Thought he deserved a separate thread of his own. His highlights reel for us will be something else!

Arrived with minimal fanfare and took a little bit of time to get going but once he did, what a great player he was for us! That free kick vs Sheff Weds was stuff of folklore!

• Like 9

Super Mario will always be associated with one of the most joyous few weeks in our history. He was absolutely stellar in the run in of our last promotion season; starting with a fantastic individual display away at Leeds. He then followed this up with that never to be forgotten 97th minute free kick against Sheffield Wednesday and then a  25 yard stunner into the top corner in the match against Blackburn where we clinched promotion. As if that wasn't enough he then scored from 20 yards away at Villa to seal the title.

Those few weeks were a fantastic time to be a City fan and Mario will always be the player we think of when recalling it. Thanks for the great memories Mario and the very best of luck wherever your career takes you next.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Wasn't he Farke's first ever signing? I don't count Marley Watkins as clearly that was already happening when Farke arrived.

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Wasn't he Farke's first ever signing? I don't count Marley Watkins as clearly that was already happening when Farke arrived.

What has happened to Marley Watkins??? 

Just now, hurricane said:

What has happened to Marley Watkins??? 

He's out of contract in the summer at Bristol City and has been on loan in Scotland somewhere 😆

Fortunate enough to be behind the goal for that beauty. It really was a Good Friday, felt like a win. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

I remember the free kick against Sheff Weds, I was in a pub in Crouch End with minimal signal. Me and my buddy were both glum about the fact it was points lost against Sheff Weds as signal kept going in and out.

Then a text comes through from another friend of mine simply titled “Vrancic”. I exploded in the pub, was a midweek (from memory) and people looked at me as if I was insane. We promptly went back to my mates and watched the free kick time and time again and had a few more drinks to celebrate.

Always rated the guy, even in that first season under Farke where he received a fair bit of flak, I even got his names printed on that purple third kit. 

Quality professional, always came across as a really considered character and given his personal history guy has done so well.

Bit sad but equally he barely shines through this season bar early flourishes. Will leave on a high, and good luck to him, his goals paved the way for the club’s success and he’ll always be remembered for that Wednesday goal!!!

I feel that Mario was never given a fair chance, he played a few games then has an average game and gets dropped and not a look In again for ages. Think Mario would do a job in the prem next season, great ball player, ok he's not a hard hitting ball winner but we can get another for the nitty gritty. Such a shame. Good luck super Mario 

• Like 1

Was in a bar watching that free kick on the eve of my wedding. Was there with both sides of my family around and our room erupted when that went in!

• Thanks 1

I actually think Vrancic took very little time to take to the English game. The biggest problem I could see at that time, was that there were players capable of playing the Farke way, and there were others, who were very one dimensional in their approach. At times, you could really see it play out on the pitch as players passed and moved and others waited for something or moved for something that wasn't happening. Some of it is footballing intelligence I think.

Watkins was one who struggled. Playing as a forward Vs Wolves with Maddison as a No.10 - he always looked like he wanted to run but waited for the ball to be played first. He didn't seem to realise that he should run, never question. Drag the defence about, create spaces for others. It meant Maddison only came up against dead ends because of no movement in front of him to feed the ball to or to create space for him to exploit.

It was glaringly obvious to me back then.

Vrancic beckoned a new era, the players that were capable of Farke-ball gained value very quickly and were sold. Like the Murphy's, Pritchard and Maddison. That set a trend I feel.

I think the time is right to let him go though. He's 32 towards the end of this month, and everything Farke has said about him is spot on. He's more of a straight forward CM, a similar sort of player to Surman in that he is a slick passer but perhaps not the fastest moving.

The issue for him in our set up is that all of our attacking players need to get up and down the pitch with some speed. He doesn't have that, his legs have gone. And as Farke says, he is more suited to a No.10 role than the two holding/defensive roles as he isn't really either. He's not a holding midfielder (Fox/McClean) and he's not a defensive midfielder (Tettey).

It's sad as I really rate him as a player. I just don't think he fits into our system now, but we certainly have to give him credit for being part of the new era that built the foundations for it.

• Like 1

Really good player for us and what we paid for him. Still fondly remember defending him on these forums and in the stands when he first signed for us, with many thinking League One was a level too high for him and other football-illiterate opinions...

I think the fact that despite those early criticisms he will be remembered fondly by pretty much all is testament to what he achieved here. I imagine he will get a decent final contract in Germany or wherever he likes after his time here.

Vrancic suffered in his first season as Maddison was the obvious king in his position, so he found himself doing a Stiepermann in that he was shoe-horned into positions that didn't show him at his very best. There was no coincidence that when his best positions became available, and when the team was built a bit more around him, he - like Stiepermann for that matter - thrived.

The timing's good on this one though. He did look like one of those who didn't make the step up too well, so he can leave with his head held high, with two championship medals in his locker, and still has a few years to be a rock-solid, creative pro elsewhere. He's one of those who's positively contributed to the history and development of our club, but this is the point at which the club may just have outgrown him.

But anything less than fondness and appreciation for his efforts and professionalism, as well as some of those goals and touches, would not do him justice.

• Like 1

Mario Vrancic was the player signed to replace James Maddison - and it is entirely to Vrancic's credit that he leaves the club having created his own legacy, rather than being Maddison mk II.

For me, his peak was Leeds Utd, two years ago. He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. I remember watching Leeds try and deal with him. Adam Forshaw was made to look like a Sunday league player by him repeatedly. It was a performance that if James Maddison had given it, would have been splashed all over the papers. 

And like has already been said - I'll never forget those free kicks. Moments like that live with you as a fan, those times frustration turn to utter, utter joy.

While Tettey leaving might be the one that tugs on the heart strings the most, Vrancic deserves his own send off and his place on a fairly exclusive list of people who, if they return to Norfolk, should never have to buy a pint ever again.  

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

I feel that Mario was never given a fair chance, he played a few games then has an average game and gets dropped and not a look In again for ages. Think Mario would do a job in the prem next season, great ball player, ok he's not a hard hitting ball winner but we can get another for the nitty gritty. Such a shame. Good luck super Mario 

No, that’s just not true - he was given a fair crack over the years but was never truly a first XI starter, though of course was a valuable member of the squad.  Looking at it without sentiment he would play a lot less in the PL so it makes perfect sense for him to get the benefit of leaving and joining someone as a ‘free’ signing.

Edited by Branston Pickle

It will be interesting to see whether he goes back to Germany or gets an offer from a championship club

29 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

It will be interesting to see whether he goes back to Germany or gets an offer from a championship club

Wonder if he'd link up with Srbeny again at Paderborn in the 2. Bundesliga?

Mario "Moments" Vrancic. Whenever I think of him, I think of big moments; goals or epic through balls that clinched big points. Thanks for the amazing memories Mario.

10 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Was it Mario's pass for the Pukki "goal" against Spurs last year? A peach of a pass

Yes it was.

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit sad we haven't kept him as an impact sub for next year, but maybe he wanted to go elsewhere and play. What a job he could do for someone like Forest or Cardiff - a team that just needs some creative spark. Great player from deep and of course those free kicks. Still only 31.....

An undoubtedly talented player that had some incredibly impactful moments for us. The free kicks, the title clincher, the screamer against Blackburn, the cheeky assist for Max and many others. Possesses a wand of a left peg and is an extremely elegant player to watch. Despite all of that, somehow I always felt he made more of a mark from the bench, perhaps because he isn't the fleetest and his speed of thought was even more effective against a physically and mentally tired opposition. The stats don't back this up so much, apparently of his last 26 starts we won 18 and drew 8, yet I still can't help being of the opinion he was better from the bench. 

Anyway, if what I thought mattered we'd probably be in the Anglian Comb. 

Some great memories, a fine footballer and a double Championship Champion. Cheers Mario, go well. 

• Like 1

Slick and technically gifted. That is vrancic.

That first championship season he was often brought on for leitner in the first half of the season and set up important goals. Then that night at Leeds was sublime in a hot bed of an atmosphere. The game against Sheffield Wednesday and so on.

Let's not forget that amazing pass to pukki in our prem campaign that was on the volley. 

Part of title winning championship teams and deserves to be recognised.

• Like 1

Got to be up there with the top "left-footers" the club has ever had. Paid his transfer fee back in spades.

Like Tettey, as a senior player, he would expect a decent payrise for being a PL player, so in practical terms, the numbers just don't up.

But it's the start of the end of an era. No more Super Mario, we're unlikely to see much more of Stieps and with Leitner and Trybull probably moving permanently on, we are definitely in the second age of Webber and Farke. Fewer bargain, under-appreciated gems from Germany and the net cast far wider.

Absolutely one of my favourite players Norwich have ever had. Great memories of goals scored and created. Not used enough last season imo as we needed moments of magic (like his wonder pass against Spurs) and as people have said, his contribution to the last promotion was superb, absolutely key to our success that season.

So he goes with thanks and appreciation from me as a superb player and character and his artistry and goals will leave a lasting impression on the history of our club. 

I guess he really needs a team to be built around him, which was not going to happen under DF but that goal against Sheff Utd and the one against Blackburn which were both things of absolute beauty rank for me alongside Goss's goals in merit.

Cheers Mario, good luck in the future.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Absolutely one of my favourite players Norwich have ever had. Great memories of goals scored and created. Not used enough last season imo as we needed moments of magic (like his wonder pass against Spurs) and as people have said, his contribution to the last promotion was superb, absolutely key to our success that season.

So he goes with thanks and appreciation from me as a superb player and character and his artistry and goals will leave a lasting impression on the history of our club. 

I guess he really needs a team to be built around him, which was not going to happen under DF but that goal against Sheff Utd and the one against Blackburn which were both things of absolute beauty rank for me alongside Goss's goals in merit.

Cheers Mario, good luck in the future.

Snodgrass was better. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Snodgrass was better. 

Not sure if you are serious about that, probabaly not, but that is like comparing chalk and cheese. 

Mario - class act from beginning to end, no more needs to be said.