Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Happy St. George's Day!

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bloody Turkish migrants, coming over here and killing our dragons..

Most experts believe it was a crocodile he killed.

He never came to England and is the Patron saint of Georgia, Ethiopia, Catalonia and Russia.

His family were Syrian refugees who had moved to Turkey. 

Happy St Georges Day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Haus said:

He never came to England and is the Patron saint of Georgia, Ethiopia, Catalonia and Russia.

His family were Syrian refugees who had moved to Turkey.

Plus ça change...................😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The other one didn't last long. Jools is being cancelled. 🤣

He keeps having meltdowns, and that really isn't wise for a right-wing snowflake.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The other one didn't last long. Jools is being cancelled. 🤣

Jools does evoke the thought of Don Quixote rather than St George.

• Haha 1

St.George will be remembered now as the patron saint of Jools getting himself booted off the Pink Un. Double celebrations next year.👍

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

St.George will be remembered now as the patron saint of Jools getting himself booted off the Pink Un. Double celebrations next year.👍

With it seeming that bothJools and Bill are taking well deserved sabbaticals we are probably only 2 or 3 away from the possibility of a decent debate

34 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

With it seeming that bothJools and Bill are taking well deserved sabbaticals we are probably only 2 or 3 away from the possibility of a decent debate

IMO, that is something of an under-estimate and I'm not including myself in those numbers, although you may well have 😀

But anyway here's a genuine question for you - what is the basis of saying that they have taken well deserved sabbaticals' - is this just supposition (Jools has posted today I think) or it is actually 'officially' stated anywhere on the site?

I've wondered this a few times in the past when someone (usually Bill) is said to be taking a break but never seen anything definitive to back it up.

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

IMO, that is something of an under-estimate and I'm not including myself in those numbers, although you may well have 😀

But anyway here's a genuine question for you - what is the basis of saying that they have taken well deserved sabbaticals' - is this just supposition (Jools has posted today I think) or it is actually 'officially' stated anywhere on the site?

I've wondered this a few times in the past when someone (usually Bill) is said to be taking a break but never seen anything definitive to back it up.

Ha has, I am not including you either!

Indont know about any official statement, I am just picking up what you guys have said about jools.   Bill hasn't been seen for a while.  With 37,000 posts to his name I doubt he is just taking a voluntary break!

55 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Sod St George 

St Edmund is the saint for me 😎

Chance that St Edmund might be German, not saying that is a bad thing, just that he may be no more English than St George......

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

23 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Chance that St Edmund might be German, not saying that is a bad thin, just that he may be no more English than St George......

Ah búgger 

George, Edmund, Philip...Are there any of our national icons that are actually English?

Or are we just a people made up from various tribes that crossed the channel/north sea over the centuries 😔

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Ah búgger 

George, Edmund, Philip...Are there any of our national icons that are actually English?

Or are we just a people made up from various tribes that crossed the channel/north sea over the centuries 😔

The Norfolk way is to "winter and summer" incomers a few times before deciding whether or not they are OK, so I suppose the same could be applied on a national scale.......

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Chance that St Edmund might be German, not saying that is a bad thing, just that he may be no more English than St George......

Better not tell the Irish that St Patrick was Romano-British. Probably a breach of the Northern Irish protocol I suspect.

• Haha 1

The Express asked 6,170 of its readers whether they thought we should get a day off to celebrate St George's Day; 93% said yes. Perhaps they should also have asked if we should get a day off to celebrate St Andrew's Day, St Patrick's Day, and St David's Day too. Methinks they might get an even higher percentage saying yes. And why not throw in another day off for St Twa*t, the patron saint for moronic newspaper editors.

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

The Express asked 6,170 of its readers whether they thought we should get a day off to celebrate St George's Day; 93% said yes. Perhaps they should also have asked if we should get a day off to celebrate St Andrew's Day, St Patrick's Day, and St David's Day too. Methinks they might get an even higher percentage saying yes. And why not throw in another day off for St Twa*t, the patron saint for moronic newspaper editors.

We loved celebrating St David’s day at school, national costume, singing cultural songs, poetry and some theatre in the morning and the afternoon off as I recall to digest your leek 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿. I feel sorry for some of my English friends who seem inhibited and are made to feel ashamed for celebrating their national day. 

34 minutes ago, Van wink said:

We loved celebrating St David’s day at school, national costume, singing cultural songs, poetry and some theatre in the morning and the afternoon off as I recall to digest your leek 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿. I feel sorry for some of my English friends who seem inhibited and are made to feel ashamed for celebrating their national day. 

You make a good point 

The last St George's day I was at school for, I shaved my head, wore a string vest and shorts, sang "two world wars and one world cup" "The famine is over" and "Swing Low sweet chariot", drank 6 tins of Stella Artois, which I  believe is our national drink and made "dambuster eyes" at the German exchange student 

I got suspended for a fortnight 😟

9 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

You make a good point 

The last St George's day I was at school for, I shaved my head, wore a string vest and shorts, sang "two world wars and one world cup" "The famine is over" and "Swing Low sweet chariot", drank 6 tins of Stella Artois, which I  believe is our national drink and made "dambuster eyes" at the German exchange student 

I got suspended for a fortnight 😟

Maybe it’s just a difference of culture 😉

Edited by Van wink

....but seriously, St George doesn't mean a great deal to me.

Even the pubs seem to think St Patrick's day is the big one, or at least they did last time I lived in England

I don't think an English national day is a bad idea, I  would pick a day in early July to break up the bank holidays a bit

Any significant date in early July we could use?

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man