Sign in to follow this  
unique

With next season very much in mind...

Bearing in mind that we didn't score a single goal from a free kick last time in the Premier League who is going to do it for us this time?

Nothing to do with scapegoats. Everything to do with avoiding relegation next season.

Is he good enough to be our regular No.10 next season?

i'm looking forwards to next season where aginst the better teams he will get a lot of space and won't be man marked. For me, he's not the man to play no.10 v Burnley/Palace/ etc but he's a good player and like Cantwell i think he'll shine more in the PL when he has more space to work in. For me though we need an upgrade on Stiepermann and a workhorse who is strong and fast to play that position against the counter attacking teams who will squeeze us and not give us space to play

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Which player(s) have done reasonably well this season, but realistically probably need to be upgraded at Premier League level?

It sounds harsh, but any promoted side needs to makes a few upgrades and Dowell is one of the obvious candidates.

Mark my words. Dowell will do us proud next season.

Cantwell had a season out on loan and only started playing for us autumn ‘18 due to squad injuries. Played well making quite a few appearances, and scoring his first goal. When he started playing in the PL last season I felt he was doing even better than he did in the Championship

Dowell had Championship loan spells with Derby and Wigan last season, and although not doing great at Derby, did brilliantly at Wigan. He made his debut for us in our first game of the season - the 3-1 League Cup defeat to Luton scoring our goal. He continued in the starting line up until he picked up a serious injury early on in the season in the home draw against Preston. He recovered just before the new year but found himself behind Vrancic in the pecking order. He managed to get back to first choice, was improving fast and has now scored 3 league goals for us. I think he was signed to replace Vrancic (out of contract this summer) and Stiepermann (out of contract next summer) who are both in their 30’s and seem to be losing it. I think he will stay first choice, and I do believe that he may turn out great next season. Am just hoping he doesn’t turn out to be the next Stiepermann (great in our promotion season, poor in the top flight, and poor back in the 2nd tier the following season), but I don’t think he will be 

1 hour ago, unique said:

Nothing to do with scapegoats. Everything to do with avoiding relegation next season.

Is he good enough to be our regular No.10 next season?

He had 4 shots, 5 key passes today in a match we win 3-1 which almost secures us the league title just a handful of days after promotion is confirmed and you want to be pissy about whether he's good enough to play in the Premier League? 

Let's at least get to next season before we write off one of our best young players shall we? 

Sheesh.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Mark my words. Dowell will do us proud next season.

I'd love him to.

But last time we went up, we signed five players and all of them were inferior to the players we already had in those positions and it was a total disaster.

This time, we have to sign players that are better than ones we already have or the same will likely happen again. The obvious positions are centre back, central midfield and number ten, even though the players in those have been excellent.

15 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He had 4 shots, 5 key passes today in a match we win 3-1 which almost secures us the league title just a handful of days after promotion is confirmed and you want to be pissy about whether he's good enough to play in the Premier League? 

Let's at least get to next season before we write off one of our best young players shall we? 

Sheesh.

It was a question.

Nobody was being written off..

You think he is ‘one of our best’ young players.

Fine.

Just don’t be ‘pissy’??with your answer......

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sheesh.

I thought Dowell had one of his best games for us today, but at the same time I still see him as someone to upgrade next season, or buy strong competition for at the very least. 

I don’t think its necessarily slating a current player’s contribution or writing them off, more being realistic that we will absolutely need to upgrade several spots throughout the starting 11 - regardless of how well everyone is doing now - and the number 10 spot still seems a pretty obvious area to upgrade, particularly out of the four attacking spots in the team. 

I’m sure he’ll still get a chance to prove himself, just like Krul did last year, but I think it is likely an area where we get a new regular in - particularly as we will likely look for someone with far more physicality than a Dowell type (think an upgrade on Rupp).

Personally I think we're far more likely to be looking to upgrade Placheta and Hernandez with Buendia or Cantwell potentially operating centrally. Or we may well look at signing another striker who can operate deeper to fill that 10 position when we're chasing games (which we will be a lot more next season).

Which current player looks like Jim Kerr from Simple Minds?

or

What are those little wooden things you always have left over after building flat pack furniture?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Personally I think we're far more likely to be looking to upgrade Placheta and Hernandez with Buendia or Cantwell potentially operating centrally. Or we may well look at signing another striker who can operate deeper to fill that 10 position when we're chasing games (which we will be a lot more next season).

I think Farke learned his lesson from last time and we likely won't operate with 3 out and out attacking midfielders next season which may limit Dowells chances somewhat.

First season. With a proper pre-season we might see the best of him. Looks a real talent but needs to work a bit harder for me when we haven't got the ball. Perhaps that's his languid style? But I think will be our No.10 next season

12 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

First season. With a proper pre-season we might see the best of him. Looks a real talent but needs to work a bit harder for me when we haven't got the ball. Perhaps that's his languid style? But I think will be our No.10 next season

I think thats why he won't play as a number 10 that much next season- at the next level we can't have players who don't work hard when we don't have the ball. 

We tend to be quite compact in the centre where he operates and his control is generally excellent in tight areas. However, due to that situation and the lack of space he has he can be exposed.

I'm hoping, much like TC last time in the PL he will find his feet quickly and be a real asset. I have a feeling he will do well. 

14 hours ago, unique said:

If ‘Dowell’ is the answer.......what is the question?

Is it..... 

Who will start the ***** official matchday thread *****? 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think Farke learned his lesson from last time and we likely won't operate with 3 out and out attacking midfielders next season which may limit Dowells chances somewhat.

I think the imbalance between attack and defence has been largely addressed by making the AMs much more disciplined in tracking back and positionally when we don't have the ball. There's no such thing as an out-and-out attacker in Farke's system.

13 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

i'm looking forwards to next season where aginst the better teams he will get a lot of space and won't be man marked. For me, he's not the man to play no.10 v Burnley/Palace/ etc but he's a good player and like Cantwell i think he'll shine more in the PL when he has more space to work in. For me though we need an upgrade on Stiepermann and a workhorse who is strong and fast to play that position against the counter attacking teams who will squeeze us and not give us space to play

The fantasy and fallacy of more time and space in the Premier league has been proven wrong so obviously, that I cannot believe people still cling to it. 

Players are closed down and have less time than in any other league in the world. 

20 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

The fantasy and fallacy of more time and space in the Premier league has been proven wrong so obviously, that I cannot believe people still cling to it. 

Players are closed down and have less time than in any other league in the world. 

100%!

I like many others used to say the old urban myth about having more space and time in the top flight!

In reality competent top flight players have an excellent first touch, make less mistakes combined with being athletics with strength and pace all of which means that there is less time and space in the top flight!

Norwich City found that out the hard way last season being far too lightweight and slow. This season we've been outstanding against lesser opposition who don't possess the above Premiership qualities but in our game the other night against Watford who are the nearest team in the Championship to the above top flight qualities we came up well short.

Dowell is a very technically gifted player but his athletic qualities are short of Premiership standard. Maybe with coaching he can get better? 

All of this means is Norwich have to bring in 4-5 players of a higher quality in order to stand any chance of surviving. 

Edited by kingsway

1 hour ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Yeah I remember thinking this about Phil Mulryne in 2004!

I feel that Dowell may be a younger version of Vrancic - possibly with similar weaknesses. My suspicion is that we need quite a muscular direct threat in the 10 role in the PL. A 'super' Marco.

We've been a bit lacking in bite in reality since Rupp was injured - Huddersfield aside (although they set up wrong).

Maybe just me musing that all the same criticisms of Vrancic could apply to Dowell - possibly more so.