Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Old Trafford protests

I'm really surprised at the lack of preparedness of the authorities.  I've known that this was going to take place for 3 days now (general chat down the pub amongst fellow football fans, including a Man U fan).  Whether you agree or not, the aim is for the fans to show owners like the Glazers that the fans decide when and where clubs play, and projects like the ESL need to involve them.   

• Like 1

Twitter trending feed is quite funny.  Generally UK responses are broadly "good on 'em".  All overseas responses are "what are you doing, get out, you're spoiling my Sunday!"  Says it all.  

• Like 2

Quite a few Norwich fans with them as well by the looks of it. 

• Haha 11

14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Twitter trending feed is quite funny.  Generally UK responses are broadly "good on 'em".  All overseas responses are "what are you doing, get out, you're spoiling my Sunday!"  Says it all.  

Plastic Glory hunters gonna glory hunt, reminds me of how support for the super league was super high outside of the UK

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, K Lo said:

Quite a few Norwich fans with them as well by the looks of it. 

😀 Nice one K Lo

Agree with why they are protesting, but that's no way to do it, to my mind. 

Especially whilst pandemic on and social distancing in place etc. 

Watching Gary Neville calling for mobilisation now and...one thing that has hit home so strongly these last two weeks in the ESL story is that interview between Delia & Michael with Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher before our home match with Watford.

They spoke strongly about a community club and running a club within its means.

It feels an honour that their approach, pilloried at the time in some quarters, is arguably ahead of its time. Norwich City could be a proper exemplar of football ownership/stewardship in the Premier League, certainly a leading light. 

• Like 4

My problem with this is that it's utterly pointless. Why would the Glazers care? They're probably laughing about it right now. You want to really hit them then stop buying shirts, stop watching them, stop giving them any money. To billionaires like the Glazers those fans are nothing more than sources of revenue, they couldn't care less what they think, take that source away and it might make a difference. Live protests like this will do literally nothing but give their owners the higher ground to bleat on about breaking social distancing rules.

Makes you wonder what would happen if there were crowds at matches. Can imagine quite a few getting called off. This has a way to go yet.

• Like 1

But can you really want other people's money and want the final say how it's spent.

People have been soooo naive...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

😀 Nice one K Lo

They're clearly aspiring to be run the way Norwich is, with owners that won't undermine the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Was a pretty decent shirt 😉

GettyImages-1253390.jpg?strip=all&w=678&

Hmm, second thoughts, they were probably Hitchin Town fans.

• Haha 1

I think United have possibly been the worst to respond, the players and manager condemned it but the owners haven't even released a statement about it. Can understand the fans, not sure vandalism and breaking into the ground were necessary though

Anyone else thinking it's go more to do with loosing to Liverpool and giving the title to the other side of the city? 

• Haha 1

Souness is right though...this is mainly born out of frustration of no longer being the dominant force in England (despite the Glazers giving manager's £800m to spend) , not solely because of the ESL.

There's a reason why we havent seen such protests 4 miles across the other side of Manchester

19 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Anyone else thinking it's go more to do with loosing to Liverpool and giving the title to the other side of the city? 

Said as much to a scouse mate about  4-30.

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Souness is right though...this is mainly born out of frustration of no longer being the dominant force in England (despite the Glazers giving manager's £800m to spend) , not solely because of the ESL.

There's a reason why we havent seen such protests 4 miles across the other side of Manchester

Don't think its that. We wouldn't like it if all our profits was going out to repay loans. 

In fact weren't there similar protests at our club in 1996? Against someone in our Hall of Fame?

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Watching Gary Neville calling for mobilisation now and...one thing that has hit home so strongly these last two weeks in the ESL story is that interview between Delia & Michael with Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher before our home match with Watford.

They spoke strongly about a community club and running a club within its means.

It feels an honour that their approach, pilloried at the time in some quarters, is arguably ahead of its time. Norwich City could be a proper exemplar of football ownership/stewardship in the Premier League, certainly a leading light. 

But the protests are about that clubs belong to fans. I'm not sure what that really means whether that be Smith & Jones or the Glazers. So are Man U fans, or others who support it, suggesting that the owners plough millions into a club and then let the fans decide how it is run and how the money is spent? That's just naive and won't happen. An external investor rightly has to have some control.

The concept of an ESL is correct but needs to be thought through and done properly with the backing of UEFA and FIFA, not the shambles we heard a couple of weeks back.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Don't think its that. We wouldn't like it if all our profits was going out to repay loans. 

In fact weren't there similar protests at our club in 1996? Against someone in our Hall of Fame?

Haven't they taken £2billion out of Man United.

Good on United fans today.

Souness, David Jones are so out of touch with football fans. You'd think there was deaths today the way they were going on.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

But the protests are about that clubs belong to fans. I'm not sure what that really means whether that be Smith & Jones or the Glazers. So are Man U fans, or others who support it, suggesting that the owners plough millions into a club and then let the fans decide how it is run and how the money is spent? That's just naive and won't happen. An external investor rightly has to have some control.

The concept of an ESL is correct but needs to be thought through and done properly with the backing of UEFA and FIFA, not the shambles we heard a couple of weeks back.

The Glazers have never put a penny of their own money into Manchester United - they have though, taken hundreds of millions of pounds out.

I've never liked Man Utd as a club, but their fans have every right to protest at what the Glazers have done to them. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The Glazers have never put a penny of their own money into Manchester United - they have though, taken hundreds of millions of pounds out.

I've never liked Man Utd as a club, but their fans have every right to protest at what the Glazers have done to them. 

They aren't interested in the real manchester united fans, they are happy with the ones in China, etc.

If you gave them the option of charging man United fans £100 a ticket and filling the stadium 80k or charging fans abroad £200 for a virtual ticket we know what they would choose.

All they want is their side to be a franchise, they don't care about 100 plus years of history of the game.

• Like 1