Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So how can we be champions today and lift the trophy?

5 points clear with 2 games left means that Watford have to win, and hope we don't for it to go to the last game.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

5 points clear with 2 games left means that Watford have to win, and hope we don't for it to go to the last game.

Yeah, going down to the last match would be pretty poor. Let's all hope it doesnt

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I guess we'll get it at Barnsley similar to Villa Park, but would be nice to finish the job today irrespective. Reading are such a nothing club. Inoffensive sure, but who actually supports Reading?

• Haha 1

Just now, FatCanary said:

I guess we'll get it at Barnsley similar to Villa Park, but would be nice to finish the job today irrespective. Reading are such a nothing club. Inoffensive sure, but who actually supports Reading?

I think this is the only time anyone has compared Oakwell to Villa Park

2 huge bites at the cherry and no excuses if we’re pipped to the title (which won’t happen) assuming Watford win both. Reading are poor at the moment and Barnsley will rest players for the play offs that follow. 3.1 Norwich win today and another song from Delia.

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Indeed, Watford have to try just in case but basically it's already yours.

Not that I'd complain if we did catch you!

8 minutes ago, SuperTM said:

Indeed, Watford have to try just in case but basically it's already yours.

Not that I'd complain if we did catch you!

You should sack your manager if you don’t catch us. 

• Like 1

Interesting read on Brentfords forums where some of them still think they're a better team than us and just got unlucky with draws.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You should sack your manager if you don’t catch us. 

It's not impossible!

We did last season with 2 games to go.

Really really happy we are up, given how badly we played half the season. Slightly regretful we didn't wake up earlier and given you more of a run for your money but you fully deserve the title for your consistency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

Lincoln Canary

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Interesting read on Brentfords forums where some of them still think they're a better team than us and just got unlucky with draws.

Ergo we have been really lucky with our wins?

Always a fair few one eyed opinions when you go to other forums. If you don't win half of your games (Brentford haven't won 22 out of their 44 games thus far) you are going to have to pray for something phenomenal to go up automatically.

As Jim Royle may say 'Unlucky? My a***'

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bunch of deluded idiots who will be eating humble pie again in just a few short weeks, and I look forward to it : ). They talk like Watford and us haven’t had our own issues to deal with this season, but of course, everything has been against poor old them this season, and of course we have these massive parachute payments that won us all these games ha ha. I think the gulf was pretty clear when Brentford came to Carrow Rd, they were chasing shadows for nearly the entirety of the game and they can think themselves very lucky it only finished 1-0 to us.

Been far more respect between the genuine 2 best teams in the division this season, which is quite unusual really, and that’s obviously ourselves and Watford. 

Brentford do have some good players - but generally speaking, they're not as good as ours. Only perhaps DaSilva would get in our team. Even Toney wouldn't get a start ahead of Pukki.

Bournemouth - I'd have Danjuma, but he probably wouldn't start ahead of Cantwell or Buendia.

Watford - Sarr maybe, if he was in the right headspace, but half the time he isn't so he'd struggle for a start too.

I'm really struggling to think of any other Championship player who would get a start in our current first XI, and this is what makes recruitment so difficult becuase all these players would cost £30m plus and none of them would be certain starters. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

There was a time when I can remember City being considered a nothing club by others. I would suggest you learn to have respect for other clubs you might regard as nothing but mean so much to their communities.

• Like 1

We currently have 93 points but Watford can still finish on 94 so we require 2 more points to win the title, but points Watford drop also contribute to it. As result of that all we need to be crowned champions today is victory against Reading, or for Watford to fail to beat Brentford. For Watford to still win it they also have to beat both Brentford and Swansea, and we have lose to either Reading or Barnsley - if we draw and Watford win today Watford would only be able to win it on goal difference.

It’s not a tough task - 5 points clear with 6 still available, so all we need to do is equal or better Watford’s result

Tbh, the maths of us winning the title is about as straightforward as you can get - win, it’s ours whatever, or if Watford fail to win, it’s ours.  Otherwise it goes to the final games.

Re Brentford, In fairness to them we have lost the same number of games (if with two of ours being since promotion), so being unable to finish sides off has been their Achilles heel...but surely the flip side is that we have been able to see these games out, suggesting we are that bit better.  Over a season, it can’t just be ‘luck’.

Brentford are a very good side, but do just seem to falter at the last -I think they’ve failed to be promoted via playoffs 9 or 10 times. I’d like to see either them or Barnsley up, so that’s a kiss of death for both!

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Brentford do have some good players - but generally speaking, they're not as good as ours. Only perhaps DaSilva would get in our team. Even Toney wouldn't get a start ahead of Pukki.

Bournemouth - I'd have Danjuma, but he probably wouldn't start ahead of Cantwell or Buendia.

Watford - Sarr maybe, if he was in the right headspace, but half the time he isn't so he'd struggle for a start too.

I'm really struggling to think of any other Championship player who would get a start in our current first XI, and this is what makes recruitment so difficult becuase all these players would cost £30m plus and none of them would be certain starters. Any ideas?

Most amusing part of Brentford fans talking about how wonderful there team is is that if they bottle promotion again and don't go up both Toney and DaSilva will be off and leaving Brentford soon as the transfer window opens..

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Most amusing part of Brentford fans talking about how wonderful there team is is that if they bottle promotion again and don't go up both Toney and DaSilva will be off and leaving Brentford soon as the transfer window opens..

And then they’ll receive more huge sums for their players, but that won’t count because it’s not ‘parachute payments’, and that of course is the only reason us and Watford are going straight back up.

Statistically, parachute payments have proven to make no difference in who gets promoted to the Premier League as most clubs don’t come back up at the first time of asking - in fact it’s largely the opposite. But we’ll ignore that minor detail to keep Bee’s fans happy ; )

3 hours ago, FatCanary said:

There was a poster who used to come on here who had (Plus Golden Coppel) in their username, he was a Norwich and Reading fan. I think he would post in threads as his two pseudonyms and have arguments with himself. It was all very strange. He hasn’t been on here in a long time though. 

1 hour ago, SuperTM said:

It's not impossible!

We did last season with 2 games to go.

Really really happy we are up, given how badly we played half the season. Slightly regretful we didn't wake up earlier and given you more of a run for your money but you fully deserve the title for your consistency.

A pleasant change to have a decent chat with another team's supporter on here.

You say you played badly for half the season. To be fair we weren't that great before Christmas but as you said the key was our consistency in managing to eke out single goal wins when perhaps we didn't always deserve them.

After Christmas was a different story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

There was a poster who used to come on here who had (Plus Golden Coppel) in their username, he was a Norwich and Reading fan. I think he would post in threads as his two pseudonyms and have arguments with himself. It was all very strange. He hasn’t been on here in a long time though. 

Yes ol' Lincoln Canary gave us a good laugh back in the day.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Hughes, Sierralta and maybe Chalobah on his day.

Sarr would have been better if we'd actually worked out how to use him properly...

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

A pleasant change to have a decent chat with another team's supporter on here.

You say you played badly for half the season. To be fair we weren't that great before Christmas but as you said the key was our consistency in managing to eke out single goal wins when perhaps we didn't always deserve them.

After Christmas was a different story.

It is possible!

True you've improved but your team selection, tactics and style of play have shown more continuity, and you had a bit of quality to win those games. Mentally you were on it quicker after relegation. I think it was a big shock to us and we had a lot of uncertainty in the squad before the window closed.

We had to pull out an incredible run of form from nowhere and watch while Brentford and Swansea binned far better positions; still can't believe we're up with 2 games to go.😀

Edited by SuperTM

20 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Lincoln Canary

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

There was a time when I can remember City being considered a nothing club by others. I would suggest you learn to have respect for other clubs you might regard as nothing but mean so much to their communities.

Why? They aren't important to me at all, in fact completely irrelevant. I just see no reason why I have to respect things I don't care about. I only have so much energy I can expend caring about football clubs I don't support. I hope Ipswich go under, too. I don't mind if other people consider Norwich a nothing club, how people feel about the club I support is as meaningless to me as what someone who isn't me has for breakfast.

Sorry, I just feel like this is vapid lecturing from you for no reason.