Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Crystal Palace

Quite an interesting situation at Palace to keep an eye on.

Firstly, Roy Hodgson is out of contract in the summer and both sides are undecided whether or not to renew. 

Additionally, they also have a load of players who are out of contract, plus Batshuayi's loan will end. 

This could go one of two ways, for me. Apparently some are seeing it as a huge opportunity. They have a chance to clear a lot of expensive, ageing deadwood (ahem, Benteke) off their payroll at the same time a whole host of talent is available on the cheap from Europe due to COVID. It gives them the chance to have a go at establishing themselves as a top 10 club.

On the flip side, we have seen numerous sides struggle, like Stoke and Bolton, when they have tried to change their style of play whilst in the PL. This may benefit us next season, if there are only two relegation places to fight for.

As a side note, the players are Benteke, Sakho, Cahill, Van Aanholt, Townsend, Clyne, McCarthy, McArthur, Ward, Hennessy, Dann, Kelly, Wickham, Henderson, Schlupp.... any that we'd realistically be interested in?

I've sat here for a while trying to make a convincing argument for signing any of them. Got nothing really. Van Aanholt maybe but he'd be on big money and wouldn't be an understudy to Giannoulis I'm sure.

• Like 1

I'd take a few of those to be honest. None of them are outstanding nowadays but they're exactly what we need. A solid right back - Joel Ward, an experienced PL level CM - James McCarthy, experienced strong CB who can pass the ball - Sakho and direct winger with pace - Townsend

They're all likely on astronomical wages which won't be helped by their free agent status and they'll be competition so i doubt we'll go for any of them when you consider they're all 30 ish but I would happily take any of those 4

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd take a few of those to be honest. None of them are outstanding nowadays but they're exactly what we need. A solid right back - Joel Ward, an experienced PL level CM - James McCarthy, experienced strong CB who can pass the ball - Sakho and direct winger with pace - Townsend

They're all likely on astronomical wages which won't be helped by their free agent status and they'll be competition so i doubt we'll go for any of them when you consider they're all 30 ish but I would happily take any of those 4

I don't hate this but I would question Sakho being the type of character we'd bring in. Not sure Ward has the legs for what we ask of our full backs. Townsend, McCarthy yes but as you say astronomical wages.

Haven't they got the oldest average age team in the Prem? Sounds great for experience, but what about succession plans? For those of us (just me?) who think Zaha is young, I was surprised to see he is 28

38 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Haven't they got the oldest average age team in the Prem? Sounds great for experience, but what about succession plans? For those of us (just me?) who think Zaha is young, I was surprised to see he is 28

Yeah, a lot of those players will be going to Championship clubs I reckon. One or two to Celtic or Rangers for good measure.

I know, crazy. Can't believe Nathaniel Clyne is 30, i remember when he was meant to be the next big thing.

Is nice to see Jesse Lingard proving that ageing former prospects can come good, though. Or he was until recently, anyway, don't know if he still is or if he's injured now.

Edited by FatCanary

Half of those players would do a decent job for a lower Premier League team, but they don't fit the profile we're looking for in terms of age and salary, unless we're prepared to make a Krul-style exception for a free agent with plenty of Premier League experience, such as McCarthy to provide experience in the Skipp/Tettey role.

Palace are an interesting case, however. I can't see Hodgson staying as Palace need a long term rebuild with so many players out of contract, and Hodgson turns 74 in the summer. They probably need a younger coach who bring in some youngsters and develop them, as it would cost a bomb to replace half of the first team squad at the same time.

I fancy Palace to struggle in a season of transition next year, personally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Half of those players would do a decent job for a lower Premier League team, but they don't fit the profile we're looking for in terms of age and salary, unless we're prepared to make a Krul-style exception for a free agent with plenty of Premier League experience, such as McCarthy to provide experience in the Skipp/Tettey role.

Palace are an interesting case, however. I can't see Hodgson staying as Palace need a long term rebuild with so many players out of contract, and Hodgson turns 74 in the summer. They probably need a younger coach who bring in some youngsters and develop them, as it would cost a bomb to replace half of the first team squad at the same time.

I fancy Palace to struggle in a season of transition next year, personally.

This is a good take I think. A decent outside bet for relegation.

I'd definitely take Clyne if Aarons goes. Obviously Townsend too but would be on too much money. 

I'd take Connor Wickham like a shot.

Sorry, I meant to say I'd take Connor Wickham and have him shot.

• Haha 6

They want a new footballing style apparently.

Palace are a team that irk me, we never seem to beat them, and they’ve resided in the Prem for ages now making me extra jealous over the years given I’d say we’re a similar size club. 

5 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

As a side note, the players are Benteke, Sakho, Cahill, Van Aanholt, Townsend, Clyne, McCarthy, McArthur, Ward, Hennessy, Dann, Kelly, Wickham, Henderson, Schlupp.... any that we'd realistically be interested in?

Good grief, that's a list and a half. Did I read somewhere that Zaha was finally promised a move?

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Good grief, that's a list and a half. Did I read somewhere that Zaha was finally promised a move?

I feel like that's been the case for the last six seasons!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

They want a new footballing style apparently.

Palace are a team that irk me, we never seem to beat them, and they’ve resided in the Prem for ages now making me extra jealous over the years given I’d say we’re a similar size club. 

Never seem to beat them... God so true - I’ve been to that away fixture every year it’s been on for the last two decades and the last time I saw a winner (not including pre-season friendly under Gunn) the scorer was Sean Carey !

Some people oppose signing players out of contract saying that they’re out of contract for a “reason” (not wanted). I seem to recall one of our free agents actually rejected a new contract (think it was Pukki). I don’t oppose to signing them as there’s no transfer fee. These players may be ideal though as they probably have some decent PL experience, it’s just I would be careful with their age and injury records. Whether they would want to sign for a relegation threatened team is another matter, and the main problem is that they would probably want high wages. Don’t know anything about the Palace squad so don’t know who would be worth looking at though. If any of them have a decent history, not too injury prone, and not want too high wages they might be worth looking at.

Was surprised to learn the other day they have the 6th highest wage bill in the Prem, but when you look at that list it is easy to see why!!

On 27/04/2021 at 15:15, Yellow and Green said:

As a side note, the players are Benteke(30), Sakho(31), Cahill(35), Van Aanholt(30), Townsend(30 in July), Clyne(30), McCarthy(30), McArthur(33), Ward(31), Hennessy(34), Dann(34), Kelly(30), Wickham(28), Henderson(32), Schlupp(28).... any that we'd realistically be interested in?

In short - I doubt it, no.

McCarthy and Schlupp may fit the bill for areas that we could use strengthening, but are either really an upgrade as such. If Skipp doesn't return McCarthy might be a good option, but would we be looking to give him a contract he'd want. Might only be a couple of seasons with a relegation clause. His experience would be valuable and he is certainly capable of getting stuck in.

Schlupp can play left back or left wing and meets the homegrown criteria. Jury remains out on whether we need another LB or LM at this point. Is he better than Giannoulis>McCallum or Cantwell>Hernandez>Placheta? 

Hennessy isn't a bad keeper, realistically if Nyland doesn't want to hang around, he is proven, but will he want to bench warm when he could go somewhere and be first choice?

In other years we may have gone for Sakho, but I suspect age and wages is against him and he'll go somewhere he is going to get good money. Again, would we want to be handing out more than a 2year contract?

Short end of it is none of this players are really going to offer us a solution to a problem for more than a season or two if we're lucky. At which point you have put down some decent wages for players that if you are lucky, contribute to keeping us up. I just can't see it.

Bar Wickham(who has never established himself at Palace) and Schlupp, they are all 30+. It says a lot to me that Hodgson's future with Palace hangs in the balance from both parties. Looking at that list of players going - that's 15 of their squad from this season. Then you can add Mateta and Batshuayi who are on loan and will return to their parent clubs to take that up to 17.

It literally leaves them with:
Butland, Milivojevic, Tomkins(who I think is also out of contract), Kouyate, Jordan Ayew, Zaha(who wants to leave), Eze, Guaita(who also seems to be out of contract) and Riedewald and a number of youngsters who are either out on loan currently or 21 and under.

I can't see all of those players going, I imagine some may well stay. Otherwise I can't see how Palace will be able to afford a rebuilding job that size. You are looking at a brand new squad. They'd have to sell Zaha to fund it and even then you are stretching it thinly. 

On 28/04/2021 at 09:07, kick it off said:

Was surprised to learn the other day they have the 6th highest wage bill in the Prem, but when you look at that list it is easy to see why!!

I'd be amazed if that's actually true. I can't see Palace having a bigger wage bill than any of the big six or Everton, probably Leicester and West Ham too.

They are mostly way too old and on too much money for us to have any interest.

I don't like to speak disrespectfully of any club (except Ipswich) but I genuinely think that if Palace went down no one outside of that club would bat an eyelid. They have a 'functional' style, play at the worst ground in the league, and the Premier League is plenty London-centric enough without them. Even their kit is non-descript...I much prefer when the PL places are distributed around the country, much prefer to see a Forest, Bristol, Swansea etc in the Prem and spread the teams around the country. 

On 27/04/2021 at 21:49, Deptford Yellow said:

Never seem to beat them... God so true - I’ve been to that away fixture every year it’s been on for the last two decades and the last time I saw a winner (not including pre-season friendly under Gunn) the scorer was Sean Carey !

I feel your pain Depford (from a next door Greenician), the last time I saw us win there, Ashley Ward scored the winner! No matter the month, its always awful weather too. #windymiller

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be amazed if that's actually true. I can't see Palace having a bigger wage bill than any of the big six or Everton, probably Leicester and West Ham too.

I misread - It's 7th biggest but bigger than Everton and Leicester (albeit very marginally more than Everton)

At least according to Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

33 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

According to this they were 8th highest in 2017-18 - so not beyond possibility that they are sixth now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

The figures below are from the Price of Football on April 10. Average Palace wage about £60,000 a week - I can't imagine that we would want to look too long at any experienced Palace player

Edited by Badger
Added extra information

35 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I misread - It's 7th biggest but bigger than Everton and Leicester (albeit very marginally more than Everton)

How do the payroll guys fit all those notes into the little brown wage packets at Man Utd? circa £3.5M per week! If it wasn't so obscene (They are not the only ones of course), it'd be laughable.

51 minutes ago, kick it off said:

50 minutes ago, Badger said:

According to this they were 8th highest in 2017-18 - so not beyond possibility that they are sixth now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

The figures below are from the Price of Football on April 10. Average Palace wage about £60,000 a week - I can't imagine that we would want to look too long at any experienced Palace player

Fair enough, even seventh or eighth surprises me a little as I'd have pitched them around tenth. 

But then again, some reports said Max Meyer was on £170k a week so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I can them going for a Brighton style management appoint of a young coach who plays exciting football. One of either cooper of Swansea or Frank of Brentford would fit the bill? Or would you consider them failures?

Either which way, they will have to spend some big money!

10 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I can them going for a Brighton style management appoint of a young coach who plays exciting football. One of either cooper of Swansea or Frank of Brentford would fit the bill? Or would you consider them failures?

Either which way, they will have to spend some big money!

I bet, knowing our luck, Palace will get some groovy new manager in with a similar style to us where it works out instantly, only for us to get relegated again as Sod's Law it's Palace who, of late, always seem to dodge the bullet. Grrr, God don't Palace grind my gears!