Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Buendia New Contract Rumour

This one little emoji by Emi Buendia has sent Norwich fans mad on twitter today

I'm not having it myself.

Pay him £75k a week for a new 3 year deal, that's £15m, we couldn't replace him for that price.

Screenshot_20210504-142836_Twitter.jpg

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Could mean "writing history", not "signing a contract".

Thats what I was thinking, with his contract already running to 2024, and obviously pay now going back up because of promotion I can't see why he would sign a new one unless we was offering silly money, which I'm sure we wouldn't be.

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Thats what I was thinking, with his contract already running to 2024, and obviously pay now going back up because of promotion I can't see why he would sign a new one unless we was offering silly money, which I'm sure we wouldn't be.

Not entirely counter-intuitive though. Bonus for going up - instead of just a pay rise, he might have been promised "listen, you're one of our stars, get us up and we'll redo your contract". That would also have the benefit of adding another year on it, which would also safeguard our investment and ensure we get top dollar if we do sell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not entirely counter-intuitive though. Bonus for going up - instead of just a pay rise, he might have been promised "listen, you're one of our stars, get us up and we'll redo your contract". That would also have the benefit of adding another year on it, which would also safeguard our investment and ensure we get top dollar if we do sell.

I hope you're correct, the job of finding someone to replace him is one hell of a job. Us having a decent crack at the prem next year relies on Buendia being there. Lose him and its already an up hill battle.

wouldnt surprise me if we give him an improved contract with some sort of buy out clause in it but whether his agent would allow him to sign it is a different matter

13 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I hope you're correct, the job of finding someone to replace him is one hell of a job. Us having a decent crack at the prem next year relies on Buendia being there. Lose him and its already an up hill battle.

It's a complete guess, so I wouldn't place any store by it.

I would read it as writing history - but agree if it comes to it money to keep him will be worth every penny. He'll be going eventually though, but hopefully we get at least one more season out of him

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

wouldnt surprise me if we give him an improved contract with some sort of buy out clause in it but whether his agent would allow him to sign it is a different matter

As shown by Hucks, it isn’t (just) up to the Agent and isn’t just down to money.  Clearly it is going to be a consideration, but motivation isn’t always purely financial...and of course none of our first team players are poor by any normal measure.  Should Emi stay with us, as things stand, his worth will only increase. 

£ money is a factor, but only one part of the whole decision. Emi has a young family & seems very happy here. The club, coaches & fans have been very good to him & vice-versa. 

Norfolk is a safe place to bring up youngsters isn't it? Yes, a football career is short & he's an absolute gem. However, he's not an international (yet). He could continue to grow with Norwich, however he may favour a new challenge...

We'll soon see what he values most in life won't we? He'll literally vote with his feet.

10 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

£ money is a factor, but only one part of the whole decision. Emi has a young family & seems very happy here. The club, coaches & fans have been very good to him & vice-versa. 

Norfolk is a safe place to bring up youngsters isn't it? Yes, a football career is short & he's an absolute gem. However, he's not an international (yet). He could continue to grow with Norwich, however he may favour a new challenge...

We'll soon see what he values most in life won't we? He'll literally vote with his feet.

will be watching out for Argentina's next squad announcement.... be gutted for him if he's not in it!  For me, he's so instinctively creative (and able to execute what he sees) he gets in any team on the planet, even Man City.    Would give him an extra few million to stay next season as it could elevate our project to the next level.

You're last sentence sounds a tad unreasonable though! 

Edited by ged in the onion bag

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

will be watching out for Argentina's next squad announcement.... be gutted for him if he's not in it!  For me, he's so instinctively creative (and able to execute what he sees) he gets in any team on the planet, even Man City.    Would give him an extra few million to stay next season as it could elevate our project to the next level.

You're last sentence sounds a tad unreasonable though! 

Why unreasonable Ged? Whether he stays or leaves will be firmly down to whatever he values most. 

It would be nice to think that his exceptional partnership with Teemu Pukki would be a contributing factor to EMI playing for Norwich in the PL next season.

I know it was said that Maddison was irreplaceable.

The imperious Buendia is absolutely irreplaceable. Not least because he gets the best out of Pukki.

48 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Why unreasonable Ged? Whether he stays or leaves will be firmly down to whatever he values most. 

Sounds too much like its what you value most!   No one is going to turn down the opportunity to play Champions League football, his stock is high and he may be ambitious... can't fault that because he might value Norfolk!      Hope he doesn't go but for his career he may see it as necessary.... by the sounds of it he's not being noticed by the Argentina National coach, he would if he was playing at Man. City..... be gutted if we lose him but couldn't criticise him at all if he left for the right team.       No one could, he's given us everything he has. 

Get another year from him in the Premiership. Let him truly prove that he's as good at elite level as we already believe then add a few extra million to his value from there. Plus, keeping him here those extra 12 months gives us a much greater chance of survival.

Edited by Michael Starr

£40-50k a week with healthy bonus for keeping City in PL.  If he performs half as well as we think he can in PL clubs will be falling over to sign and big ones at that he will go at end of next season.  Better than Grealish but City cannot hold onto a player of Emi's calibre for more than the one season.  

I really value Emi but we tend to have yellow and green glasses and last season he didn't exactly set the PL on fire. Probably the one player that didn't noticeably 'step up' as expected.

Many a suitor might like to see how it goes 2nd time around before they offer really big money.

Hence we might, as with Aarons before, be able to hold onto him for another, this time glorious, EPL year? 

Most chances created in the 2019/20 Premier League season

𝟏 De Bruyne (136)

𝟐 Grealish (91)

𝟑 Alexander-Arnold (87)

𝟒 Buendia (83)

𝟓 Maddison (79)

𝟔 Moutinho (77)

𝟕 Willian (76)

𝟖 Digne 72)

𝟗 Ward-Prowse (62)

𝟏𝟎 Salah (61)

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Most chances created in the 2019/20 Premier League season

𝟏 De Bruyne (136)

𝟐 Grealish (91)

𝟑 Alexander-Arnold (87)

𝟒 Buendia (83)

𝟓 Maddison (79)

𝟔 Moutinho (77)

𝟕 Willian (76)

𝟖 Digne 72)

𝟗 Ward-Prowse (62)

𝟏𝟎 Salah (61)

^This.

Can’t believe how many people still say he didn’t cut it in the prem. His assists stats may not have looked great, but you need the receiver of the ball to put it in the net for that - he created a lot of chances in a struggling team that had a poor defensive structure behind him. Job done for a creative attacking midfielder in my opinion. 

59 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

^This.

Can’t believe how many people still say he didn’t cut it in the prem. His assists stats may not have looked great, but you need the receiver of the ball to put it in the net for that - he created a lot of chances in a struggling team that had a poor defensive structure behind him. Job done for a creative attacking midfielder in my opinion. 

100% agree here, people saying he didn't cut it are just spouting out of the top of their heads. 

He was good but not brilliant last time in the Premier league , this player has matured and gone on to another level now. If we still have Emi come August Norwich City are blessed. 

2 hours ago, Vazzza said:

^This.

He spent a lot of time at the bottom of the midfield trying to dribble and pass his way up with the ball. Most of the time Norwich was stuck in their own half that season. A ball playing centreback like Gibson and an improved Hanley will make us slightly more press resistant. We were also often playing players like Tom Trybull and Tettey at the bottom of the midfield. With all due respect to them, as a pair they were just not good enough. 

With a more experienced and slightly higher quality squad Buendia will be able to focus more on his offensive duties and will be able to get 10+10 goals and assists. I think its pretty noticeable that he has improved as a goalscorer since his last forray into the premier league

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Tie him down.... no seriously, like Gulliver in Gulliver's travels,  do anything to make sure he goes nowhere. 

Or like that mad one that held James Caan hostage, smash his ankles with a sledgehammer......... ok, that plan is a bit flawed.

He cut it in attacking terms as the chance creation stats show. He did probably give the ball away in dangerous areas too often last time we were up. Hopefully he will have learnt from that.