Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Wesley Hoolahan

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Wes made team of the season in League Two 

haven’t seen much of him to judge but what a fantastic achievement 

DF96CE43-8857-4909-B5F8-D9F64C51BC46.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Wes made team of the season in League Two 

Always curious about the fans and Wes. If he got his way he would have followed Lambert to Villa. Scores against them and refuses to celebrate . 
And yet heralded as a NCFC hero . 
Funny old game . 

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Always curious about the fans and Wes. If he got his way he would have followed Lambert to Villa. Scores against them and refuses to celebrate . 
Funny old game . 

This has always been my view too. Yes, a luxury player with some real talent, and good on him for carrying on with this career for this long and still performing, but I never felt he loved the club in the same way as say, Grant Holt. I recall Wes had once said something, describing Norwich as a hell-hole (along those lines), presumably when he wanted out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JB said:

This has always been my view too. Yes, a luxury player with some real talent, and good on him for carrying on with this career for this long and still performing, but I never felt he loved the club in the same way as say, Grant Holt. I recall Wes had once said something, describing Norwich as a hell-hole (along those lines), presumably when he wanted out. 

Yeah, it is a rather one sided love. Still, one of the best players we have had in over a decade so fair to say we can overlook it. Still a shame mind.

1 hour ago, JB said:

I recall Wes had once said something, describing Norwich as a hell-hole

He was told he wasn't getting his move and proceeded to storm out and used expletives to describe the club to the first reporter he came across. 

One paper went with the headline 'hoolahan shows his true colours' 

What a shame.

Found it. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foul-mouthed-hoolahan-shows-his-true-colours-klj67psvj9t

Edited by Chelm Canary

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Funny old game . 

2 hours ago, JB said:

In other words, he's a human and like all humans he can make mistakes.

If that's all you've got from his ten years at the club, then I think that speaks wonders about how good a servant and professional he was to the club.

Why is it such a surprise that an attacking player would want to escape from Chris Hughton's dreadful negative football? Hughton always reluctant to use Hoolahan, who after starting late professionally would just have wanted to play every week somewhere.

Never had a bad week at work where you've felt like just walking out and telling everybody to f*ck off? I have, not sure it would define my four years there. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, JB said:

but I never felt he loved the club in the same way as say, Grant Holt.

You must be having a laugh? 

Holt was far more mercenary, wanted that Wigan contract for the extra year. 

Were Hoolahan's tears in his last game for us when being subbed off, and then his tears during his goodbye speech, not enough evidence? F*cking hell - where do people get this tripe! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 7

Hoolahan's derogatory comments were about the club under Hughton's second season of management. After a year of featuring in the vast majority of games, playing very well and finishing 11th in the Premier League, Hoolahan was relegated to being largely a substitute in a team that was heading for relegation. Many fans at the time dropped their heads each week when he wasn't in the starting lineup. It was a one line response to a question asked "jokingly" according to reports and his response can be taken as such. 

People still grinding their axe over that need to get a life.

He is still based locally and the only reason he chose Cambridge was because of its proximity to Norfolk. When he hangs up his boots he'll become another one of the army of players who stay in Norfolk. He's a club legend and anyone who watched his last game or attended his testimonial game and still thinks he genuinely thought we're a ****house club for anything more than a fleeting, frustrated moment in his decade-long career is smocking crack. I suspect there were quite a few fans making similar comments about the club and around that time as well.

• Like 4

Wes spent 10 years at the club and was arguably our best player for many of them.

I can't say I blame Wes for wanting a move during Hughton's dire second year where he barely got a kick despite the team's poor performance - especially when the club that wanted him was managed by the man who had built a team around him before.

He said some things I'm sure he regrets, but he put it to bed and ended up giving his best performances (in my opinion) in the years following.

10 years is such a rarity in the modern game, I genuinely can't believe some are ignoring this for some comments to a journalist and a muted celebration.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Were Hoolahan's tears in his last game for us when being subbed off, and then his tears during his goodbye speech, not enough evidence? F*cking hell - where do people get this tripe! 

Absolutely, both are legends here in recent times and Wes deserves nothing but praise. Like any player, if you get dropped and aren't getting played despite knowing you could help the team do better how would you feel? Loved his last game for us, that goal with the wicked deflection and hitting both posts before bouncing in - felt like retribution for a well deserved send off

I spoke to Wes before Hughton's second game and it was clear from what he said Hughton didn't rate him. He clearly didn't think Wes would carry out his defensive duties.

He hadn't played Wes during the 5-0 loss at Fulham but still hadn't picked him at home to QPR.

And its up to supporters whether the like or dislike a player and clearly Wes was forgiven.

I remember his first few games for us and he was rubbished and accused of only having legs for standing on.

Football, and the people involved in the game is all about opinions and I for one completely respect people who are a huge fan of Wes, no problem. Some people like some players when others do not. Some people view players in different ways to others, and it's what makes it a melting pot of good conversation. For me personally, I'm not keen on a player slating my club and that's something I won't change my view on, regardless of the circumstances at the club at the time. I think he was a good player from a playing perspective of course, and as I said previously, it's always nice to see players perform at a good level of football into their later years. I'm not a Wes hater, but I would agree with the poster I initially replied to in terms of the fans' relationship with him. 

Edited by JB

37 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Holt also handed in a transfer request in 2012 because West Ham were offering him more money and McNally refused it. McNally budged, offered him an extra year with a big pay rise and all was forgotten (by most).

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Ooooh - I wouldn't play Wes there!!!! CDM!!! - but seriously,  well done Wessi 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Funny old game . 

Was nothing to do with the fans, or NCFC.

Was all because of Hughton and his poor management of Wes and the team in his second season. Holt found his way out after enduring the negativity around the management for a season - he’s (quite rightly) a NCFC legend, loved by all.

Wes is a true NCFC hero. Loved the club, the fans and everything he achieved with us. Made a mistake by not making it clear what he was referring to in his comments but his subsequent performances season after season and his tearful farewells says it all for his true feelings about the club.

28 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Was nothing to do with the fans, or NCFC.

Was all because of Hughton and his poor management of Wes and the team in his second season. Holt found his way out after enduring the negativity around the management for a season - he’s (quite rightly) a NCFC legend, loved by all.

Wes is a true NCFC hero. Loved the club, the fans and everything he achieved with us. Made a mistake by not making it clear what he was referring to in his comments but his subsequent performances season after season and his tearful farewells says it all for his true feelings about the club.

I have said same many, many times. One of the most talented players ever to wear the Yellow shirt. In his own way as good as the current fans God and POTS. Yes he could be infuriating at times when he lost possession but same charge can be levelled at the POTS. Not saying that Wes was 'better' but 'different' and gave us sublime skill. To still be pulling out high level performances at 38 is a testimony to his professionalism and love of the game. Imagine    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Funny old game . 

For the record I merely said I was “curious” . Nothing more and nothing less.

And I certainly don’t need to “get a life” .

An ironic anonymous comment given the other threads on here about the use of social media . 

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

I have said same many, many times. One of the most talented players ever to wear the Yellow shirt. In his own way as good as the current fans God and POTS. Yes he could be infuriating at times when he lost possession but same charge can be levelled at the POTS. Not saying that Wes was 'better' but 'different' and gave us sublime skill. To still be pulling out high level performances at 38 is a testimony to his professionalism and love of the game. Imagine    

We are so lucky to have had Emi, so that we are not still bemoaning the loss of Wes. Emi has been an upgrade on Wes - more goals and much better at tackling and closing down, but Wes deserves his hero status.

Hoolahan is, always was and always will be every inch an NCFC LEGEND

Edited by Yobocop

19 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

For the record I merely said I was “curious” . Nothing more and nothing less.

And I certainly don’t need to “get a life” .

An ironic anonymous comment given the other threads on here about the use of social media . 

Eh? I was the one who said to get a life and I'm not aware I've even posted in the social media thread. And the invitation to get a life was aimed at those still grinding their axe about an off the cuff comment over 7 years ago.

If you're only "curious" and not axe-grinding then it's not even aimed at you, is it?

And I'm not that fussed about anonymity, hence why a big clue as to my name (Danny) is in my username. If I wanted to be anonymous I'd probably pick part of a club legend's anatomy as my handle (probably steer clear of Dion Dublin on that front).

Edited by canarydan23

Wes is fantastic and like a fine wine, gets better with age. I was one of those who was critical of him at times, generally when he had those days where  he would run in ever decreasing circles and hold on to the ball too long, but overall, he was brilliant for us.  So he reacted badly at one point......well we are all allowed to let things get to us occasionally. Good to see him successful still and obviously enjoying his football.

On 30/04/2021 at 07:47, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Funny old game . 

Is that the defining moment for Wes for you then, or does the other 99% of his playing time here perhaps override this incident?

I hope you don't hold your family to the same ridiculous standard, otherwise you wouldn't have spoken to your parents since you fell out with them in 1987.

On 30/04/2021 at 07:47, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Funny old game . 

I haven’t seen a post generate so many outraged replies for a long time!

• Haha 1

On 30/04/2021 at 08:19, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah, it is a rather one sided love. Still, one of the best players we have had in over a decade so fair to say we can overlook it. Still a shame mind.

Its a 'shame' that it was only a 'one-sided love'?

Give the poor little guy a break! That's absolute nonsense.