Shannock1956

Emi to stay at least another season?

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect partly what has happened is that some clubs that normally would have gone down the road of that favourite of mine, the 'calculated gamble', to try to get promoted instead realised the covid-related lack of income made that impossible.

So the division has been dominated by the four clubs with parachute payments (I think Swansea were still receiving) and squads that were already strong enough, plus smartly-run Brentford.

Swansea are in their third year of parachute payments (so receiving 20% compared to  55%/45%/20% of the previous years), think the bigger factor is that they sold Dan James, Oli McBurnie and Joe Rodon for £50m between them since they went down.

9 hours ago, Indy said:

West Ham fighting relegation! Really! But they’re not interested in Buendia anyhow, as I’ve already said they are in talks with Hlozek andhisagents.

What, you think they're some kind of super team suddenly and their first thought isn't going to be avoiding relegation? They're a mid table squad doing well at the moment. Next season they could easily be a mid-table squad doing badly - especially if they are in Europe with all the extra games.

8 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Agree with the first part..... give him some games and he'd get in any side including the top 4!   

I hope you're right, but there is no evidence yet that you are. He has excelled in the Championship after disappointing slightly in the EPL last season. Why would anyone part with £40m for him when that will represent almost their entire transfer budget this year? Arsenal and Spurs have both borrowed money this year. No one outside the top 6 or 7 has that kind of money to spend on a risk, which is what he is at the moment.

10 hours ago, sgncfc said:

What, you think they're some kind of super team suddenly and their first thought isn't going to be avoiding relegation? They're a mid table squad doing well at the moment. Next season they could easily be a mid-table squad doing badly - especially if they are in Europe with all the extra games.

Well if that’s your argument then we’re a sure bet for relegation! 
Wolves, Southampton, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle, Leeds, to name a few squads worse than West Ham. But heck place a bet on them going down if your so sure they’re so poor!

With the players West Ham have and are in the market for, they’re mid table at worst. No point in trashing a team who are sitting 5th battling for a champions league spot!

Edited by Indy

We won't know if Emi will stay until that transfer window has been slammed shut.

I think his personal and family life will actually have a big say whether he stays and I'm hopeful on that point.

You can't possibly rule out someone paying £40m for him. If Villa sell Grealish to Man Utd then sadly it will be highly likely they would. West Ham are rumoured to be interested too.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/emi-buendia-aston-villa-transfer-20527037

He's certainly looked happier and much more involved in the dressing room in all ofthe footage there has been available this season. He has grown into a role in the leadership group of the team and in the recent celebrations is right in the thick of it whereas at times in the past he's seemed a little detached. I'm sure improved language skills and his family situation have helpd. I am also hopeful that his bond with the club has become sufficiently strong that he will be happy to stay for another season but once those agents get involved and the £££££ start being waved in front of them/him then who knows. 

I was mocked for it on another post but if the fee is not too much I would seriously consider keeping Quintilla as our back up left back in part because he has got better with each game of late but also because its clear that he and Emi are huge pals which has helped. Maybe we can get him back on another season long loan with an option to buy to de-risk it.

Saw an article that apparently he wants to help us fight for survival next season, which would be great if he does as we need him. If we don’t survive though, I can only see him going next summer

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/emi-buendia-aston-villa-transfer-20527037?fbclid=IwAR1dX4yW0Gi7kdZwFaybLIG1yxVXGCfGViRRuz7EKCxPjIrWEo4-9x9wgPA

Edited by HazzaJet

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I hope you're right, but there is no evidence yet that you are. He has excelled in the Championship after disappointing slightly in the EPL last season. Why would anyone part with £40m for him when that will represent almost their entire transfer budget this year? Arsenal and Spurs have both borrowed money this year. No one outside the top 6 or 7 has that kind of money to spend on a risk, which is what he is at the moment.

Think I am right on Emi, there is no evidence on the basis he's never played for a top 4 club, however there is evidence on the park.... and in the stats.... On the park, if you watch closely, he is so instinctive and it takes some brain to see the pictures that quickly, he gets the pass away so quick and that's often why Teemu is one of one with the keeper so often.... it isn't just Teemu's movement that makes the difference.       As for his quality, conversely, Steipermann (who I don't rate at all) sees the pictures too, but why Emi is so good, he can execute what he sees.    Add to that Emi can dribble, defend, maintain possession under pressure and now he's added goals. 

Stats..... 4th in chances created in EPL playing in a side that got woefully relegated.  4th in dribbles completed 102 (behind Traore, Zaha and St Maximin) in EPL, against Wolves, he created nine chances / completed nine take-ons (the only player to record 8+ in each of these stats in a single Premier League game since 2003/04, joining Eden Hazard).   308 completed passes into the opponents box this season, that's an insane number.     How many more assists would he have got this season if Teemu had finished the chances he should have.     Lets face it, he's missed a load of sitters put on a plate by Emi.   

Emi playing in a top side, there's only one way his stats are going!     Wouldn't take him long to impress the likes of Guardiola and Klopp!     

Edited by ged in the onion bag

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Well if that’s your argument then we’re a sure bet for relegation! 
Wolves, Southampton, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle, Leeds, to name a few squads worse than West Ham. But heck place a bet on them going down if your so sure they’re so poor!

With the players West Ham have and are in the market for, they’re mid table at worst. No point in trashing a team who are sitting 5th battling for a champions league spot!

Calm down. No one trashed anyone. West Ham are in the same bracket as all those clubs you mention, along with Villa, Palace etc Any of them could find themselves in a relegation battle with us next season. The only teams in the EPL who will never be troubled by relegation again are the top 6 or 7.

The point (which you seem to be missing) is that Buendia won't go to any of these teams - firstly, they don't have the money and secondly they are not enough of a step up for him.

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Calm down. No one trashed anyone. West Ham are in the same bracket as all those clubs you mention, along with Villa, Palace etc Any of them could find themselves in a relegation battle with us next season. The only teams in the EPL who will never be troubled by relegation again are the top 6 or 7.

The point (which you seem to be missing) is that Buendia won't go to any of these teams - firstly, they don't have the money and secondly they are not enough of a step up for him.

What if they sold a player to finance a move for Buendia? They all have decent assets after all, are you Emi’s agent? 

Teemu Pukki's form is the #1 reason Emi stays. He just needed the confidence the rest of the team will be good enough. He appears confident.

We'll lose Emi in summer 2022 for an absolutely mindboggling sum of money whether we relegate or not.

16 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I was under the impression pretty much every club in Spain are potless right now? Including Atletico who would be the main worry if they ever come knocking. 

Even Real and Barca are screwed financially

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I’m calm just can’t see your point at all! West Ham are pretty much pushing for champions league yet you bracket them with Villa & Brighton! 
As for West Ham as I’ve said number of times they are after Hlozek at 18 million and reports are they’re in advanced talks, only to be scuppered if one of the big clubs jump in.

But to discard Villa as not in Buendia’s interests is a tad dangerous, they’ll pretty much going to have Grealish funds, so wouldn’t write them nor Leeds, with Bielsa in charge.