Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

How much are we spending this summer

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Did we actually spend £7m on Wildschut?!

I don't think he did in the end- think it was a 'could end up being' type of fee.

37 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Actually think RVW would thrive in the set up we have now. Especially playing along side Emi. 

I have often wondered exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I was also very interested to try find out how much the parachute payment was.

"Under the current system they are calculated based on the club’s Premier League revenue from the season in which they were relegated. With 55 per cent of that figure handed out in the first year in the Championship, before falling to 45 per cent and 20 per cent in years two and three."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-benefit-unexpected-83m-boost-20465551

55 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This is scary though...

Screenshot_20210426-134310.thumb.jpg.8970389b1c68e428894be69e3276ab63.jpg

It's not THAT bad. You could easily argue that only 3 of those were bad deals (Naismith, RVW and Wildschut).

Brady and Pritchard left for more than they were signed. Hooper had a goalscoring rate of nearly 1 in 3 whilst with us and we recouped around £3 million when he left. Klose was brilliant for us, and that header against Ipswich alone justifies the transfer fee and Giannoulis is looking like a great acquisition.

2 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

The question is basically how long is a piece of string. 

I asked is it a good piece of string and it replied I'm a frayed knot

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Wildschut got absolutely slated.  Is Placheta any better though?

Context is everything

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I don't think he did in the end- think it was a 'could end up being' type of fee.

That's what I thought. He won't have got close to any personal performance based add-ons.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

That's what I thought. He won't have got close to any personal performance based add-ons.

He was utter cack though. Biggest discrepancy between reported fee and actual ability I think I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was utter cack though. Biggest discrepancy between reported fee and actual ability I think I've ever seen.

Hang on, we got Theoklitos on a free..

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Already spent 16 million on Dimi and Gibson.

From what Goreham and Butler have said previously this season, the Gibson money was already allocated from this years budget. Although it gets reported as his purchase would be triggered by promotion, supposedly the fee was agreed and the choice would be down to us even if we were not promoted.

Sounds to me that they planned it intelligently so if the pandemic impact cut too far into things and we didn't get promoted we were able to be in a position to have a choice of signing him or not depending upon where we were in the league and financially.

Giannoulis isn't £8million either. Closer to £6mill. You might argue what the point of quibbling over a couple of million is but Buendia cost £1.5mil... 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

This.

Alex Neil laughed when this was put to him, I believe his response was "not even close!"

Like you, I suspect that add-ons for things like appearances and promotion were involved. In fact, around the time he stopped being played so much then loaned out, one suggestion was he was nearing an appearances based fee that would see another cost incurred.

30 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Wildschut got absolutely slated.  Is Placheta any better though?

"Is placheta any better" could be the basis for a song....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is scary though...

Screenshot_20210426-134310.thumb.jpg.8970389b1c68e428894be69e3276ab63.jpg

Very. I always refer to the players that Hughton and Alex Neil spent money on when people argue that the club haven't made funds available for managers to keep us in the premier league.

Imagine if we had not spent that money and we'd not had to have a promotion just to resettle the books and Farke had more money to spend than the change from a fiver from getting a paper, mars bar and a bottle of panda pop from the village shop?

The only players on that list that were remotely worth it were Brady, Pritchard and I am going to say Giannoulis.

The rest never proved their value. I say that being a massive fan of Klose, but for me, as much of a great guy as he is, he has been injured a lot, including almost straight after signing for us. Then compare the price we paid for him to the likes of Zimmermann and Hanley and ask if he has genuinely and consistently been a better performer. That also coincided with a time when we stopped putting relegation clauses in contracts.

I don't think I can ever forgive Hughton for pushing out Vaughan, Martin, Jackson, Holt and Morison and replaced them at great cost with Wolswinkel and Hooper with the addition of loan signing Elmander.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chicken said:

You might argue what the point of quibbling over a couple of million is but Buendia cost £1.5mil... 

I think Emi ended up costing us about €5m

1 minute ago, kirku said:

I think Emi ended up costing us about €5m

On promotion if I am not mistaken? If so, I'd be happy with similar costs if we signed a player but with retaining premier league status was the trigger.

Still underlines my point though, that £1.5-2mill can still get you a player that could be worth a gamble. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

On promotion if I am not mistaken? If so, I'd be happy with similar costs if we signed a player but with retaining premier league status was the trigger.

Still underlines my point though, that £1.5-2mill can still get you a player that could be worth a gamble. 

Personally, I think we should be shopping in a slightly higher tier than that.

There are very few players that would be available for that fee that would improve our first team. Needle in a haystack. And we need quality improvements more than squad filler punts.

I'm more interested in the number of signings and the profile of player we look at than fees spent tbh. All of our best signings in the past 2 decades have always been cheaper players anyway. more disappointing to me last year was how few players we signed as opposed to how much we spent. We need quite a few more first time quality players, possibly around 8 (7 if we get Skipp back) We probably have around 10m + wages available to spend right now but I expect us to sell Aarons for about 30m so I'm guessing we have about 40m to spend this year. So if we say we get 2 loans in, that leaves us 40 ish million for 5 or 6 new players meaning we can spend an average of about 8 million per player, not break the bank and give the squad the help it will need next season. 

Moreover I want to see some skillful athletes signed. We don't have anyone in the squad except for Hernandez who can get the ball and speed past players (Placheta hasn't mastered running at speed with the ball yet, but he's good over the top) a big CB and RB to make us less vulnerable for corners and crosses and somehow if possible within our budget we have to find a top class central midfielder that somehow other clubs have overlooked, I mean someone who could play for a top 6 club level of quality although that last one is much more in hope than expectation but I have faith in our recruitment team

40 minutes ago, chicken said:

Very. I always refer to the players that Hughton and Alex Neil spent money on when people argue that the club haven't made funds available for managers to keep us in the premier league.

Imagine if we had not spent that money and we'd not had to have a promotion just to resettle the books and Farke had more money to spend than the change from a fiver from getting a paper, mars bar and a bottle of panda pop from the village shop?

The only players on that list that were remotely worth it were Brady, Pritchard and I am going to say Giannoulis.

The rest never proved their value. I say that being a massive fan of Klose, but for me, as much of a great guy as he is, he has been injured a lot, including almost straight after signing for us. Then compare the price we paid for him to the likes of Zimmermann and Hanley and ask if he has genuinely and consistently been a better performer. That also coincided with a time when we stopped putting relegation clauses in contracts.

I don't think I can ever forgive Hughton for pushing out Vaughan, Martin, Jackson, Holt and Morison and replaced them at great cost with Wolswinkel and Hooper with the addition of loan signing Elmander.

Have a look at the sales since that list, it makes you feel better. Let’s not use those examples to never dare spend again. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Godfrey and Lewis didn’t leave on frees. 

You asked how much we'd spend this summer. You didn't say how much will we spend minus the money we got from sales from the previous season?

It's almost like you've got an agenda...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think we can hazard a guess how long the string is as things stand. 

So why ask, if you already know. One thing is  for sure, it won't be enough for some.  

• Like 1

For me, it's not about how much we spend. Some on here are obsessed with money and would have delightfully sold our club 10 times over to the exact owners who have been villified for trying to ruin the English game due to their greed.

It's simply about the right players. If we spend £5m and get another Emi i'll be much happier than spending £9 million and getting a Naismith.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hogesar said:

For me, it's not about how much we spend. Some on here are obsessed with money and would have delightfully sold our club 10 times over to the exact owners who have been villified for trying to ruin the English game due to their greed.

It's simply about the right players. If we spend £5m and get another Emi i'll be much happier than spending £9 million and getting a Naismith.

Agreed, it's not how much we spend, it's what we spend it on.  If my memory  serves me  right,  hasn't the OP got a bit of an axe to grind on this topic? ....all a bit boring really as the answer is clearly that we'll spend whatever the board feels is right. As we have no say in this whatsoever, as someone pointed out earlier , it's a pointless exercise,  unless it's a ruse in order to have a  whinge.

It's not a 'sexy' answer, but the truth is, it's not about how much you're packing, it's how you use it...

What I do know is that if Webber has £15m to spend, he won't waste it on a Wildschut or Naismith. He'll buy, more than likely, someone around 25 years old, who has already played in Champions League or Europa League, with a few years of top flight experience in a European league, and who has scope of improve and increase in value. A Giannoulis type.

It's all about scouting well and recruiting for Farke's style. And a higher wage ceiling will certainly help. 

So in many respects, I don't think the headline transfer fee is important at all.

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You asked how much we'd spend this summer. You didn't say how much will we spend minus the money we got from sales from the previous season?

It's almost like you've got an agenda...

Don’t be silly, but as always ignore the bits that don’t suit. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t be silly, but as always ignore the bits that don’t suit. 

No one ever admits to having an agenda.

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agreed, it's not how much we spend, it's what we spend it on.  If my memory  serves me  right,  hasn't the OP got a bit of an axe to grind on this topic? ....all a bit boring really as the answer is clearly that we'll spend whatever the board feels is right. As we have no say in this whatsoever, as someone pointed out earlier , it's a pointless exercise,  unless it's a ruse in order to have a  whinge.

A huge axe that any executioner would be proud of. Joking apart it’s a vey reasonable question that you don’t have to guess at or take part in. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A huge axe that any executioner would be proud of. Joking apart it’s a vey reasonable question that you don’t have to guess at or take part in. 

It was a reasonable question until you decided that the fact we're already about to spend a chunk of money for next season doesn't count because we sold some players this season.

53 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

We need quite a few more first time quality players, possibly around 8

Too many new players - I presume you mean first team quality. You disrupt the teams harmony if half of those who got us up are dispatched with + that's a lot of money to spend on the wage budget.

I'd much rather that we got 4 or 5 good signings than spread the money out over 8 players. Not allowing for any sales, I'd say central defender, deep lying midfielder, No 10 and a striker as main priorities.

• Like 1