Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Celtics Ajer

Ajer looks like he could be a defensive mid too.

Great pass completion some creative ability and loves to tackle plus there is a lot of him to get around.

Is Ajer a reverse Godfrey?

It would certainly be cheaper than going after Berge. 

Berge won't join us - he will move on to bigger things., if he's fit (debatable). Ajer isn't widely rated, so that's more likely I feel, but he won't be first choice so why would he come here?

I think we're looking at a level or two below these players - much as I'd like to be proved wrong, we will be shopping in the under £10m market.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Berge won't join us - he will move on to bigger things., if he's fit (debatable). Ajer isn't widely rated, so that's more likely I feel, but he won't be first choice so why would he come here?

I think we're looking at a level or two below these players - much as I'd like to be proved wrong, we will be shopping in the under £10m market.

Why wouldn't he be first choice?

If we want Norwegian players then Patrick Berg (cm) and Marius Lode (CD) from Bodø Glimt are the player we can have for under 4mill pound. 

Bought play for the Norwegian National team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Olano said:

If we want Norwegian players then Patrick Berg (cm) and Marius Lode (CD) from Bodø Glimt are the player we can have for under 4mill pound. 

Bought play for the Norwegian National team. 

You their agent?

😂😂. If onely. That would be a easy payday. 

I dont know where they will go, ore if they will be good signing. 

Bodø/Glimt was great last season. Berg and Lode was outstanding. And onely Milan signing Jens Petter Hauge was bether

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's gone down BY 12million, it's now only a mere £35 million

Well, that Everton fan is presumably going by this report:

Sky Sport: The release clause of Sander Berge has been lowered from 40M to 12M because of the relegation of the club Sheffield United.

It may be wrong and I would assume if Berge is that good he wouldn't fancy another potential relegation fight with us anyway.

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Sky Sport: The release clause of Sander Berge has been lowered from 40M to 12M because of the relegation of the club Sheffield United.

It may be wrong and I would assume if Berge is that good he wouldn't fancy another potential relegation fight with us anyway.

Berge is a decent player and linked with top clubs, but the links are always by press! He’s been injured and will not be anywhere near £40 million, he’s going to be a decent premiership player but like so many others Murphy, Pritchard etc not good enough than mid premiership teams.

Would he sign for us, depends, if Farke & Weber extended their stay, promised to build on Buendia and others then of course we’d look pretty good to Berge, sell the club, but that’s not where we are, both Webber & Farke could well be gone, new coach and Director of Football might not be a good sell!

Anyhow it’s all supporter talk, our club hasn’t been linked with Berge and our budget might not stretch to 12 million fora player. We might need to be much more frugal in our purchase again.

3 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Ajer looks like he could be a defensive mid too.

Great pass completion some creative ability and loves to tackle plus there is a lot of him to get around.

Is Ajer a reverse Godfrey?

It would certainly be cheaper than going after Berge. 

I believe Ajer was a midfielder when he arrived at Celtic but was converted to defender shortly afterwards. 

He probably isn’t technically good enough for a Farke midfield and he suffers from not being particularly quick or agile. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Pretty much every other news source has it at £35 million. Not worth anywhere near that of course, personally don't rate him and wouldn't even want us paying 12million for him.

No way is Berge worth £40mil, fitness question marks aside, that fee is where you’re getting into maverick territory such as with our very own Emi B. I don’t think we’d even pay £12mil for him, not because we couldn’t afford it if we really wanted him, but because I reckon there’s more than a few Berge’s to be found out there for a fraction of the money and I think our excellent recruitment team know that too. Reminds me a bit of Bournemouth thinking they’re going to get £50mil for the bloke that loves an injury, Brooks - delusional!

17 hours ago, king canary said:

Why wouldn't he be first choice?

Because he isn't better than Hanley or Gibson - both of whom would excel in a Celtic team in which he isn't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Because he isn't better than Hanley or Gibson - both of whom would excel in a Celtic team in which he isn't.

That’s a matter of your opinion. Ajer is only 23 and full international, played European football and bags of potential. Really not sure why you have such a downer on a player who might be in our price range, young and would consider joining us!

Edited by Indy

20 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I haven't seen enough of Ajer to pass comment, but one of the three players is attracting interest from big clubs competing in European competition and if he moves this summer it would likely be for a fee that would eclipse our transfer record. I'd be surprised if that guy wasn't a regular starter in our team, should all three of them be in our squad next season.

29 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'd imagine that some of those things were said when Van Dijk moved from Celtic.

I watch a fair amount of the Scottish game being of that persuasion and I have to say he would get murdered absolutely murdered in the premier league 

Newcastle are tabling a bid for him apparently

6 hours ago, AJ said:

Newcastle are tabling a bid for him apparently

Their track record for spotting talent is hardly impeccable. 

*cough* Joelinton *cough*

Edited by Nuff Said

10 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd imagine that some of those things were said when Van Dijk moved from Celtic.

No, they weren't. He excelled in a Celtic team which dominated. This Celtic team hasn't been able to compete with a not particularly good Rangers team and their fans don't rate him very highly. I'm not quite sure why everyone seems so in favour of us getting this guy to be honest.

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

No, they weren't. He excelled in a Celtic team which dominated. This Celtic team hasn't been able to compete with a not particularly good Rangers team and their fans don't rate him very highly. I'm not quite sure why everyone seems so in favour of us getting this guy to be honest.

Rangers weren’t even in the Scottish prem when Van Dijk was there

17 hours ago, king canary said:

I think though Van Dijk benefited from being able to get a move to a Southampton sized club, I mean we were even in for him at one point which shows there was a big element of risk of if they thought he would come good. If that wasn’t the case a Liverpool or a Man City would have just got him there and then.

11 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Because he’s a decent 6ft 6 player only just 23 and played in Europe, 21 times for his national side, had an ordinary season this year, which means he’s in our price range and viable target! Who do you suggest?

4 hours ago, birchfest said:

I think though Van Dijk benefited from being able to get a move to a Southampton sized club, I mean we were even in for him at one point which shows there was a big element of risk of if they thought he would come good. If that wasn’t the case a Liverpool or a Man City would have just got him there and then.

Yep and in this case we can that Southampton

5 hours ago, Indy said:

Because he’s a decent 6ft 6 player only just 23 and played in Europe, 21 times for his national side, had an ordinary season this year, which means he’s in our price range and viable target! Who do you suggest?

This is a thread specifically about Ajer, rather than any other centre back targets. My point is simply that he is not currently an upgrade on either Hanley or Gibson. He may well get better over the next couple of seasons with experience, but we don't have the time or indeed the place available in our team for that to happen, because he wouldn't immediately be a starter. Andrew O has already proven he can step in; Famewo has had a decent season at the top of League One (which isn't that far below Scotland PL overall standard) and we still have Zimmermann. If we're going to buy another centre back for the kind of money being mentioned here it has to be someone who will either be competing for a starting spot or who is a major step up as a back up - given their injury record it is likely that the back up will play at least 10 -12 games but in my opinion he is neither of those things.

A clubs regular fans are usually quite an accurate barometer of a player - not when they scapegoat someone, but when you see comments and opinions which generally indicate that he isn't good enough for Celtic that isn't a great recommendation. And before you say that they said that about Pukki - they were right at the time about Pukki, who went away and tuned his game and has tuned it again since he joined us.

Clearly if Farke/Webber and the recruitment team go for Ajer I will support him but I'd genuinely rather stick with what we have.

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

This is a thread specifically about Ajer, rather than any other centre back targets. My point is simply that he is not currently an upgrade on either Hanley or Gibson. He may well get better over the next couple of seasons with experience, but we don't have the time or indeed the place available in our team for that to happen, because he wouldn't immediately be a starter. Andrew O has already proven he can step in; Famewo has had a decent season at the top of League One (which isn't that far below Scotland PL overall standard) and we still have Zimmermann. If we're going to buy another centre back for the kind of money being mentioned here it has to be someone who will either be competing for a starting spot or who is a major step up as a back up - given their injury record it is likely that the back up will play at least 10 -12 games but in my opinion he is neither of those things.

A clubs regular fans are usually quite an accurate barometer of a player - not when they scapegoat someone, but when you see comments and opinions which generally indicate that he isn't good enough for Celtic that isn't a great recommendation. And before you say that they said that about Pukki - they were right at the time about Pukki, who went away and tuned his game and has tuned it again since he joined us.

Clearly if Farke/Webber and the recruitment team go for Ajer I will support him but I'd genuinely rather stick with what we have.

And you’ve answered your own question, for starters he’s just 23 and is a talent, last season they raved about him and was linked with a few bigger clubs.

Your opinion is that he’s not a step up, but his potential to get better and to play CD or MD. As you pointed out Pukki!

I don’t think we’re in the picture he’ll end up at Newcastle.....😉

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

What Celtic fans are these then? I had a good read of the Celtic fans forum and the general consensus is that he was their best player last year, the only one to come out with any credit and several Celtic fans said the club should pay him what he wants and make him club captain to try and keep him.

23 is very young for a CB and he's been coached by Neil Lennon for the past 2 years and Lee Clarke at Killie before that (With a brief period working with Rodgers admittedly)  so I'm pretty confident in saying there will be a lot more Farke can extract from him, he may not come in to immediately be first choice though

3 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

What Celtic fans are these then? I had a good read of the Celtic fans forum and the general consensus is that he was their best player last year, the only one to come out with any credit and several Celtic fans said the club should pay him what he wants and make him club captain to try and keep him.

If you look at page one of this thread there are a few extracts on there so there are some for you. I'm not sure which of the dozen or so Celtic forums you read, but this a messageboard about opinions too and I'm sure some of their fans also disagree, but the overall impression I got from the ones I read and people I know who are fans themselves and games I've seen him play is that he isn't at the level we need to be an improvement of what we have.

Everyone is talking now about him maybe getting good enough to play for us in a couple of years. So we're really going to pay £13 - £15m for a player who is not a starter? Webber says only today they are going to buy players to improve the squad - there is no chance he would start ahead of Hanley or Gibson, so that's presumably the end of it.