Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So, when Aarons leaves will we need a new rightback?

Given the only two options we have right now would be Mumba (Talented no doubt but unsure that he's Prem level just yet- Loan out?) and Byram, who sadly probably won't be able to play for us in a wheelchair.

So, are there are rightbacks out there you can think of that would suit us? Only real requirments I would say would be not already a regular starter 'big' club (Aka not 'downgrading' to join us) and on less than 50 grand a week.

One I can think of would be Ryan Fredericks- West Ham got him for free so would probably not mind selling him on for a profit, he's not a regular first team starter and hes much more of the wingback mould than the static fullback, which suits us well.. And of course he is premier league experienced- Only real issue I feel would be the wages.

I'd prefer one more in the Byram mould to be honest. Giannoulis can just go and wreak havoc down the left. If we can afford it, I'd poach two of Middlesborough's lads in Dael Fry and their right-back, Dijksteel, looked pacey, strong and capable.

Peoples thoughts on Byram? Surely he’s unlikely to be in the first team picture.

He’s got loan written all over him should he return. I get the impression FarkWeb don’t want to cut him loose just purely out of empathy, but I shouldn’t imagine he’ll be back in contention for the Prem squad. 

7 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Peoples thoughts on Byram? Surely he’s unlikely to be in the first team picture.

He’s got loan written all over him should he return. I get the impression FarkWeb don’t want to cut him loose just purely out of empathy, but I shouldn’t imagine he’ll be back in contention for the Prem squad. 

That's what pre-season is for - gauge what standard he's at on his return.

In a word, yes we would. Going into a premier league season with just Mumba and Byram would be crazy. Why would we not need another?

11 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

The suggestion was he had some mental health issues. He’s been out for over a year as it is, the chance of him returning at all are very unlikely. We absolutely need another RB. Even if we kept max, could we rely on Mumba in the prem if max got injured?

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Would obviously need a replacement right back. The Brandon Williams on loan link seems to reflect that and I think he’d be a good option. 

There I was thinking Williams was a left back who's only ever played at leftback

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

There I was thinking Williams was a left back who's only ever played at leftback

Plays both sides and is right footed. He played left back for United as they had injuries in that position but was a right back at youth levels as well. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Farkweb - or Webbarke?

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Would obviously need a replacement right back. The Brandon Williams on loan link seems to reflect that and I think he’d be a good option. 

I think he’d be a good option as well - a RB who can play both sides like Aarons. Saw another article yesterday saying that Webber would only consider signing him if Aarons goes though

Edited by HazzaJet

29 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I think he’d be a good option as well - a RB who can play both sides like Aarons. Saw another article yesterday saying that Webber would only consider signing him if Aarons goes though

I wouldn't be surprised if he was to sign, even with Max still around - Norwich certainly were happy to sign players last summer to replace expected outgoings, before the outgoings happened. I guess whether Man U would be prepared to loan him to Norwich with no guarantee that Williams would play is another matter. Especially if other clubs are also trying to sign him.

On a free, in the summer: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathaniel-clyne/profil/spieler/85177

I've not followed his career, but I remember him being a decent player a good few years ago. I know he has had at least one bad injury and probably doesn't fit our wage structure. But, as an experienced option he would do a job with the plan of getting Mumba more first team experience and eventually first choice as the season progresses.

9 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

On a free, in the summer: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathaniel-clyne/profil/spieler/85177

I've not followed his career, but I remember him being a decent player a good few years ago. I know he has had at least one bad injury and probably doesn't fit our wage structure. But, as an experienced option he would do a job with the plan of getting Mumba more first team experience and eventually first choice as the season progresses.

Only just 30, saw on the thread about players out of contract at Selhurst Park this summer and was also wondering about him. Was a good player a few years back, 198 PL appearances and a few Champions/Europa League as well. Given his age though I wouldn’t offer him any more than a 2 year contract but having been at Anfield I fear his wages will probably be way too far out of our reach. Would only sign him if Aarons goes, but I also doubt he would want to sign for a relegation threatened side

39 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

He is very injury prone I believe - Palace are considering giving him a new contract, but depends on whether they think they can find better in the market. I think he'd be too much of a risk to have as a first choice right back, with Byram already at the club there is a limit to the number of injured full backs Norwich should carry.

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think Solskjaer said in an interview that his future probably lies at right back.

Maybe getting him a loan where he will play right back for a season is what Man United are looking for.

Spurs have a decent young RB, Tanganga who’s barely played this season. No idea why. Given we seem to have a good relationship with them, probably not inconceivable to get on loan, although will largely depend on their new manager. 

I think assuming Aarons will move on is a bit of a stretch. I genuinely can't see any other team in the EPL where he would be a first choice right back which is a big enough step up from Norwich. £30m is a lot for a right back who won't start.

18 minutes ago, Clint said:

Spurs have a decent young RB, Tanganga who’s barely played this season. No idea why. Given we seem to have a good relationship with them, probably not inconceivable to get on loan, although will largely depend on their new manager. 

He's a centre back...

29 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I think assuming Aarons will move on is a bit of a stretch. I genuinely can't see any other team in the EPL where he would be a first choice right back which is a big enough step up from Norwich. £30m is a lot for a right back who won't start.

Everton seem to be the stand out candidate for him, need a long term replacement for Coleman.

36 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Everton and Tottenham are both lacking a first choice right back. Arsenal are considering selling Bellerin so would also want a right back. This summer seems the perfect time to sell Aarons as his reputation is sky high and there are a few clubs in the market for a player in his position.

Everton have supposedly announced they are looking elsewhere. Spurs may get rid of Aurier; Arsenal may get rid of Bellerin. Is Aarons better than either of those? Debatable. Will either of them pay what we are asking? No chance.

39 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Everton have supposedly announced they are looking elsewhere. Spurs may get rid of Aurier; Arsenal may get rid of Bellerin. Is Aarons better than either of those? Debatable. Will either of them pay what we are asking? No chance.

Well this is great news according to you we will keep Buendia &Aarons as no one can afford them, are not attractive enough or looking elsewhere! 👍💚💛

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Everton are only supposedly not interested anymore due to other teams expressing their interest and muscling them out in the race to get Aarons. 

The market is likely to be a bit suppressed this summer, but I don’t think that will stop Aarons going - unfortunately I just think it will mean Norwich don’t get quite as good a deal for him. There have been plenty of teams trying to sign Aarons for over a year now keeping him any longer would be a minor miracle. I also think Norwich would rather sell him and use the money to make improvements across the squad. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Joke question yeah? 

Of course we would. 

You mean going into a season in the premier league with 1 right back who's featured 4 times in the championship, and another right back who's been out injured for over a year isn't a good idea?

I don't see why Mumba can't step up into the role, otherwise why is he here?  Bags of talent, surely will be given a go there and the only reason we haven't seen more of him is because Aarons has been so good and kept fit.  Yes, we might need another player in to the squad too, but can't see why Mumba, who is highly rated, will not get his chance.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I don't see why Mumba can't step up into the role, otherwise why is he here?  Bags of talent, surely will be given a go there and the only reason we haven't seen more of him is because Aarons has been so good and kept fit.  Yes, we might need another player in to the squad too, but can't see why Mumba, who is highly rated, will not get his chance.

Mumba is a talented player, but he has less than 180 mins of Championship football under his belt. Expecting him to step up to be a first choice Premier League right back would be too much of an ask for next season. He has a bright future, but at only 19 there is no rush to throw him into the deep end just yet.

• Like 3