Shannock1956

Emi to stay at least another season?

"Emi Buendia says he is determined to help Norwich City put up a fight to stay in the Premier League after being a part of the Canaries side who were relegated with a whimper last year".

"Buendia has played a vital role in helping the Carrow Road club return to the top-flight at the first time of asking with an outstanding campaign in the Championship".

• Like 2

No one will pay £40m for Emi this summer. Relax, he's going nowhere.

Let's hope that the first sentence is kosher.

If he does remain and excels with City next season then it's next stop Barcelona? Cold hostile Leeds? Bah! Humbug!

He is a much better player now than two years ago, experience, development, success, contentment and Farkism have seen to that.

First £1m transfer Justin Fashanu??

First £5m transfer Chris Sutton?

Firs £100m transfer Emi Buendia?

😉

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He is a much better player now than two years ago, experience, development, success, contentment and Farkism have seen to that.

This is so true, the question is how much.

Chumps was abysmal this year, ripping it up doesn't really tell anyone much about his ability at the highest level so the challenge in answering that question is what is probably putting the blocker on ny £40m transfer interest.

He will be here for this next season, beyond that is much more questionable. Stay up and he's proven his worth as an established Premier League player. Get relegated and he arguably deserves to play at a higher level. Quite possibly for the first time since Maddison we really need to do well this season in order to keep hold of our best assets, get relegated again and I can see a fair few getting moves away

He seems like a real family man as well and settled in Norfolk. I think that makes a difference even to modern day footballers. Lets face it he will earn a fortune over the next 10 years or so, I hope he gives us at least 1 more season.

14 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Chumps was abysmal this year, ripping it up doesn't really tell anyone much about his ability at the highest level so the challenge in answering that question is what is probably putting the blocker on ny £40m transfer interest.

Massively disagree with this, the teams there have all arguably improved since we last won the title, especially at the higher end of the table. Both B'mouth and Watford spent around the same we did. Norwich have performed more consistently at a higher level than we did 2 seasons ago, that's why it was 'abysmal' because we made it look that way. The championship is not an easy league to get out of, we should not be taking that for granted - to do it twice in two seasons there as champions is an unbelievable achievement 

"This is so true, the question is how much.

Chumps was abysmal this year, ripping it up doesn't really tell anyone much about his ability at the highest level so the challenge in answering that question is what is probably putting the blocker on ny £40m transfer interest."

I did say, "than two years ago," ie.when he was last in the Chumps.

Maybe the league is of a lower quality than before. It's been said, but perhaps there's just been more polarisation.

Having said that, Reading were no mugs and quite a few others have manged to hold us to just the one goal advantage.

A whole season has many complexions. It's hard to compare  levels with any certainty.

I thought Wednesday had some decent play on offer and they look like going down.

Bristol City have some very useful individuals, not least Massengo.

Edited by BroadstairsR

38 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

No one will pay £40m for Emi this summer. Relax, he's going nowhere.

I wouldn’t be so sure. 

• Like 1

Yes there’s a couple Spanish clubs who might just splash the cash, those in the champions league next year. Not sure those apart from Villa if they lose Grealish will have enough money.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Massively disagree with this, the teams there have all arguably improved since we last won the title, especially at the higher end of the table. Both B'mouth and Watford spent around the same we did. Norwich have performed more consistently at a higher level than we did 2 seasons ago, that's why it was 'abysmal' because we made it look that way. The championship is not an easy league to get out of, we should not be taking that for granted - to do it twice in two seasons there as champions is an unbelievable achievement 

Absolutely this. The Championship has arguably been of a better technical quality this season than ever before with more and more teams trying to play good football. Now you could argue that we've won the title largely by consistently beating the inferior teams rather than necessarily being better than the other top teams (borne out by the results against the other relegated sides), but I certainly have never seen such high quality football played at this level.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. 

It works two ways.

The blank year might well have stretched the big clubs a lot but some have bottomless pits and  might look to  gain advantage over their rivals and expand big-time in order to get to get that head start.

The safety car has been in operation for a season. Some will be looking to jump the gun once it leaves the track.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes there’s a couple Spanish clubs who might just splash the cash, those in the champions league next year. Not sure those apart from Villa if they lose Grealish will have enough money.

Everton, West Ham, Leicester and quite a few others probably could afford it. 

30 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The plus side for us is that the market isn't great for mid level clubs- so a team like Leeds or Newcastle can't afford him really and would the top teams take a gamble?

It seems like Aarons has been earmarked as the one we can sell, get a good price for and replace without too much fuss. Buendia would be extremely difficult to replace, hence the massive price tag everyone puts on his head.

Arsenal made sense in that they are big enough to be a draw and afford him but in a rut that means they have to 'aim lower' with targets than they might have done 3 or 4 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Everton, West Ham, Leicester and quite a few others probably could afford it. 

I don’t think they can, not on one player, WestHam are in talks for Hlozek same type of player for 18 million, Leicester don’t really need Buendia and two serious links are Arsenal & Villa. But we shall see.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I don’t think they can, not on one player, WestHam are in talks for Hlozek same type of player for 18 million, Leicester don’t really need Buendia and two serious links are Arsenal & Villa. But we shall see.

We certainly will, should be a very interesting summer transfer wise. 

• Like 1

We're in the Premier League, no reason to move anywhere unless it is to a top six side. 

He seems happy, settled with young family, is appreciated at the club and will be the main man in our campaign. The only reason to move to a lesser club like Leeds or Villa would be money and that should never be the main motivation for a footballer who is already on good money. Yes, money is obviously part of any equation, but really, once you are at a Premier League club, there is no advantage footballing wise in moving to a club unless it is one of the very top ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Farke and Webber have effectively already said that when he goes, as with Aarons and potentially Cantwell, he will go for the right money and to the right club. Villa are not that club for Buendia; nor are West Ham. They are as likely to be fighting relegation as we are. It's true that Atletico Madrid might be; so might Leeds be if Bielsa stays, but neither will pay what we want - yet. Neither will a top 6 club in England.

Of the three "jewels" I am most confident about Buendia staying. I actually think all three will stay, at least until January - again, because I don't think anyone will yet pay our valuations.

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

....but its the split second that he sees the pictures, and then executes them that tells anyone.....  doesn't matter what level its at, he has that ability instinctively..... watching him, it's impossible to execute any quicker.     308 completed passes into an opponents box tells anyone he's special.   

.... not sure what these top sides are waiting for but Arsenal aren't big enough for him.        

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

The Top 6 have won more points after 45 games this season than the Top 6 did in the whole of the 2 previous seasons.

43 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Farke and Webber have effectively already said that when he goes, as with Aarons and potentially Cantwell, he will go for the right money and to the right club. Villa are not that club for Buendia; nor are West Ham. They are as likely to be fighting relegation as we are. It's true that Atletico Madrid might be; so might Leeds be if Bielsa stays, but neither will pay what we want - yet. Neither will a top 6 club in England.

Of the three "jewels" I am most confident about Buendia staying. I actually think all three will stay, at least until January - again, because I don't think anyone will yet pay our valuations.

West Ham fighting relegation! Really! But they’re not interested in Buendia anyhow, as I’ve already said they are in talks with Hlozek andhisagents.

10 minutes ago, Imported Canary said:

The Top 6 have won more points after 45 games this season than the Top 6 did in the whole of the 2 previous seasons.

That kind of backs up the point- the top 6 were so far ahead of the rest of league as ita largely dross this year due to covid based issues.

The bottom 6 this season have so far gained only slightly less points than last season’s finishing positions. Not sure it’s turned to dross. 

I think he’s going to stay for another year, I think the market is an odd place and we have a happy player who is about to play at the top level in world football again. I think Buendia knows he needs top flight game time to showcase he is good enough for those top 4 sides in England/Spain and many of those clubs might be waiting to see what he does between now and next January or summer before they effectively drop 45 million on him. I think it would be a risk for him to go to Villa, West Ham or Leeds as that’s not exactly a massive step up from where he is, but could potentially derail a move to a Liverpool or Atletico that could be 6 months or consistent football away. 

Enjoy him while we have him. I think in 10 years we will look back and say ‘I can’t believe Emi Buendia kicked on with Norwich’ with the potential he has.

I think if we're gonna convince him to stay then we need to strengthen the side considerably. He's not really going to want to be in a struggling side if he can avoid it. He'd get in just about any side outside maybe the top 4 in the prem

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I think if we're gonna convince him to stay then we need to strengthen the side considerably. He's not really going to want to be in a struggling side if he can avoid it. He'd get in just about any side outside maybe the top 4 in the prem

Agree with the first part..... give him some games and he'd get in any side including the top 4!   

If he is staying give him a new contract on improved terms to show how important he is to City.

9 hours ago, Indy said:

I was under the impression pretty much every club in Spain are potless right now? Including Atletico who would be the main worry if they ever come knocking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

That kind of backs up the point- the top 6 were so far ahead of the rest of league as ita largely dross this year due to covid based issues.

I suspect partly what has happened is that some clubs that normally would have gone down the road of that favourite of mine, the 'calculated gamble', to try to get promoted instead realised the covid-related lack of income made that impossible.

So the division has been dominated by the four clubs with parachute payments (I think Swansea were still receiving) and squads that were already strong enough, plus smartly-run Brentford.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect partly what has happened is that some clubs that normally would have gone down the road of that favourite of mine, the 'calculated gamble', to try to get promoted instead realised the covid-related lack of income made that impossible.

So the division has been dominated by the four clubs with parachute payments (I think Swansea were still receiving) and squads that were already strong enough, plus smartly-run Brentford.

I don't think it's clubs just choosing not to gamble- the spend of Championship clubs went from around £210m last season to £70m this season (according to transfermarkt) despite sales only being down £20m (£360m last season to £340m this).

The whole heart was ripped out of the Championship transfer market. Based on that you can see why people worry about the long term future of the league as a competition.