Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Topics For Discussion

I haven''t posted on here since that great day at Fulham last season but it has some to the point where I would like to make a couple of points.  All those that say Worthy is still here because of his past achievements has clearly not studied the facts, as his past achievements really aren''t all that good either.  He''s been here 5 years, over that time it would be interesting to see his exact managerial record my suspicions tell me the difference bewteen the amount of matches he''s won and lost is really not all that great.  This is based on:

We have not had a decent cup run in 5 years, going out of both the FA and League cups in the very early stages everytime, many times losing to lower league opposition.  The season he took over, we finished mid-lower end of the table (I can''t remember exactly).  The following season we made the play offs, basically due to a fantastic run in about the final 10 matches of the season.  Prior to this, we were pretty average at best and lost as many matches as we won (Worthy doesn''t seem to think the 1 point for a draw is worthwhile, again emphasised by this seasons record).  The next season we finished mid-table, again losing a lot of matches.  Then the great season, which actually started off really quite poorly.  We went out of the cup to Northampton and it took the inspirational signings of Hux and Crouch to get the ball rolling well over a month into the season - does this say more for the impact that signing 2 big name Prem players has on the rest of the team than Worthys managerial ability?!  Once the wins start, it''s easy to keep them ticking over, its down to that things called confidence, ask Steve Coppell.  It takes a far better manager to install that confidence in the first place.  We all know about what happened last season, it took 8 months of getting battered every week for Worthy to do anything about it and this season has been a disgrace. 

So if you take the last 10 matches of the play off season and the last 8 months of the championship season, I think this is the sum total of Worthy''s so called 5 years of achievements.  Not to mention the fact that he''s had far more money to spend than any other manager in our history and he still managed to get us relegated.  Effectively in 5 years he''s taken us nowhere and spent a great deal of cash in doing so.  If someone would like to do the maths and work out Worthys actual match record, I think it would make interesting reading but please feel free to correct me if I''m wrong.     

I would also like to make a point about Hux and to all those that say he didn''t performend to the best of his ability last season and has been useless this.  This drop in performance seems to tie in with him being classed as a winger (left-midfielder to Worthy).  Regardless of what any NCFC fans say, Hux is a forward, not a midfielder/winger.  He joined the club 10 years into his career, all of which were spent playing up front.  When Man City got promoted a few years back, Hux scored around 30 goals, I doubt very much this was achieved tracking back to cover his full back.  The season we went up, he was superb but he was up front and at worst, deployed as ''leftish'' of a 3 man strike force.  Why has he suddenly become a left midfielder in the last couple of seasons?  Admittedly, when played up front for the odd match now, he''s ineffective this is beacuse it''s not familiar to him.  You can''t play 20 matches at left midfield and then be expected to play superbly as a forward for one match, you become accustomed to playing in one position and it''s not that easy to adjust.  I suggest a 3 pronged attached of Hux, Earnie and A N Other would cause most teams in this league a bit of trouble and is a sensbile solution given the managers inability to sign any natural wingers.  Don''t leave him on the bench then bring him on out of position and moan when he has no impact, play him where he''s going to pose a threat.

Apologies for the long post! 

here are the records with Burleys Megson''s and Newells for reference

Nigel Worthington''s managerial career

TeamFromToGamesWonLostDrawn
Norwich 04-12-2000 Present  2541029458
Blackpool 08-07-1997 23-12-1999 134445634

NB: Only games with a date in the database counted here

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=1319

George Burley''s managerial career

Southampton 23-12-2005 Present  11362
Hearts 30-06-2005 21-10-2005 12912
Derby 31-03-2003 07-06-2005 107394325
Ipswich 28-12-1994 11-10-2002 40918512797
Colchester 01-06-1994 24-11-1994 20875

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=491

Mike Newell''s managerial career

Luton 23-06-2003 Present  142684133
Hartlepool 21-11-2002 30-05-2003 291379

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=1837

Gary Megson''s managerial career

Nottm Forest 10-01-2005 Present  57172218
West Brom 09-03-2000 26-10-2004 221947750
Stoke 14-07-1999 15-11-1999 22967
Stockport 01-07-1997 25-06-1999 102354027
Blackpool 05-07-1996 01-07-1997 52211615
Norwich 21-12-1995 31-07-1996 275139

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=482

Some reasonable points in there Clint, and a well-reasoned, well-thought out post.

I would like to pick up on a couple of points though:

The following season we made the play offs, basically due to a fantastic run in about the final 10 matches of the season.  Prior to this, we were pretty average at best and lost as many matches as we won (Worthy doesn''t seem to think the 1 point for a draw is worthwhile, again emphasised by this seasons record).  The next season we finished mid-table, again losing a lot of matches.

We may have lost a lot of matches, but I think it is unfair to say we were simply mid-table.  As  I recall, we finished 8th, and were not a million miles away from a play-off place again.

The season we went up, he was superb but he was up front and at worst, deployed as ''leftish'' of a 3 man strike force.

That season, he played as ''leftish'' of an attacking three the majority of that season, with Svenny and Leon up front.  That is effectively still the position he occupies, but due to a number of reasons mentioned elsewhere on the site has not been anything like as effective this season.  I would argue that he was still effective last season and was probably our most threatening player.

I agree that Worthy is probably not a great manager overall, but to suggest we have not really improved or moved on since his appointment is a flawed argument.  Lucky or not, it was still Worthy who took us to that play-off final, and Worthy who took us to the Div 1 title and in to the Premiership.  It is very possible he has simply taken us as far as he can and that he has gone stale - I think he has limited ability and knowledge tactically, but then that''s what you have coaches for, is it not?

Time for a change?  Probably.