Dogbo Daggins

Chairmen/owners pre-Geoffrey Watling in 1957?

Hi friends,

I'm creating an infographic on Norwich for a Uni assignment, and I am looking at presenting a timeline of the history of the club, including information such as managers, final league positions and top scorers.

While I can find most of this information easily online, I am struggling to find any data on Chairmen/owners pre-Geoffrey Watling in 1957. I was wondering if anyone has any links to this data please?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help and assistance with this.

25 minutes ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Hi friends,

I'm creating an infographic on Norwich for a Uni assignment, and I am looking at presenting a timeline of the history of the club, including information such as managers, final league positions and top scorers.

While I can find most of this information easily online, I am struggling to find any data on Chairmen/owners pre-Geoffrey Watling in 1957. I was wondering if anyone has any links to this data please?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help and assistance with this.

There is a book called Canary Citizens - which I have a copy of but I cant find it. Details below. 

Canary Citizens: The Official History Of Norwich City F.c. Hardcover – 1 Jan. 1986

by John Eastwood & Mike Davage (Author)

it would have all of this info if you can find a copy. Excellent point of reference. 

• Like 1

Here is a list of chairmen up to Geoff Watling in 1957:

1902. Robert Webster

1905. Wilfred Burgess

1907. John Pyke

1917. William Blyth

1920. Ernest Morse

1931. William Hurrell

1935. James Wright

1948. James Hanley

1957. Geoffrey Watling

I hope this is of help in your assignment.

Edited by Crafty Canary
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 17:12, Crafty Canary said:

Here is a list of chairmen up to Geoff Watling in 1957:

1902. Robert Webster

1905. Wilfred Burgess

1907. John Pyke

1917. William Blyth

1920. Ernest Morse

1931. William Hurrell

1935. James Wright

1948. James Hanley

1957. Geoffrey Watling

I hope this is of help in your assignment.

What! No super rich Chinese chairmen in that lot?

No wonder its always been "Little Ol' Norwich." All these Williams, James's and Ernests etc.

We need a Chiang Kai-Cheque asap, imo.

Edited by BroadstairsR

@Graham Paddons Beard and @Crafty Canary

I just wanted to say thanks for your help again. It helped give me some really useful information.

I finished my infographic last week and I'm reasonably happy with it. 

The main graphs include a sankey chart dividing each season into finishing position by quadrant (I divided each league into quarters), which you can filter by manager and chairman. I flanked the sankey with a bar graph at each end showing cup data at one end and top scorers of each season at the other. 

On the left and right edges I have graphic visualisations for information such as key stakeholders, top transfers and celebrity fans.

I emailed it to the club just before the weekend (wasn't really sure who to send it to though). I'm going to wait a few more days and then I may share it on here.

• Like 2

It’s quite an interesting topic, club owners and ownership before the prem league era. When I first watched us we just assumed gate receipts funded the club and the board was made up of local business men. It was the radicalisation in response to the Robert Chase dark days which enlightened me to the potential influence we fans could and should have. 

On 25/04/2021 at 07:13, BroadstairsR said:

What! No super rich Chinese chairmen in that lot?

No wonder its always been "Little Ol' Norwich." All these Williams, James's and Ernests etc.

We need a Chiang Kai-Cheque asap, imo.

🙂 🙂 

I think we're better off sticking with the status quo (mintang). 

15 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

🙂 🙂 

I think we're better off sticking with the status quo (mintang). 

Status Quo are buying the club?

Have just found Agenda Documents for NCFC Annual General Meetings (at the Royal Hotel) from 1949 to 1966 (1952 is the only year missing) if that helps in any way.  The docs include full lists of all Directors plus other posts inc Manager etc.  Also includes full Balance Sheet & Revenue Sheet for all those individual years.  Amongst other things I found some Pink Uns and Evening News Papers from that era as well.  These, plus Programmes etc were handed to me by a shareholder about 50 years ago when I was a kid so have been stored and carted around many house moves since.