Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Social media boycott views?

3 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

I also got the impression that it's a boycott against the bigger boys, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and perhaps Snapchat too. Since I personally have zilch to do with any of them, it doesn't affect me personally in any way. But the gesture can do no harm I feel. The two main areas of discrimination being targeted are racism & possibly to a lesser extent homophobia I would assume. And I think it's fair to say that the above companies could & should be doing a lot more to prevent their platforms being a vehicle for such abuse. Thumbs up from me.

On a separate note, without googling or using a reference book, does anyone know the origin of the verb "to boycott?" Little clue: there's an Irish element to the story and it's nothing to do with cricket.

The message from our club I saw specifically said Facebook Twitter and Instagram.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

No 

I've updated Ray's Funds every weekend for 14 seasons. Even through the pandemic when football wasn't even being played. I don't think our club, or anyone behind this idea would say that we should boycott things like Ray's Funds.

Jeez- Twist it around as per usual! 

ill try to make this simple - NO ONE has suggested boycotting Rays funds, or even this forum. Its a discussion about the boycott, the bigger picture. 

As i understand it, people can still do their predictions, before the boycott in place ? The updates from you (whilst good and make people feel a part of it ) can surely be missed / delayed for one week in support of a greater cause. 

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The message from our club I saw specifically said Facebook Twitter and Instagram.

I have linked the message from the club to the start of this thread. 

Obviously they havent mentioned things like the pink un, as they dont post on there. 

To show support its a SOCIAL MEDIA boycott, which according to a google search includes forums such as this. but that is subjective, and hence why I stated the thread. 

On a weekend when we will, hopefully, win the league, I’m certainly not going to be boycotting The Pink’un and similar message boards or NCFC Whatsapp groups.  The reality of social media in all its forms is that some inarticulate individuals resort to personal abuse because it’s the only way they feel able to express their feelings (I’ve been labelled Tory Scum and Gammon many many times) but this is another of those coercive “you’re either with us or against us” moments that football has allowed itself to be associated with.  The law already allows for people to be prosecuted for hate crimes against protected characteristics.  Football should focus on football.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I wish you'd boycott me Greavsy🙃 

IMG_20210428_203154.thumb.jpg.7590111dd118f8bbc3af691de6a1594f.jpg

Exactly, and web forums are part of social media - that was my point, and why I started the thread. To have a discussion. 

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I wish you'd boycott me Greavsy🙃 

Erm, you posted on a thread I started, which you are of course entitled to do. But don't moan when I reply! 

Thanks Naturalcynic.

The reason I asked the question was that nobody except me had said whether they would be boycotting the pink un.

Will you be boycotting the pink un @Greavsy?

20 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

On a separate note, without googling or using a reference book, does anyone know the origin of the verb "to boycott?" Little clue: there's an Irish element to the story and it's nothing to do with cricket.

Something to do with an Army officer, Captain Boycott, who was stationed in Ireland? Something along those lines I think but I can’t remember the exact details.

Thanks Naturalcynic.

The reason I asked the question was that nobody except me had said whether they would be boycotting the pink un.

Will you be boycotting the pink un @Greavsy?

I will have my usual input into Rays funds this weekend if that what you are worried about. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Something to do with an Army officer, Captain Boycott, who was stationed in Ireland? Something along those lines I think but I can’t remember the exact details.

Looks to me like you read the story somewhere but are struggling to dredge the details out from the deep memory cells! I'll give you a commendable 2 out of 5 but I want/need more information please! It probably requires a bit of knowledge about the historical relationship between Ireland and Britain. 

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So anyway, is anyone boycotting the pink un this weekend?

Ill leave you to it. You obviously want to steer this thread your way, as per, rather than a balanced discussion which is what the forum is for. 

I preferred it when you ignored me. And im sure others on the board preferred it without the tittle tattle you provoke!  

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

Yes , I think so . Also a big Norfolk connection . It’s from Charles Boycott , an English land agent in Ireland  , who the locals decided to have nothing to do with . Hence the word to “boycott “ . A hell of a lot more to the story than that , check it out folks .

I know this as I’ve done a fair bit of work on St.Mary’s Church , Burgh St.Peter ,  Norfolk where Charles Boycott and other Boycotts are buried . 
Also church has an amazing Ziggurat  tower , courtesy of an earlier member of the local Boycott family .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Thanks 1

I just asked a question and have constantly tried to steer back to that question. The rest was your own doing Greavsy

Personally, I think once again, its gestures. 

All I hear is talk from those involved that someone else should be doing something.

Why don't footballers go on marches then? People moan about protesters but at lea st they get of their jacksies and do something. And many of those who do aren't the ones being abused.

Until the talking stops and action is taken, it will just rumble on.

There is no way the intention of this is to boycott football forums like this one . It’s about sending a message to the massive corporations that run these platforms and until now have not policed them properly . 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I just asked a question and have constantly tried to steer back to that question. The rest was your own doing Greavsy

Of course. The same question that I asked when I started the thread. 

You turned it to you, and Rays funds. 

This was a good thread, until you turned up, and as per usual with your own agenda. It's clear for everyone to see. 

Edited by Greavsy

I can see no positives for a pink un boycott. Just negatives. Infact I don't think it has anything to do with the pink un.

I shall also be using Facebook as usual.

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

There is no way the intention of this is to boycott football forums like this one . It’s about sending a message to the massive corporations that run these platforms and until now have not policed them properly . 

Yeah, this.

If anything, I'd say one of the secondary or tertiary reasons for the boycott is to push people towards these type of forums as there is more control over them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Of course. The same question that I asked when I started the thread. 

You turned it to you, and Rays funds. 

This was a good thread, until you turned up, and as per usual with your own agenda. It's clear for everyone to see. 

I answered your question about why it was a no from me. That was all.

I answered your question about why it was a no from me. That was all.

If you say so. 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, this.

If anything, I'd say one of the secondary or tertiary reasons for the boycott is to push people towards these type of forums as there is more control over them.

I think this has been taken way out of context. A lot of people rely on social media. Even more so since the pandemic and it's restrictions. With fan groups and ordinary fans being asked to join in some lonely and vulnerable people will have a worse quality of life this weekend as a consequence. 

Surely this is a football club issue. 

I think this has been taken way out of context. A lot of people rely on social media. Even more so since the pandemic and it's restrictions. With fan groups and ordinary fans being asked to join in some lonely and vulnerable people will have a worse quality of life this weekend as a consequence. 

Surely this is a football club issue. 

I assume you've emailed the club / footballing authorities with your concerns? 

Just now, Greavsy said:

I assume you've emailed the club / footballing authorities with your concerns? 

No.

But then as I said in my post it's a football club issue. So why would I?

I think you're quite mad Greavsy.

Still it takes one to know one 😉

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Because you're opiniated, and they are our club. 

Thanks, I think youre a self centered  t w a t, but I don't expect you to agree. 

Like I said it takes one to know one😉 

Perhaps we could get pete to set up some email link so that all opinions on here went to our football club.

cc Norwich City FC 

Years ago it was Canary Mail so they did automatically.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Like I said it takes one to know one😉 

Perhaps we could get pete to set up some email link so that all opinions on here went to our football club.

cc Norwich City FC 

Years ago it was Canary Mail so they did automatically.

Oh you`re so clever! 

Yep, so you can hide behind everyone else, as per. 

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Absolutely bonkers😉

You do reply to  a lot of my posts, considering you'd prefer me to boycott you. 

16 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

You do reply to  a lot of my posts, considering you'd prefer me to boycott you. 

Only today. I ignored you for 18 months but you kept asking @Duncan Edwards if I had blocked you and then messaged another poster about me blocking you.

Raving bonkers.

I'm going for a lay down. I might be sometime....

Edited by nutty nigel
Messaged instead of rang. That poster rang me.