Dean Coneys boots

Premiership window ground hog day

It certainly is the most important transfer window of Webber’s tenure, going to be intriguing who we get, who we lose and who we keep.

12 hours ago, Monty13 said:

It certainly is the most important transfer window of Webber’s tenure, going to be intriguing who we get, who we lose and who we keep.

12 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Not sure that's true. We are only where we are because last summer we only sold Godfrey and Lewis, who were replaceable, and held on, despite tempting interest, to Cantwell and particularly Buendia.

Not quite sure where the OP thinks all this money is coming from. Last time we had to pay off the debt arising from stupid spending by Alex Neil. This time round we're going into it having just lost £25m to Covid. And we've already agreed to spend around £13m on Gibson and Dimi. The only way we'll have huge amounts available is if we sell the crown jewels

Surely it would be better if the likes of Buendia could be persuaded to stay rather than just allow them to leave in the hope that a decent but cheaper replacement can be found over the summer? 

7 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Surely it would be better if the likes of Buendia could be persuaded to stay rather than just allow them to leave in the hope that a decent but cheaper replacement can be found over the summer? 

I think that's a given DB, but not quite in our hands.

Nothing to like better than to put the same 'stars' out on the first day of the season (with a couple of strengtheners) and I think we'd survive, for once.

Unlikely to happen though. We can but wish.

59 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not quite sure where the OP thinks all this money is coming from. Last time we had to pay off the debt arising from stupid spending by Alex Neil. This time round we're going into it having just lost £25m to Covid. And we've already agreed to spend around £13m on Gibson and Dimi. The only way we'll have huge amounts available is if we sell the crown jewels

I'd like to know what the exact hit from Covid was.

It was certainly sizeable but mitigated by the 'grant' from the PL, increased television revenue (with a bit more advertising), IFollow receipts and, of course, use of the furlough scheme. I noticed that one club (yesterday on tv) sold "crowdies" to their fans, which were cardboard cut-outs to put in the stands. Did we do anything similar? Certainly the stands were be-dekked with advertsing boards.

Take all that into account and it need not have been a complete disaster ... and all other clubs suffered too.

Edited by BroadstairsR

29 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I guess by the same token you'll be hoping a big club doesn't come calling for Raphinha. 

57 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It was certainly sizeable but mitigated by the 'grant' from the PL, increased television revenue (with a bit more advertising), IFollow receipts and, of course, use of the furlough scheme. I noticed that one club (yesterday on tv) sold "crowdies" to their fans, which were cardboard cut-outs to put in the stands. Did we do anything similar? Certainly the stands were be-dekked with advertsing boards.

Take all that into account and it need not have been a complete disaster ... and all other clubs suffered too.

I'm pretty sure that Webber talked about £25m which I assume is net after ifollow. I stand to be corrected but I'm usually quite good at remembering how much marriages and illnesses have cost. We have done better out of ifollow than any other club despite Bill's best efforts 😊

For what it's worth I think we'll have about £80m to spend from the sale of 3 players. Replacing Max won't break the bank but the other 2 will be expensive if we want the same standard

Edited by dylanisabaddog

4 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

I guess by the same token you'll be hoping a big club doesn't come calling for Raphinha. 

If it happens, it happens but I don't think the situations are the same. Leeds can afford to give Raphinha a pay rise whereas it seems City won't or can't give Buendia say £50K a week. 

6 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

If it happens, it happens but I don't think the situations are the same. Leeds can afford to give Raphinha a pay rise whereas it seems City won't or can't give Buendia say £50K a week. 

It really depends on who comes knocking for him. 

If its a team like Liverpool, Leicester or even Arsenal who can offer him a much higher profile and the potential to get into the Argentina squad while playing European football then fair. I'd be underwhelmed though if we just sold him to Villa or Leeds just because they could pay a good fee.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

It really depends on who comes knocking for him. 

If its a team like Liverpool, Leicester or even Arsenal who can offer him a much higher profile and the potential to get into the Argentina squad while playing European football then fair. I'd be underwhelmed though if we just sold him to Villa or Leeds just because they could pay a good fee.

I think it's a big decision for Buendia, if he stays and has a poor season then he will find it harder to get a big money move later but by going to somewhere like Liverpool he won't be guaranteed a starting place. If Leeds get rid of Rodrigo over the summer I can actually see him at Elland Road but I know that won't be popular here.  

18 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure that's true. We are only where we are because last summer we only sold Godfrey and Lewis, who were replaceable, and held on, despite tempting interest, to Cantwell and particularly Buendia.

While I think that’s fair, my point is he has to do the same things keeping hold of our best talent or replace them in the PL, that’s much harder.

Groundhog Day is actually a pretty good analogy. If I'm remembering the film correctly, while many things were similar in each repetition of the loop, he actually made a series of incremental improvements to all areas of his personality before, ultimately, saving the day.

Similarly, each time we're promoted, we get more pieces of the puzzle in place. Bring on the next repetition. Hopefully this will be the one where we finally crack it. Otherwise we'll try again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

if that was all it took to get him to stay it'd be an absolute no brainer

11 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

I think it's a big decision for Buendia, if he stays and has a poor season then he will find it harder to get a big money move later but by going to somewhere like Liverpool he won't be guaranteed a starting place. If Leeds get rid of Rodrigo over the summer I can actually see him at Elland Road but I know that won't be popular here.  

can't see him moving to any club not in Europe tbh. It'll be a "big six" side or a CL side or he'll stay.

If we'd not gone up then things would be different

On 26/04/2021 at 07:08, BroadstairsR said:

This is all taken from a Michael Bailey piece from July 2020, and I believe these detailed figures were supplied to him by someone at the club. Since we have been promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt, it sounds like we aren't liable to repay a £8m rebate (since we'll forego our second year of parachute payments). But since the club took £2.5m from the furlough scheme I can understand them not wanting to disclose the financial position in any great detail.

"The COVID-19 pandemic and behind-closed-doors football had left a £15 million hole in Norwich’s finances for this season.

With relegation confirmed and the potential for the same supporterless scenario in the Championship next season, the club are preparing to add another £5 million to that figure — hugely depending on when fans can return to Carrow Road.

Norwich will finish bottom of the Premier League. Should the season now complete, their rebate to the broadcast rights-holders is likely to be worth £8 million, which will be deducted from the second and final year of their parachute payments if they are still in the Championship.

The club deferred its 2018-19 HMRC tax bill for VAT and PAYE of £18 million following football’s suspension. That is due in March. Norwich also made £2.5 million of savings that included using the UK government’s furlough scheme — a fact the wider public may remember should a £20 million transfer fee head Norwich’s way."

Groundhog Day is actually a pretty good analogy. If I'm remembering the film correctly, while many things were similar in each repetition of the loop, he actually made a series of incremental personal improvements and generally had a great time before, ultimately, saving the day.

Similarly, each time we're promoted, we get more pieces of the puzzle in place. Bring on the next repetition. Hopefully this will be the one where we finally crack it. Otherwise we'll try again, and maybe learn to play the piano this time.

On 26/04/2021 at 21:20, Petriix said:

Groundhog Day is actually a pretty good analogy. If I'm remembering the film correctly, while many things were similar in each repetition of the loop, he actually made a series of incremental improvements to all areas of his personality before, ultimately, saving the day.

Similarly, each time we're promoted, we get more pieces of the puzzle in place. Bring on the next repetition. Hopefully this will be the one where we finally crack it. Otherwise we'll try again.

48 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Groundhog Day is actually a pretty good analogy. If I'm remembering the film correctly, while many things were similar in each repetition of the loop, he actually made a series of incremental personal improvements and generally had a great time before, ultimately, saving the day.

Similarly, each time we're promoted, we get more pieces of the puzzle in place. Bring on the next repetition. Hopefully this will be the one where we finally crack it. Otherwise we'll try again, and maybe learn to play the piano this time.

Groundhog day indeed 😛