Tetteys Jig

Mario Gone 💔

A beautiful man and an exquisite footballer. His only flaws, and surely the reason we are letting him go, are his age and physicality: he is slightly lacking in pace and cannot improve that at this stage of his career. He has genuinely world-class ability with the ball matched by his creativity and vision. If he had the physical attributes to match then he would be playing for a much bigger club than Norwich.

I'll never forget the way he almost single-handedly took us over the line to the title in 2019. I still think he could do a job in this squad and I really hope we don't look back on his departure with regret like with some previous club legends.

• Like 2

"I'll never forget the way he almost single-handedly took us over the line to the title in 2019. I still think he could do a job in this squad and I really hope we don't look back on his departure with regret like with some previous club legends."

The problem with that Petrix is that to keep him on would add to the club's  wages bill (at Premier League levels as well.)

We all know that we need to strengthen the team in certain areas. To get the right players we will be competing with other clubs in a market where wages on offer are a major draw.

The more we spend on these "could do a job players" or these "sentiment" players (AT for his role in the dressing room etc. etc.) the less will be available to offer prospective 'crucial' signings.

Vrancic , Tettey and a few others are not "crucial" for next season.

• Like 1

His talent has been obvious since day one- his first season struggles were generally due to adjusting to the pace and physicality on the league and always wanting and extra touch. Once he got used to that he was really able to shine but as others have said the lack of physicality and pace means he struggles in the defensive side of the game when part of a deeper midfield two.  

Shame we couldn't have given him one more year, his key attributes will not diminish with age.

A lovely footballer, in the same category as Hoolahan, Maddison and Buendia in terms of natural football ability. Beautiful to watch, shame Farke didn't play him more. Especially last season, I think he improved us. That first half against Spurs @ home he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. And this season he was key to getting us going, and holding on through a difficult where we could have folded due to injuries. 

A real class footballer. Hope he gets a move to a club in a top European division. Wouldn't want to see him play for another English club tbh. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

He's better in a 4-3-2-1. He's not got enough physicality / defence to be in a defensive two. Think Pirlo in that early 2000s AC Milan side under Ancelotti as he had Gattuso and another alongside him. One as a tackler/blocker (Gattuso), one as a box-to-box player, and he was there to pick the passes.

Vrancic is at his most dangerous picking channel balls for someone to run on, whether Pukki or a wide midfielder, although he's pretty adept at incisive balls further up. As others said, he liked taking an extra touch, and in English football in the number 10 position, it's very hard to get that time up there and a bit easier when in a deep-lying playmaker position.

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Wouldn't want to see him play for another English club tbh. 

Totally, he's got cult status here now, and the green eyed monster doesn't want him to play for anyone else to ruin that sentimentality!

I'd make a terrible hiring manager...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"I'll never forget the way he almost single-handedly took us over the line to the title in 2019. I still think he could do a job in this squad and I really hope we don't look back on his departure with regret like with some previous club legends."

The problem with that Petrix is that to keep him on would add to the club's  wages bill (at Premier League levels as well.)

We all know that we need to strengthen the team in certain areas. To get the right players we will be competing with other clubs in a market where wages on offer are a major draw.

The more we spend on these "could do a job players" or these "sentiment" players (AT for his role in the dressing room etc. etc.) the less will be available to offer prospective 'crucial' signings.

Vrancic , Tettey and a few others are not "crucial" for next season.

I fully appreciate the dichotomy. Ultimately Dowell has replaced him and could well go on to be the better player. I'm just struggling to imagine Placheta being good enough for a squad that Vrancic isn't.

We do need to upgrade in several areas but we could find ourselves in a situation where, through injury or signings falling through, we have to play someone less able than Vrancic after letting him go.

57 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I fully appreciate the dichotomy. Ultimately Dowell has replaced him and could well go on to be the better player. I'm just struggling to imagine Placheta being good enough for a squad that Vrancic isn't.

We do need to upgrade in several areas but we could find ourselves in a situation where, through injury or signings falling through, we have to play someone less able than Vrancic after letting him go.

We were struggling to imagine Cantwell doing as well in the Premier as he did at the time as some of his performances in the Championship in the first promotion season were very mixed indeed, as you may remember plenty were thinking he'd need to go on loan.

I think Placheta could basically do the same. He'll do better when games are more open, as he's shown in Poland matches. Getting him to play effectively when most opposition park the bus is a very hard ask.

21 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

He's out of contract in the summer at Bristol City and has been on loan in Scotland somewhere 😆

To be fair to the bloke, he was crap and is not Championship level, but a loan at Aberdeen is a decent move for somebody who was at Bath City when he was at 21. 

5 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Shame we couldn't have given him one more year, his key attributes will not diminish with age.

I think its the right decision, he doesn't have the legs to start games in the Premier League.

Been a good servant, has an excellent football brain and very good technique, but its more than obvious that his legs are going and he needs to play out his career in a less physical or slower paced league. 

Have to know when to cut your ties with players, this is the right time with both Tettey and Vrancic.

And better than he ends his career here on a high right? 

Players have to be replaced and while I appreciated his ability, I never thought he really was what we wanted. He found it difficult to play the roles we gave him because he was well short of pace.

Postives outweigh the negatives  when thinking about Mario. The posts here speak for itself, Mario will always be remembered fondly for his exquisite moments, a fine Canary who will always be welcomed in Norfolk on any return visits. All the best Mario, you have made a mark in our hearts.

• Like 3

On 04/05/2021 at 20:35, Branston Pickle said:

No, that’s just not true - he was given a fair crack over the years but was never truly a first XI starter, though of course was a valuable member of the squad.  Looking at it without sentiment he would play a lot less in the PL so it makes perfect sense for him to get the benefit of leaving and joining someone as a ‘free’ signing.

I dont feel my comment wasn't that wrong, he seems to play 4 or 5 games and then get dropped and rarely brought on, just my opinion and I get what you're saying too

Like with Tettey, I’d like to think that both the club and the player came to an amicable decision. Whilst I’d have loved Mario to get another one year deal and make cameo appearances next season, I suspect that wouldn’t be great for him at this stage in his career. 

Sad to see them leave and best of luck to both. 

Edited by Clint