Sign in to follow this  
YellaYellowYella

A lovely article from the Mail - interesting points to it

God knows, I loathe the Daily Mail - but that is a great article. Let’s hope some neutrals read it and get onboard, rather than repeat stupid comments like Bilic’s at the start of this season.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

God knows, I loathe the Daily Mail - but that is a great article. Let’s hope some neutrals read it and get onboard, rather than repeat stupid comments like Bilic’s at the start of this season.

Great article from one of the top two newspapers in U.K. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Oh yes, Bilic. What happened to him again?!

8 hours ago, daly said:

Great article from one of the top two newspapers in U.K. 

I'd like to think that this is satire but...

• Like 2

The contrast between JPMorganite "ESL" yacht clubs and Norwich City couldn't be starker. We come out looking like the future.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Upo said:

The contrast between JPMorganite "ESL" yacht clubs and Norwich City couldn't be starker. We come out looking like the future.

There are a lot of people outraged at the extreme greed shown by the "elites" but were also wanting us to join in in the unsustainable spending frenzy when we went up last time. I am glad we have gone down this sensible, long term route and hope we can be an example to other clubs. Yes, we didn't get the results we had hoped for but we are in good health and much fitter to face the new season.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I think the Webber/farke/Smith NCFC model might well be the one to follow fo a lot of clubs going forward.

The ESL clubs are not sustainable as they are and they either go off at some point and do their Greed and Avarice example or have to start living within their means.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Premier League has to take into account that the ESL could still happen at some point which would make many, if not nearly all of them, on the brink of bankruptcy.

I think the part of the story that doesn't get played is that it worked for us, but it isn't a guarantee. It's a very bold, long-term approach that many wouldn't have the balls to see through, and even then the chances of it working so thoroughly as it did for us are relatively slim.

Personally, growing up as a Norwich fan, we've always been seen as the brightly coloured, slightly strange club from Norfolk- and if this is what embracing that is, I'm all for it. Happy to be the exception. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

There are a lot of people outraged at the extreme greed shown by the "elites" but were also wanting us to join in in the unsustainable spending frenzy when we went up last time. I am glad we have gone down this sensible, long term route and hope we can be an example to other clubs. Yes, we didn't get the results we had hoped for but we are in good health and much fitter to face the new season.

I 100% agree with the sentiment, although with a qualifier that there is a wide range of smart spending between £10M and £100M for a man like Webber. He's one of the smartest people working in football. We'll get the squad worth the opportunity this time.

I suppose we were in a different position where luckily for us we had a player in there who we could sell for +£20m. Dont know where we wouldve been without that.

We had foundations already in place where we had some youngsters who looked like they were going to the top.

If you were a club and going to go with our model then you would need this in place to be successful in 1/2 years time instead of having to wait say 5 years.

58 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think the part of the story that doesn't get played is that it worked for us, but it isn't a guarantee. It's a very bold, long-term approach that many wouldn't have the balls to see through, and even then the chances of it working so thoroughly as it did for us are relatively slim.

Personally, growing up as a Norwich fan, we've always been seen as the brightly coloured, slightly strange club from Norfolk- and if this is what embracing that is, I'm all for it. Happy to be the exception. 

It's definitely not an off-the-shelf business model for football. Norwich City has strengths that are unique. Webber's genius is in adapting these strengths into a progressive organization; Fiscal sensibility with 21st century technology.

30 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I've read the article and now I feel dirty - I need to go take a shower.

A racist clock is right twice a day, I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Poor lefties - how you numpties must pray for the publication of the Corbyn Clarion. Until then the Guardian or Observer will have to do as ar$e wipes in your loos.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh yes, Bilic. What happened to him again?!

Indeed, a great topic for a "where are they now- one year later" article:

Bilic, Chinese gulag league.

Farke, English Premier League

29 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Poor lefties - how you numpties must pray for the publication of the Corbyn Clarion. Until then the Guardian or Observer will have to do as ar$e wipes in your loos.

Us lefties lead more rewarding lives because we're part of something bigger and happier. Sorry that you find it hard to care about other people or see the bigger picture.

Ironically, the Norwich City model is about as close to a left-wing model of running a football club as you will see. Progressive, sustainable, self-sufficient. A joy to behold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

What is going on at that paper?  They've got it in for BoJo big style (shame three years too late), now good analysis of what is happening at Norwich.  Has the paper been sold?

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Anyone with half a brain should be able to recognise what an utter shambles the DM is, regardless of political leanings (unless confirmation bias is your primary driver)

Edited by kirku

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

What is going on at that paper?  They've got it in for BoJo big style (shame three years too late), now good analysis of what is happening at Norwich.  Has the paper been sold?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Editor changed.

Aside from the politics of the Daily Mail - I actually wasn't massively impressed with the article. The writer mentions the vegetable patch a few times, but doesn't explain the thinking behind it in any more detail than it is for 'sustainability'. Mentions the ESL more than the EFL and the whole thing feels like a copy and paste job from the well researched FT piece a few months back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Petriix said:

Us lefties lead more rewarding lives because we're part of something bigger and happier. Sorry that you find it hard to care about other people or see the bigger picture.

Ironically, the Norwich City model is about as close to a left-wing model of running a football club as you will see. Progressive, sustainable, self-sufficient. A joy to behold.

Very left wing with the players earning about 100 times as much as the fans who must contribute more money through away membership etc.

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

Very left wing with the players earning about 100 times as much as the fans who must contribute more money through away membership etc.

We will have the lowest wage bill in the Premier League next year (perhaps unless Barnsley win the playoffs). And we'll be the only self-funding club.

I'm not personally against someone earning a high wage if they're at the pinnacle of their profession. I would like to see them (and the big TV companies) paying more tax though.

9 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We will have the lowest wage bill in the Premier League next year (perhaps unless Barnsley win the playoffs). And we'll be the only self-funding club.

I'm not personally against someone earning a high wage if they're at the pinnacle of their profession. I would like to see them (and the big TV companies) paying more tax though.

Accept that we have to pay the wages to try to be competitive. The away member levy on the fans however makes it more expensive for them whilst having little impact on our ability to pay footballers. It is like a charge imposed by someone with a Rolls Royce lifestyle aimed at increasing bus fares. In principle no different to right wing Tories.

Strictly speaking I think Holt writes for the Mail on Sunday, which is fractionally less rabid than the daily version. But the real point, which seems to have got missed, is that this was Webber's way of introducing his successor for when he leaves at the end of next season - 'Dave the gardener'...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Strictly speaking I think Holt writes for the Mail on Sunday, which is fractionally less rabid than the daily version. But the real point, which seems to have got missed, is that this was Webber's way of introducing his successor for when he leaves at the end of next season - 'Dave the gardener'...

Well lets hope he's better than 'Dave the Striker' we had a few years ago...

• Haha 1

Best thing to come out of the mailmale since Buendia senior produced the goods back in 1996

Edited by GenerationA47
Spelling