Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Championship POTS shortlist announced

38 minutes ago, GJP said:

25 goals, the work rate (attacking and defending) and the sheer brilliance of his movement... I can't see how people can put more than Buendia ahead of Pukki.

It's Buendia and Pukki who sh*t the opposition up.

The opposition don't look at us and hope Hanley or Skipp aren't playing, they're hoping they haven't got to face Buendia or Pukki.

Hanley, Skipp and others have had great seasons but it's Buendia and Pukki who truly make the difference.

It’s all about opinions - imo without Skipp our defence would be nowhere near as effective and guts like Emi wouldn’t be clear to do their thing.  Pukki has had a good season, but isn’t in my top 3.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJ said:

Farke has turned around a squad that looked far from favourites to be promoted, and definitely not winning the title which I certainly hope we do. 

How many teams were better equipped for success this season? 

I love Farke and he's done a great job again but this season isn't like working a miracle.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s all about opinions - imo without Skipp our defence would be nowhere near as effective and guts like Emi wouldn’t be clear to do their thing.  Pukki has had a good season, but isn’t in my top 3.

Likewise without Pukki our attack wouldn't be anywhere near as effective.

And it's goals that win you games, promotions and league titles.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, GJP said:

How many teams were better equipped for success this season? 

I love Farke and he's done a great job again but this season isn't like working a miracle.

I'm not saying we weren't well equipped, but he's done well to turn around a team that lost 13 of their last 15 games I believe it was. Watford were favourites from memory, followed by Bournemouth who spent money to boost their squad. As I said in my post, Barnsley manager will probably win it anyway, but Farke deserves some recognition, if not just retribution for somehow not being given the award 2 seasons ago

4 minutes ago, GJP said:

"Attack wins you games, defence wins you titles" - Sir Alex Ferguson.

Obviously that's a very general comment and not always the case, but the defensive side of the game is always undervalued in POTS voting as defenders don't get as many headlines.

Last time we went up, it was because we had a great attack and a gung-ho approach which outscored the opposition, therefore debunking Ferguson's theory. This time round, we're scoring fewer goals but are conceding fewer too, so I'd say this season has backed it up.

In conclusion, my picks for POTS are Buendia, followed by Skipp, then either Hanley or Aarons for third. I'd put Pukki fifth.

1 hour ago, GJP said:

To be fair on reflection it's really hard to leave Pukki out of our top 3. At the end of the day, the most difficult thing in football is scoring goals and he could well finish on 28 or similar goals this season.

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

but the defensive side of the game is always undervalued in POTS voting as defenders don't get as many headlines.

In conclusion, my picks for POTS are Buendia, followed by Skipp, then either Hanley or Aarons for third. I'd put Pukki fifth.

In this instance it would appear the attacking side of the game is being undervalued. 

People can rightly point to a better defence helped by Skipp. But where's our attack without Pukki?

Could we be top of the league if Rupp or Tettey or another had been playing in midfield all season? Maybe, maybe not.

Could we be top of the league without Pukki? Not a chance.

5 minutes ago, GJP said:

Could we be top of the league without Pukki? Not a chance.

Unlikely, but you never know. Same with Tettey in place of Skipp or Zimmermann in place of Hanley.

I posted the stats for the division's top 25 goalscorers last week, which was every player that had scored eight goals or more. Jordan Hugill's goals-per-minute from his limited appearances was better than all of them bar Toney and Pukki.

• Like 1

Agree that it should be Buendia for POTS, but I can definitely see an excellent argument for Ismael getting MOTS even if Barnsley fall just short. To have put together a team in such a short time, following on from a popular manager in Struber who only just escaped relegation with the last game of last season is a truly superb achievement. We overachieved a bit when considering how few relegated teams come back up and indeed that we lost two of our defenders that took us up before, but the majority of the team that blew up the league two years ago was still there. Ismael's cobbled together a side that went on an incredible run and made the play-offs with games to spare one season after surviving on the last match.

MOTS really has to be a shootout between Farke and Ismael, with Xisco slightly behind.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Last time we went up, it was because we had a great attack and a gung-ho approach which outscored the opposition, therefore debunking Ferguson's theory. This time round, we're scoring fewer goals but are conceding fewer too, so I'd say this season has backed it up.

Last time we went up we conceded the fewest goals away from home in the division . This idea that we were “gung-ho” isn’t quite bourne out by the stats away from home . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Last time we went up we conceded the fewest goals away from home in the division . This idea that we were “hung-ho” isn’t bourne out by the stats away from home . 

It was also the most goals conceded for the title winning team in 20 years, and the most goals scored by any Championship side for four years.

We still conceded an average of a goal a game away, so overall, I'd say we were the most 'gung-ho' promoted Championship team of recent times.

There is a narrative outside of Norwich that we were too good for the Chumps , and therefore the job our players and manager has done isn't out of the ordinary.

Friends of mine have said it for months - it’s when not if we go up.

In the eyes of non norwich fans , Buendia is a premier league player , playing down a level .  

I don’t follow this logic but it may help to understand the “football” view of why Toney may win over Emi. Toney has risen through the ranks whereas Emi is just too good to be here! 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was also the most goals conceded for the title winning team in 20 years, and the most goals scored by any Championship side for four years.

We still conceded an average of a goal a game away, so overall, I'd say we were the most 'gung-ho' promoted Championship team of recent times.

As I said . Not away from home . We conceded 23 goals away from home . The lowest in the league . The blades with their rock solid defence conceded 24. 

Sky Sports News announced the players as POTS were Buendia, toney and Cantwell, I couldn't believe Todd was even considered as POTS.  Pukki makes more sense but will be behind Toney if Emi not crowned.

On 26/04/2021 at 18:12, hogesar said:

Buendia has been the best player in the league comfortably. And has the stats to back it up.

I think they'll give it to pony toney as its his 1st season in the champ (I believe) 29 goals 10 assists, I hope they don't get promoted. We all know emi is miles better than anyone else in this division. Something about Brentford i really don't like 

Toney has picked it up, not that I am surprised.

I find it incredible that Buendia can win several player of the month awards where Toney didn't and he still doesn't win, I feel Emi has been a cut above all season.

23 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree that it should be Buendia for POTS, but I can definitely see an excellent argument for Ismael getting MOTS even if Barnsley fall just short. To have put together a team in such a short time, following on from a popular manager in Struber who only just escaped relegation with the last game of last season is a truly superb achievement. We overachieved a bit when considering how few relegated teams come back up and indeed that we lost two of our defenders that took us up before, but the majority of the team that blew up the league two years ago was still there. Ismael's cobbled together a side that went on an incredible run and made the play-offs with games to spare one season after surviving on the last match.

MOTS really has to be a shootout between Farke and Ismael, with Xisco slightly behind.

Xisco may well still get it, since he came in , Watford  have gained 4 more points than us . If he'd  been there all season, I doubt we'd  be top. 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Xisco may well still get it, since he came in , Watford  have gained 4 more points than us . If he'd  been there all season, I doubt we'd  be top. 

Very fair point, but on paper Watford still arguably had more of a team - especially when keeping Sarr.

Why do they insist on having these awards things before the season has even ended too... so the last 2 games of the season are irrelevant?  It's still nearly 5% of the season to go...

On 27/04/2021 at 12:18, TheGunnShow said:

Certainly wouldn’t be against Ismael getting MOTS - weren’t Barnsley looking like they might end up facing another relegation battle earlier this season? Although they’re looking like they’ll only just survive, I’ve also been very impressed with how Derby have done under Rooney, considering he had no managerial experience and that they weren’t going to stand a chance early on in the season. Did play most of his career under Ferguson though.

On 27/04/2021 at 09:53, NorfBhoy66 said:

The Sun Championship "expert" has given Toney Player of the Season and the Barnsley manager gets the Manager of the Year Award

Expert my 4rse 🥴