Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Social media boycott views?

I will be on here if we win the league . I’m not missing the opportunity to revel in the excitement particularly as I can’t hug all of the people around me in the Upper Barclay. 
Im not on Facebook , or Instagrunt and will happily avoid the noise on Tw4tter . 

1 hour ago, Nestea_Emi said:

I do think it’s best if the boycott is targeted towards the problematic platforms like Instagram/Facebook and Twitter. 

Boycotting this site seems unproductive to me and surely only serves the aforementioned sites? Wouldn’t they be hurt more if people turned to alternative platforms that do moderate abuse properly?

This,  this, oh this indeed!!

It’s not going to make a vast difference overnight but I truly admire the sentiment and I think it’s a driver with incremental change.

To try something different and stand united against, what is essentially, the big tech companies is fair game. Especially when those companies have dragged their heels with enforcement for so long.

It’s definitely time those companies started doing more, but policing their platforms against abuse of what is technically ‘edge cases’ will cost these companies more resources / time compared with leaving it ‘as is’.

@Greavsy - Stop being an absolute ****, **** head.

This is actually a very easy topic isn't it? Act in whatever way you feel is appropriate. For me, racism and prejudice exists in every corner of the internet. I will be joining in the social media silence which for me will include this forum because there are many prejudicial **** on here, as evidenced by two prejudicial posts on this very thread.

Monday I'll be back to celebrate the title win 👋

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Greavsy said:

From that article 

“Too often, this happens without any comeback. Donning the cloak of anonymity, people bully, harass and insult others.“

Since I stopped viewing the non football section, the above is the only blight on this side of the forum which occasionally rears its head so I’m at least pleased that the Pinkun have acknowledged this. Hopefully They follow through and deal with it better than they have done. Ironically Greavsy I think you would certainly benefit from from reflecting on that and taking that message on board.

For those wondering, we're turning off the automatic feeds from the PinkUn to our social media channels but it's business as usual for our sites and this messageboard.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 28/04/2021 at 23:15, Pockthorpe said:

I’m not letting this go unchallenged. Really poor form Greavsy .

I don’t care or know much about your disagreements .

What I do know is that Nutty Nigel puts in a huge amount of effort for Rays Funds , displaying no ego at all . 

Yep. I know Greavsy isn't a Nutty fan but it's a completely wrong character assassination of a bloke who does FAR more for charity than I suspect Greavsy does. I know for a fact Nutty does a lot more than I do, and will always respect him for that.

I fully understand why football clubs have taken this stance, it has to stop. The club have specifically asked us fans  to support them and most will but I understand that some fans will have mixed feelings and we have to respect everyone's decision.

Have a great weekend everyone and lets hope we are all celebrating at the weekend

Greavsy, either you are the only person to have nailed Nutty, or many of us have got him wrong for such a long time. I bet if you turned up at the Nelson and shared a flagon of ale with him, you'd be hugging each other come the end of the night. 

Surely it's now established that the social media blackout is a response to the Facebook, Twitter, Insta and YouTubes to try to make them be more active to stop abuse on their platforms.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Greavsy, either you are the only person to have nailed Nutty, or many of us have got him wrong for such a long time. I bet if you turned up at the Nelson and shared a flagon of ale with him, you'd be hugging each other come the end of the night. 

Well said. But as long as its only words on here then no damage done. And lets face it, even though Double N and Greavsy obviously have history and did hijack the thread, the OP is an emotive subject and one that creates as many problems as it solves.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Surely it's now established that the social media blackout is a response to the Facebook, Twitter, Insta and YouTubes and the like to try to make them be more active to stop abuse on their platforms.

Edited by nutty nigel
Quoted when meant to edit

28 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Nutty doesn’t drink. 

For the record, I have NEVER critisised RAYS FUNDS or the effort that goes into raising money on there, and have always respected Nutty and the others for their input to that. 

Thats all I have to say, other than thanks to those who have pm'd with their support, whose anonymity I will respect. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

For the record, I have NEVER critisised RAYS FUNDS or the effort that goes into raising money on there, and have always respected Nutty and the others for their input to that. 

Thats all I have to say, other than thanks to those who have pm'd with their support, whose anonymity I will respect. 

Uh huh. 

"You are nothing more that a self opinionated shoite stirrer, who hides his true persona behind the charity fund raising you do. I've seen through you from day one.  I never trust a fund raiser who bangs on about it all the time. I think is shows they are doing it for the wrong reasons, and more about them that the fund raising objective."

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Uh huh. 

"You are nothing more that a self opinionated shoite stirrer, who hides his true persona behind the charity fund raising you do. I've seen through you from day one.  I never trust a fund raiser who bangs on about it all the time. I think is shows they are doing it for the wrong reasons, and more about them that the fund raising objective."

Yep, that how I see him as a person, and we all have different views, and obviously some on here disagree with me, which they are entitled too of course, however I made my comments from my point of view. However there is no critisim of the fund raising and never has been. 

It commendable that you've supported your father Dunc, you always will and I again i respect that too.

I think we have all had our say on how we see the boycott, which parts we will support etc, which was the intention of this thread, not will the funds be running this weekend, which I'm pleased they are. 

Anyways I've had enough, and won't give the satisfaction or opportunity of twisting my words again. 

On 28/04/2021 at 23:28, PurpleCanary said:

The boycott is a reaction to discriminatory abuse. This message-board has and does still contain a fair amount of abuse, and some of it certainly discriminatory, so I don’t think it matters whether strictly speaking it qualifies as part of the social media or not.

An obvious solution for those who want to post over the weekend is to limit themselves to the PUPs thread and those dealing purely with footballing issues, such as the match against Reading, and avoid those threads that touch on controversial questions. Just for those few days, and then let all their accumulated bile pour out next week...

Just to add, it is no coincidence that the question of mental health is on this message-board at the moment, and this applies to fans as well as players. So I don't think it is a stretch to believe that abuse here can be, either accidentally or even deliberately, undermine the victim's mental health. One could even wonder about the mentality of those hurling the abuse.

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Yep, that how I see him as a person, and we all have different views, and obviously some on here disagree with me, which they are entitled too of course, however I made my comments from my point of view. However there is no critisim of the fund raising and never has been. 

It commendable that you've supported your father Dunc, you always will and I again i respect that too.

I think we have all had our say on how we see the boycott, which parts we will support etc, which was the intention of this thread, not will the funds be running this weekend, which I'm pleased they are. 

Anyways I've had enough, and won't give the satisfaction or opportunity of twisting my words again. 

Twisting your words?

It's a direct quote. 

You do see that to say "You are nothing more that a self opinionated shoite stirrer, who hides his true persona behind the charity fund raising you do. I've seen through you from day one.  I never trust a fund raiser who bangs on about it all the time. I think is shows they are doing it for the wrong reasons, and more about them that the fund raising objective." and then " and have always respected Nutty and the others for their input to that." are at complete odds? 

Disappointing that rather than offer an apology and make a retraction, you choose to double-down on the abuse you dished out despite numerous people pointing out to you how wrong you are. 

No doubt those people offering you support will continue to do so, but isn't it interesting how none of them will do so publicly? 

Enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend Greavsy. 

A sincere genuine apology (where applicable) is worth so much more than a forced one Duncan. 

Its obvious as a person I don't like your father, and you have said that my prerogative and I don't hide that.

However I respect his, and others fund raising efforts and have never been critical of Rays funds. 

Is that simple enough? 

Just now, Greavsy said:

A sincere genuine apology (where applicable) is worth so much more than a forced one Duncan. 

Its obvious as a person I don't like your father, and you have said that my prerogative and I don't hide that.

However I respect his, and others fund raising efforts and have never been critical of Rays funds. 

Is that simple enough? 

Perfectly simple Greavsy. 

I'm still curious how you respect his fundraising efforts yet said "You are nothing more that a self opinionated shoite stirrer, who hides his true persona behind the charity fund raising you do. I've seen through you from day one.  I never trust a fund raiser who bangs on about it all the time. I think is shows they are doing it for the wrong reasons, and more about them that the fund raising objective."

You can see why that s confusing, can't you? You appreciate that there does seem to be a contradiction? 

Anyway, given the subject matter of the thread, at least we've established that throwing around unsubstantiated accusations, personal insults and abuse on social media is fine so long as you don't like the person it's being aimed at. 

Again, have a great weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Perfectly simple Greavsy. 

I'm still curious how you respect his fundraising efforts yet said "You are nothing more that a self opinionated shoite stirrer, who hides his true persona behind the charity fund raising you do. I've seen through you from day one.  I never trust a fund raiser who bangs on about it all the time. I think is shows they are doing it for the wrong reasons, and more about them that the fund raising objective."

You can see why that s confusing, can't you? You appreciate that there does seem to be a contradiction? 

Anyway, given the subject matter of the thread, at least we've established that throwing around unsubstantiated accusations, personal insults and abuse on social media is fine so long as you don't like the person it's being aimed at. 

Again, have a great weekend. 

And yet you were fine when your mate Morty was hurling insults at everyone on here. 

So yep there are so many contradictions. 

Anyway, I've said my piece, and you yours. Hope you, and everyone else has a good weekend too, and it's not too long without the social media. 

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

And yet you were fine when your mate Morty was hurling insults at everyone on here. 

Anyway, I've said my piece, and you yours. Hope you, and everyone else has a good weekend too, and it's not too long without the social media. 

Morty was foul on here but did have his supporters, good point made Greavsy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Deary me. Whataboutery in the extreme. You do realise that I'm not Morty? You do realise that I'm not responsible for what Morty posted?

You do realise that you ARE you? That you're responsible for what you post? That you ARE responsible for the abuse that you threw? That you claim not to like somebody that you've never met yet find it acceptable to slur his character behind your little avatar of anonymity? 

Why is it ok Greavsy? Why is it ok for you to anonymously slag him off and call into question his motivation for doing something that only provides good things? Because you know a little bit about him, you deliberately chose something you know he holds dearly and chose THAT as your point of attack. You can see how that looks can't you? 

At least we've established that it's ok to abuse people on line if you don't like the person you're abusing. And because of Morty. 

Enjoy what will hopefully be a title winning weekend. 

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Deary me. Whataboutery in the extreme. You do realise that I'm not Morty? You do realise that I'm not responsible for what Morty posted?

You do realise that you ARE you? That you're responsible for what you post? That you ARE responsible for the abuse that you threw? That you claim not to like somebody that you've never met yet find it acceptable to slur his character behind your little avatar of anonymity? 

Why is it ok Greavsy? Why is it ok for you to anonymously slag him off and call into question his motivation for doing something that only provides good things? Because you know a little bit about him, you deliberately chose something you know he holds dearly and chose THAT as your point of attack. You can see how that looks can't you? 

At least we've established that it's ok to abuse people on line if you don't like the person you're abusing. And because of Morty. 

Enjoy what will hopefully be a title winning weekend. 

And yet you've never met me either! 

So posters who have never met someone can defend someone else on a forum, but if another poster makes negative comments about same person that's not allowed. I think I get that part now. 

However as I've said before the contradictions are numerous, but I guess that's one of the "features" of a forum. 

Heres one for you, obviously your dad doesn't like me, and he's entitled to that of course, although we have never met, but why after ignoring for 18months did he suddenly start personally responding to my posts? It was never going to end well, was it? Maybe he was after a reaction?  And then he's conspicuous by his absense when it predictably goes belly up and he didn't like what response he got.

Of course your not responsible for what anyone else posts, however if you take the moral high ground, as you are trying here, to defend people who you feel have been "attacked" on here, you have to be consistent, it doesn't matter if the perpetrator is known to you, a mate or othet wise, surely? That was the point that yet again you conveniently missed. 

Greavsy. Go back and read your opening post and your own first 3 replies to this thread. You were clearly referencing people posting on this site in all of them. Nutty Nigel then echos the very question you were asking and it is you who takes offence to it. 

I still think it’s a worthwhile discussion but if I’m being honest I’m yet to hear a convincing argument about why anyone should be avoiding this site. It’s like disapproving of how Uber treats its drivers and avoiding all taxi companies for the weekend. Why? 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

And yet you've never met me either! 

So posters who have never met someone can defend someone else on a forum, but if another poster makes negative comments about same person that's not allowed. I think I get that part now. 

However as I've said before the contradictions are numerous, but I guess that's one of the "features" of a forum. 

Heres one for you, obviously your dad doesn't like me, and he's entitled to that of course, although we have never met, but why after ignoring for 18months did he suddenly start personally responding to my posts? It was never going to end well, was it? Maybe he was after a reaction?  And then he's conspicuous by his absense when it predictably goes belly up and he didn't like what response he got.

Of course your not responsible for what anyone else posts, however if you take the moral high ground, as you are trying here, to defend people who you feel have been "attacked" on here, you have to be consistent, it doesn't matter if the perpetrator is known to you, a mate or othet wise, surely? That was the point that yet again you conveniently missed. 

Moral high ground?

You've publicly attacked my Father's character on this forum. I'm still waiting for you to offer some substance, justification for your comments or to apologise. It's a thread about abuse and you threw some. That's what this is about no matter how much you try and deflect from taking responsibility with the "Quick!! Look over there!!" tactics. On a thread discussing a social media boycott due to people receiving anonymous abuse, you've chosen to use social media to dish out anonymous abuse. That's it. 

As I've often told you before, if you want my Father to answer questions, ask him. I'm not sure he's "conspicuous by his absence" either, I'd completely understand if he didn't wish to interact any further on a thread where somebody hiding behind their anonymity has abused him and his character. 

Your assertion that it was "never going to end well" interests me too. I guess it comes down to the ability to maintain some sort of level of decorum and not resorting to insulting people? 

Anyway, I've no real wish to discuss Morty, he was responsible for what he posted and got banned. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Agreed , that’s my take on it . Although I don’t like the idea that there is more than one YouTube (s) 😬

Edit : I appear to have lost Nuttys quote - rendering my gag worse than it was originally. Sorry ! No wonder I don’t go in Instagrunt or Facebook. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

12 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

On a thread discussing a social media boycott due to people receiving anonymous abuse, you've chosen to use social media to dish out anonymous abuse. That's it. 

When I first read the abusive comments I thought Greavsy was being deliberately ironic...