Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Thank you Quintillà.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wont be here next season, but what a professional he's been and always stepped up when needed. Round of applause please! 👏👏

Agreed, been quality for us. Hope he stays.....doubt he will though

Think he's a more than decent player, would be more than happy to sign him permanently 

Thought he was all over the place in the first half, obviously had a good talking to and was better second

5 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Thought he was all over the place in the first half, obviously had a good talking to and was better second

Looked dodgy in all of the games since he's been back. Touch of rustyness probably but clearly not a Premier League player.

Great way to sign off but not good enough defensively for the Champ, let alone the Prem

Michael Bailey had said it wasn't a definite No, but that it was unlikely that he'd be here next season, and that McCallum was likely to be on loan as well.

He's fulfilled his purpose for me. Stepped in when he needed to, but he clearly wasn't exactly what was wanted or they wouldn't have flown in for Giannoulis. I'll accept he did have some heavy-duty hip trouble which wouldn't have helped matters at all, but ask this question - who would you have preferred at left-back between Sorensen and Quintilla?

I'd be picking Sorensen every day of the week, and that's not even his position. But he's obviously liked in there and a player that gave it a good, honest go, so metaphorically I'd be happy to say "thanks for everything, Xavi, and good luck in your future endeavours". England and the Championship is not really his kind of game though.

Nobody can question his ability, especially from set pieces, but defensively he's just not premier League level and has struggled at this level. Clearly well liked in the group and the loan has worked to a point, he's done what has been asked of him when called upon. Wish him all the best!

Edited by AJ

16 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I like him - perhaps we should have him as a left midfielder ?

Yeah completely agree , typical Spanish defender good going forwards , not so good defensively.😊

13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's fulfilled his purpose for me. Stepped in when he needed to, but he clearly wasn't exactly what was wanted or they wouldn't have flown in for Giannoulis. I'll accept he did have some heavy-duty hip trouble which wouldn't have helped matters at all, but ask this question - who would you have preferred at left-back between Sorensen and Quintilla?

I'd be picking Sorensen every day of the week, and that's not even his position. But he's obviously liked in there and a player that gave it a good, honest go, so metaphorically I'd be happy to say "thanks for everything, Xavi, and good luck in your future endeavours". England and the Championship is not really his kind of game though.

I agree he’s not PL quality defensively but I disagree with your premise here. Sorensen was super solid defensively and he did a brilliant job filling in but I personally found it painful watching him going forward often on the left wing. A left sided player capable of beating his man he is not.

In games where the opposition didn’t have a stellar right winger and we were expected to dominate I’d rather have had Quintilla match fit and available personally.

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I agree he’s not PL quality defensively but I disagree with your premise here. Sorensen was super solid defensively and he did a brilliant job filling in but I personally found it painful watching him going forward often on the left wing. A left sided player capable of beating his man he is not.

In games where the opposition didn’t have a stellar right winger and we were expected to dominate I’d rather have had Quintilla match fit and available personally.

Well, that's fair enough and a matter of taste. I prefer my full-backs to be defensively solid first. If they've something in attack it's a bonus. That said, Sorensen did set one up against Bristol City with an accurate long pass out of defence and also racked up a goal against Forest, so he wasn't exactly clueless in attack, he just didn't go about it in the usual manner of going down the outside.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, that's fair enough and a matter of taste. I prefer my full-backs to be defensively solid first. If they've something in attack it's a bonus. That said, Sorensen did set one up against Bristol City with an accurate long pass out of defence and also racked up a goal against Forest, so he wasn't exactly clueless in attack, he just didn't go about it in the usual manner of going down the outside.

In terms of fullbacks being good defenders first and foremost, Farke expects them to do a job, but they have to provide the width for the system to work.   I like Xavi, I thought he did a job, although the opposition do target him, and in the first half he was caught out a few times.

I think Farke prefers Xavi to Sorensen, and when they make a decision about his future, I am certain they will look at how much a reserve left back who is better than Xavi will cost, how close Nizet or McCallum are to the first team squad, and what Xavi wants to do.

great free kick.

He’s done what’s been asked from him and seems to be very popular. Can’t have been easy to be asked to come into the team on a couple of occasions having not even been in the squad weeks. I wouldn’t be averse to signing him as he’s decent back up and does offer something going forward, as well as being our best set piece taker (he’d be a good wing back IMO). Best of luck to him if he doesn’t stay.

Not sure what other LB options we have after Dimi? I think we can sadly write Byram off as a viable option and they currently see Xavi as a better option than McCallam. For £3.5m or whatever it is, I don’t think it would be the worst bit of business.

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

In terms of fullbacks being good defenders first and foremost, Farke expects them to do a job, but they have to provide the width for the system to work.   I like Xavi, I thought he did a job, although the opposition do target him, and in the first half he was caught out a few times.

I think Farke prefers Xavi to Sorensen, and when they make a decision about his future, I am certain they will look at how much a reserve left back who is better than Xavi will cost, how close Nizet or McCallum are to the first team squad, and what Xavi wants to do.

great free kick.

Agreed for the most part, I'd say that width doesn't necessarily mean penetration. We still went on an excellent run of results with Sorensen in that position and he did cause some problems as an attacking outlet, but obviously never to anywhere near the same extent as Aarons, a natural full-back/wing-back, haring up and down the other side. Sorensen still caused problems with his ability to pick passes or just playing simpler balls to keep things moving.

Re. your second paragraph, I'd agree only in terms of natural position between Sorensen and Xavi, but totally agree with the comments re. Nizet and McCallum. I've said before I think McCallum will basically get the pre-season to show he's close to the standard required and he's at the stage where it could go all Remi Matthews or it could go all Todd Cantwell.

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Noones mentioned Heise. Still our player I believe

Can’t imagine he’ll be ours for much longer

If it is 2.5 million then I think it would be good business for a second choice left back. Defensively he has been average, but then again he’s been in and out of the squad and then had to face two of the best offensive teams in the league on his return. 

But for me the positives are; a low price tag and a player who will understand they aren’t first choice but could be called upon at any moment. He won’t need the weeks or months to get settle in Norwich or with the squad. He’s not going to cost an arm and a leg. I still thing that there is the tactical advantage of what he can offer, if we need high balls into the box and Hugill/a new striker is on the pitch then we could really benefit from him.