Jim Smith

Dowell really starting to impact games in recent weeks

Have to say I wasn't immediately Dowell in the side alongside Todd works as they are a bit similar and I do think he can go quiet in games at timesbut you can;t really argue with Dowell's return in terms of goals and assists since he came back into the side a few weeks ago. Could have had a few more assists too if Pukki had his shooting boots on. 

I think he needs to add a bit more work rate to his game but i'm a lot more confident than Iwas that perhaps we don;t need to be strengthening that number 10 slot and can focus on the other areas of the team that need it more. 

• Like 2

That's summed it up for me as well.

I wasn't instantly impressed. He seemed lightweight and lacking work-rate at first.

One thing that did stand out for me in his earlier games was his willingness to have a shot, and a decent one at that. I cannot recall if he actuallly scored before his injury, but he's made up for it since.

A bit like Hugill in some ways in that his strengths, when used well, are a useful asset to the team, to a greater or lesser extent.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's summed it up for me as well.

I wasn't instantly impressed. He seemed lightweight and lacking work-rate at first.

One thing that did stand out for me in his earlier games was his willingness to have a shot, and a decent one at that. I cannot recall if he actuallly scored before his injury, but he's made up for it since.

A bit like Hugill in some ways in that his strengths, when used well, are a useful asset to the team, to a greater or lesser extent.

I had strong beliefs in him when he arrived as he had a really good loan spell with Wigan last season. Scored our goal on his debut in the 3-1 defeat to Luton in the League Cup but as his injury came early on in our 2nd league of the season and was behind Vrancic when he first got back it took a him a while to get going again. His first league goal for us came in our victory against Forest back in March

Edited by HazzaJet

The deftness of some of his first-time touches is genuinely exceptional, and could be key to unlocking premier league defences. He also knows his way to goal and is prepared to shoot from distance, something that might also prove essential next season.. If the backroom staff can work on his ability to graft throughout 90 minutes then we will truly have a top player on our hands.

• Like 2

He and Stiepi are usually the two most likely to crank one up and have a pot from distance, Rupp's got that in his locker as well, but less dangerous. Dowell's probably the most dangerous first-time striker of a ball from outside the box in the team. His snap-shooting will be a useful weapon next year.

I have long been skeptical of him. He is obviously good, but as some have said he goes a bit missing, and thats not sustainable in the top flight. But if he stays healthy over the summer he should be able to hit top form next autumn. In some matches we saw intelligent teams man mark Buendia and partly Cantwell out of the game, against Cardiff for example. Its very valuable to have a lot of different goal threats in the starting XI as we ofc are all too reliant on the magic of Buendia and his throughballs to Pukki.

Depite his two goals last match I think the nicest thing he did was a flick on that turned into a perfect throughball for Pukki, after which he then tried to lob the keeper who did a great save to deny him. After his recent goals goals Dowell now has a scoring rate of 1 goal every 180 minutes this season. I think thats second best after Pukki. He has gotten just one assist though. But as his co-operation with the other in the front 4 improves so will probably his amount of assists.

I have recently been moaning about the need for a new #10 of a higher standard, but I no longer feel it is that important. Dowell can surely do a good job there against a lot of teams. My worry is that he might not be able to do it against better teams where we have less of the ball and teh opponents press more vigorously. But I would love to be proven wrong

I like him and think he'll be a useful player next season but I don't expect him to be a regular starter unless either Emi or Todd leave.

The club clearly had faith in his ability and the screw has turned a bit the past month or so but he still can't really dictate a game in the same way Emi or Todd regularly do, or perhaps as Marco did in his peak. I'd still like to see us go out and spend money on a decent no10, Dowell hasn't done enough for me to prove he is a solid option just yet but he is definitely improving with each game, that's for sure

God knows I love Emi, but it’s a relief to have someone (apart from Mario) who you feel can actually take a decent free kick. 

11 hours ago, AJ said:

The club clearly had faith in his ability and the screw has turned a bit the past month or so but he still can't really dictate a game in the same way Emi or Todd regularly do, or perhaps as Marco did in his peak. I'd still like to see us go out and spend money on a decent no10, Dowell hasn't done enough for me to prove he is a solid option just yet but he is definitely improving with each game, that's for sure

Not sure of your logic here. Dowell has not done enough but is improving with each match, but you want us to go out and spend money for a new #10, meaning Dowell would not get game time to improve? I believe he will be very good in the EPL next season.

Similar to everyone above - he's grown and improved after a decent run in the team and I'm sure a part of that has also been down to Farke's man-management. Even when he had returned from injury, he kept him out of the team for a while until he was ready.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the transfer market because KD has really stepped up to the challenge and shown his potential. Stiepermann also has attributes that can help us - especially his physicality and understanding with Pukki. 

But the question is would they be enough? For me, survival will depend on if we are over-reliant on Pukki to score us goals. The attacking midfielders need to pitch in with more goals, as well as getting a decent backup striker if he is off-form or injured. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a versatile player come in who can start as a #10 or cover one of the other front four positions.

6 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Not sure of your logic here. Dowell has not done enough but is improving with each match, but you want us to go out and spend money for a new #10, meaning Dowell would not get game time to improve? I believe he will be very good in the EPL next season.

Do you honestly believe he has shown enough to be a Premier League standout no10 week in week out this season? The easy answer is; no. I do appreciate he has improved a lot, but it doesn't mean he will keep us up next season. And if he gets injured, then what? We still need to go out and get a decent no10 in my eyes, although I'd like to see Dowell succeed, his progress has been too slow to fill me with complete confidence 

Dowell is an interesting one for me. He has basically replaced Vrancic, with whom he shares many similarities including both strengths and deficiencies. They are both technically gifted but I would argue Mario is a bit more refined while Kieran is still a little raw. They also both lack a little physically, but I think Dowell has a good chance to improve this side of his game where Vrancic's pace is only going in one direction.

The main thing is that Dowell is only 23 and, barring further injury, will continue to improve all areas of his game. It's hard to tell just how good he will get or whether he will successfully step up to the Premier League. I trust Farke and Webber to get the best out of him and, now that he has the first team place, he will certainly be given a chance to prove himself.

I do, however, hope that we sign someone who can provide competition and cover across the three attacking midfield positions.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Dowell is an interesting one for me. He has basically replaced Vrancic, with whom he shares many similarities including both strengths and deficiencies. They are both technically gifted but I would argue Mario is a bit more refined while Kieran is still a little raw. They also both lack a little physically, but I think Dowell has a good chance to improve this side of his game where Vrancic's pace is only going in one direction.

The main thing is that Dowell is only 23 and, barring further injury, will continue to improve all areas of his game. It's hard to tell just how good he will get or whether he will successfully step up to the Premier League. I trust Farke and Webber to get the best out of him and, now that he has the first team place, he will certainly be given a chance to prove himself.

I do, however, hope that we sign someone who can provide competition and cover across the three attacking midfield positions.

And that's very exciting. The lad has a wealth of experience at an early age, and as come from good stock in the form of the Everton academy. I think Dowell will excel next year. The key to him, Cantwell and Buendia being successful, is having two strong CDMs behind them. I'm not sure we have that currently, especially with Skipp going. I see Rupp and Mclean as decent back ups to the number 10 and CDM roles, but they are the players we need to upgrade on. And I think that's what Webber Farke will do. If fit and available, our front four of Cantwell, Dowel, Buendia and Pukki will start the first EPL game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

And that's very exciting. The lad has a wealth of experience at an early age, and as come from good stock in the form of the Everton academy. I think Dowell will excel next year. The key to him, Cantwell and Buendia being successful, is having two strong CDMs behind them. I'm not sure we have that currently, especially with Skipp going. I see Rupp and Mclean as decent back ups to the number 10 and CDM roles, but they are the players we need to upgrade on. And I think that's what Webber Farke will do. If fit and available, our front four of Cantwell, Dowel, Buendia and Pukki will start the first EPL game. 

McLean is another interesting one. I've never been his biggest fan because I thought that his defensive positioning and anticipation (basically the things that Skipp excels at) were lacking and, at times, he would cause us problems at the back. However, he has undoubtedly improved this season and has become an indispensable cog in the Farkeball machine. The way he receives the ball from defence and moves it on to the attacking players is an absolutely pivotal role which would be really hard to replace. Even if you find a player with better technical ability, it's the awareness and understanding that would be difficult to replicate.

We're entering a crucial stage of the project. We are not going to be able to afford to bring in players of the quality of Skipp, Buendia, Pukki, Cantwell and Aarons. The only reason we have/had them is because we've basically created them from the raw potential that they had by giving them the chance to play and develop. I believe that the only way we will continue to have players of that calibre is to continue with the same philosophy. That means we are unlikely to sign the finished article and will be looking at rough gems (like Emi - and what a diamond he's become) or budding youths.