Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

For the oldies on here

I remember that.  Pretty sure it was either Esso or Shell that gave out the badges when you bought petrol.  Made a change from Green Shield Stamps!

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just came across this on social media, thought some of you might like this.

badges.jpg

Sadly, I had most of the set! They were nicely made on shiny hard embossed card.

As a petrol freebie, the all time favourite was a tiger's tail though ☺️ ( reckon c.1965)

Edited by sonyc

46 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Got a full set of the Esso World Cup coins in the official blue card display board. 

Ditto.

Still! 😅

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just came across this on social media, thought some of you might like this.

badges.jpg

Collected them all - Esso . And I reckon around 1970. The norwich badge was the old lion and castle from memory . Still got them somewhere and the Esso Coins from the 1970 World Cup. 

Edit - sorry missed the Norwich badge on the photo. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

12 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

I loved those

Had them all,  for some reason they seem worthless, put them on eBay got around £2

Guess thousands were produced 

Edited by daly

4 minutes ago, daly said:

Had them all,  for some reason they seem worthless, put them on eBay got around £2

Guess thousands were produced 

Yeh I had a sneaky look a while ago and a full set was hardly worth anything, still I loved collecting them as a kid and the pleasure was getting the full set.

Seem to recall this was what pushed City into having a competition to design a new badge, as most were surprised by the esso set that we still had the City coat of arms as the official badge

11 hours ago, Van wink said:

Got a full set of the Esso World Cup coins in the official blue card display board. 

You actually have Terry Cooper? I hate you 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You actually have Terry Cooper? I hate you 😂

My older brother worked in Russel Hartes (-now long gone) Esso garage in Lessingham, I was the first at our school to have the whole set I recall.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

My older brother worked in Russel Hartes (-now long gone) Esso garage in Lessingham, I was the first at our school to have the whole set I recall.

If you hear someone creeping around in the middle of the night, don't panic, it's me looking for Terry Cooper

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you hear someone creeping around in the middle of the night, don't panic, it's me looking for Terry Cooper

I’ve got about 20 Gordon Banks somewhere ....

13 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

Seem to recall this was what pushed City into having a competition to design a new badge, as most were surprised by the esso set that we still had the City coat of arms as the official badge

What defines "the official badge", and what evidence is there that this version was ever official?

This badge wasn't ever used on the kit, wasn't used in the matchday programmes, nor the Handbooks.

Does anyone have anything showing NCFC using this badge in any official capacity?