cambridgeshire canary

Hartlepool set to become tory, having been Labour since 1974

How much deposit do you have to put down for local elections?

As the hyperbole subsides it seems that the projected national vote was 36-29 to the Tories and broadly in line with the average of the opinion polls. While this is clearly not a good night and there is little sign of a Labour recovery this result is 4% better for them than in 2017. Let that sink in Johnson did worse than Theresa May.

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

As the hyperbole subsides it seems that the projected national vote was 36-29 to the Tories and broadly in line with the average of the opinion polls. While this is clearly not a good night and there is little sign of a Labour recovery this result is 4% better for them than in 2017. Let that sink in Johnson did worse than Theresa May.

11 years into a Tory government the opposition should be miles clear by now. In council seats the Tories now have more than Labour and Lib Dem combined and are adding more.

The only analysis I can offer is that all the  incumbents are getting a national Covid bounce. Makes little sense otherwise.

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

BBC now predicting SNP will not have a majority. Of course Greens in Scotland support independence but seems to me that the case is less compelling, at least in the short term, without an SNP majority

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

BBC now predicting SNP will not have a majority. Of course Greens in Scotland support independence but seems to me that the case is less compelling, at least in the short term, without an SNP majority

I think the appetite for Independence is waning. But the Scottish voters do not want a bar of Boris. He may be bullish about a referendum but its clear he only has England. Whether he tries to bribe them is unlikely with so much Government spending during the pandemic.

The SNP is really only Labour supporters with a handful of strays who pretend they might be better off alone.

8 hours ago, BigFish said:

Sorry, I must have missed Thursday's General Election

15 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

The problem remains that "Woke" is not an "issue". It is a general term that was once simply defined as follows:

woke
ADJECTIVE
US
informal
  1. alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

Interestingly, the Sun newspaper published a quite reasonable account of its historical usage and the present day practice of some people using it as a pejorative term to bundle together a diverse slew of issues under one "convenient" banner https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10760207/woke-meaning-definition/.
    Sadly, the pejorative use of this term renders impossible the  discussion of distinct phenomena that require serious consideration in their own right. It is perfectly possible to think that there are real problems with institutional racism in this country, and also reject the restriction on free speech advocated by some "no-platforming" groups. In any sensible, grown-up debate it should be possible to discuss these issues separately, however, what we find is that they all get lumped under the label "woke" and serious debate gets cancelled by the very people who like to throw about "cancel culture" in the same way they throw about "woke". It is a great irony that those people describing the dear old National Trust as "woke" for including more historical information about the connections of their properties to the slave trade are actually guilty of trying to "cancel" the NT's attempt to provide more historical fact. 

So, instead of throwing about "woke" as if it genuinely has a distinct valuable meaning beyond pejorative slander, why not discuss each of the issues it lazily lumps together as separate concerns that deserve serious consideration. Then we might begin to see differences and connections between the various phenomena for what they are and make some actual progress in understanding.

I'm just imagining the response had I posted Sun and Mail articles in support of my claims.

Yet again Horsefly, I think you have a fair point about the Woke term. However terms such as "institutional racism" work in much the same way, encompassing many different concepts the meaning of which changes depending on the ideological bias of the person using the term. The main difference is that people who choose to use the Woke term as shorthand for various forms of identity politics authoritarianism don't call others racist bigots if they object to it.

On 08/05/2021 at 16:12, Mr.Carrow said:

Firstly, I'm pretty certain Mahmood meant to say 'Social Justice Warriors' rather than 'Social Media Warriors'...

Secondly, 'Woke' is a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice, hence, 'Social Justice Warriors'..

So obviously no, it isn't imaginary 👍