CANARYKING

Next season’s fixtures

isnt the tradition now championship champions away at Liverpool on that weekend?

• Like 1

Away to Burnley first game, away to Man City on the final day

It's getting to be a bit of a joke to be honest

17/18 Away to Fulham - away to Sheffield wednesday

18/19 away to Birmingham - away to Villa

19/20 away to Liverpool - away to Man City

20/21 away to Huddersfield - away to Barnsley

Has any team in history ever been this cursed by the fixture computer? I'm convinced the guy who runs it is an Ipswich fan

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Has any team in history ever been this cursed by the fixture computer? I'm convinced the guy who runs it is an Ipswich fan

Good grief, I hadn’t realised that we have had such a run of away games on the first and last day. 

26 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Good grief, I hadn’t realised that we have had such a run of away games on the first and last day. 

It's astonishing really and I'd argue that not only is it cr4p for fans it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. You have the chance to get some crazy results against teams first game of the season and obviously that helps if you play at home and don't have to travel and stay in a hotel etc first game of the season. Plus if there's something to play for last game of the season you'd be better off at home and if you're playing a team that has nothing to play for they may be less motivated away from their fans if there's nothing riding on the game whereas at their place they might be motivated to put on a show for fans. 

We have to play away when Ipswich are at home and vice versa. Like i said I wouldn't be shocked at all if the boss of the whole thing or someone who has something to do with arranging the fixtures is a binner. 

1 hour ago, Mutley said:
1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It'll be some flawed algorhythm that is to blame, so because of that you can almost guarantee we will be away on the first and last games. 

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm into my football conspiracy theories (there's plenty of circumstantial evidence), yet even I thought this was a bit OTT. But with time on my hands today I looked at the first and last day Ipswich fixtures for those seasons and Christoph is spot on. Only one away fixture unless I've misread them. Whatever the cause (Lakey's right it could be some stupid electronic reason), that's ridiculous and way beyond what normal people would regard as random chance.

I cannot think of one single reason why we should still need to alternate with Ipswich.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Edit: I'm trying to even deduce the original reason. Casual supporters wishing to attend both? Traffic jams on the A140? Punch ups on Diss station?

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think it’s a bit different now, but when it was under the FA and there was no Premier League, it was quite complicated. One that sticks in my mind is Clacton and West Ham couldn’t be at home on the same day because of the amount of support for West Ham from that part of Essex.

*It was Southend, my apologies, and for different reasons...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
More information added
  • Thanks 2

Glad I asked. 😉😉

After wading through that I suppose the conclusion has to be we've no grounds for complaint.

I can also accept the Southend v West Ham problem having lived a short time in Basildon where most of its populace were Hammers fans (East End overspill town,) yet Southend was just up the road. I seem to remember Southend became one of the first teams to play their fixtures on a Friday evening (and I actually went to Roots Hall a couple of times for such an evening fixture) and the possible reason was to avoid a clash with West Ham or, possibly Charlton.

Edited by BroadstairsR

43 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Glad I asked. 😉😉

After wading through that I suppose the conclusion has to be we've no grounds for complaint.

I can also accept the Southend v West Ham problem having lived a short time in Basildon where most of its populace were Hammers fans (East End overspill town,) yet Southend was just up the road. I seem to remember Southend became one of the first teams to play their fixtures on a Friday evening (and I actually went to Roots Hall a couple of times for such an evening fixture) and the possible reason was to avoid a clash with West Ham or, possibly Charlton.

I used to live in  Brentwood, and me and a mate of mine went to Roots Hall several times on  a  Friday night back in the early 90's

Tranmere used to play Friday's too

27 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I used to live in  Brentwood, and me and a mate of mine went to Roots Hall several times on  a  Friday night back in the early 90's

Tranmere used to play Friday's too

Quite a few Hammers supporters used to go to Southend for those evening fixtures. They affectinately labelled the team "The End," I recall.

Part of the reason was that that Southend was a good place for a booze up and a welcome change from the bland, identical (and Watneys)  Basildon pubs. The saying was that a good night out in Basildon was to go to Southend.

Edited by BroadstairsR