chicken

Squad and Assessment End of Summer '21.

20 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

E1B5B79B-D68A-4648-A506-CE5A5AF4BDEF.jpeg

Why, he’s a poacher, he’s clinical. The one thing he’ll get at Norwich is plenty of chances. We need someone to help Pukki and Defoe is a different style to what we have already. 
He may well be too old now but someone like him. 

33 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

if Skipp doesn’t return I’m thinking Rupp can do his job. They both worked well prior to Christmas before Rupp got injured and Sorensen as backup.

Entirely different players. Rupp is an option for the role Kenny plays but he isn't replacing Skipp.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Why, he’s a poacher, he’s clinical. The one thing he’ll get at Norwich is plenty of chances. We need someone to help Pukki and Defoe is a different style to what we have already. 
He may well be too old now but someone like him. 

We can’t spend that amount on wages for a 38 year old to sit on the bench, he hardly played for Rangers this season which tells us something 

51 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

One player I’d really like to see play for us is Defoe.

I'd rather Willem Dafoe

• Haha 1

Just updated the first post with the latest info.

Only two real pieces of news so far. Both outgoing players.

3 hours ago, chicken said:

Just updated the first post with the latest info.

Only two real pieces of news so far. Both outgoing players.

What about the 5m spent on Gunn? 

Flurry of business with more expected.

Just with two new signings the squad is starting to take shape. As areas become more clearly defined I'll embolden the player names as I have done with the goalkeepers. For me that's locked and loaded now we have Gunn (pun intended). Krul pushed by Gunn for the starting birth with McGovern in the wings should we need the bench filled. Oxborough and Barden likely to be loaned out again, especially Oxborough due to his age as he isn't U21 so would have to be named in the PL squad if he was going to be used.

Clearly some players still to be moved on. 30 of the players are over 21 but that includes the likes of Trybul, Thompson, Leitner, Drmic and Klose who we have likely seen the last of you would have to suspect. If those players alone were cut that would leave 25.

Then there is the likes of Sitti, Sinani, Famewo and Bushiri who were all on loan last season and may be again this season.

As always, there is likely to be some unpredicted movement yet as well. Interesting times ahead. Especially with the homegrown rule. Of the 14 I think I have identified (unsure on Idah), four have been named in the above. 

GK: Krul, Gunn, McGovern, Oxborough, Barden(20).
CB: Hanley, Gibson, Zimmermann, Omobamidele(19), Klose, Bushiri, Famewo.
FB: Aarons, Mumba(19), Byram, Giannoulis, McCallum(20). 
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Sitti, Trybull, Thompson.
AM/Wing: Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Martin(19), Sinani.
Str: Pukki, Hugill, Idah(20), Drmic

I can't help but feel that something is brewing due to the recent departures. In terms of genuine first team squad, all of those I have emboldened, we have 19. It's a tad harsh on Hugill and it's looking increasingly likely that if we are not looking for another striker, he'll still be here. So that would be 20.

Omobamidele or Famewo/Bushiri may well also be added to the squad, the former wouldn't have to count towards the squad limit due to his age. Same as Idah, McCallum, Martin and Mumba. Whilst that would free up a potential of 5 other spaces, it would also remove 4-5 (does Idah meet the homegrown criteria?) homegrown players.

Those that meet the homegrown rules and more senior in their squad roles at this time are Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Gibson, Aarons, Byram, Dowell, Cantwell and Hugill. One more than the minimum 8 I believe. So we are safe either way.

I can't help but feel something is occuring and we may have only seen the start of the reshaping of this squad... wishful thinking perhaps?

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

I can't help but feel something is occuring and we may have only seen the start of the reshaping of this squad... wishful thinking perhaps?

I think you're likely correct.

If we believe the reports that the Gibson and Giannoulis fees were already accounted for then we've so far spent about £15m but sold a player for £33m. I imagine we wanted to clear these players off the wage bill when we had the cash to do so without it denting our transfer budget- its likely they both cost us somewhere between £500k-1m to settle. I'd also imagine the Gilmour loan fee won't be huge.

So we should have enough to add a couple more players in the £10-12m area as long as wages are reasonable.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think you're likely correct.

If we believe the reports that the Gibson and Giannoulis fees were already accounted for then we've so far spent about £15m but sold a player for £33m. I imagine we wanted to clear these players off the wage bill when we had the cash to do so without it denting our transfer budget- its likely they both cost us somewhere between £500k-1m to settle. I'd also imagine the Gilmour loan fee won't be huge.

So we should have enough to add a couple more players in the £10-12m area as long as wages are reasonable.

Indeed, and that's going on the basis hat the £14m for Gibson and Giannoulis was all we had in transfer funds before selling Buendia. Another one to throw into the pot is Soto if we get a loan fee and potentially one million Euros, that could pay off the ending of the aforementioned contracts.

There are lots of little details that are quite clever when you look at them. Like Gunn being £2.5m upfront. If that's true then we are really boxing clever if you ask me.

Plus the bit from the PinkUn live stream where Paddy alluded to someone in the club telling him if Webber lands all of the targets he wants, then it's going to be quite a watch this season. That was after all the signings we have made bar Gunn I think. So there are deffo more and I think there are still more surprises to come.

There was talk early on, for example, about the club listening to loan offers for Hugill, possibly offers in general. With Pukki 31, they have to have one eye on that as well. Hugill is 28 and clearly not a 'prolific' striker. No better time to recruit than now, in the Premier League and in a better position than most leagues in Europe at the moment.

46 minutes ago, chicken said:

I can't help but feel that something is brewing due to the recent departures. In terms of genuine first team squad, all of those I have emboldened, we have 19. It's a tad harsh on Hugill and it's looking increasingly likely that if we are not looking for another striker, he'll still be here. So that would be 20.

Omobamidele or Famewo/Bushiri may well also be added to the squad, the former wouldn't have to count towards the squad limit due to his age. Same as Idah, McCallum, Martin and Mumba. Whilst that would free up a potential of 5 other spaces, it would also remove 4-5 (does Idah meet the homegrown criteria?) homegrown players.

Those that meet the homegrown rules and more senior in their squad roles at this time are Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Gibson, Aarons, Byram, Dowell, Cantwell and Hugill. One more than the minimum 8 I believe. So we are safe either way.

A guess would at the moment be this, given that several players, such as Sorensen, McLean and Rashica can operate in more than one role:

Krul, Gunn, McGovern (3). That looks settled.

Aarons or a not that expensive AN Other, Byram, Mumba, Giannoulis (4) Pretty settled assuming Byram is fit, and unless Mumba is not thought up to it. His one real show was as a substitute left-sided left winger against a tiring Swansea (I think it was) side.

Hanley, Gibson, Zimmermann, a very expensive AN Other, Omobamidele (5). Pretty settled unless Omobamidele would do better loaned out.

Rupp, McLean, Sorensen, Gilmour, a very expensive purchase or expensive loaned in AN Other. (5) Pretty settled.

Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Placheta (Hernandez) (4/5). Hernandez in brackets because I don't think he is up to it, but Webber and Farke might think that about Placheta as well or instead.

Pukki, Idah, (Hugill) (2/3).Hugill in brackets for the reason Hernandez is..

I agree that something may be brewing above and beyond the stated targets in central defence and central midfield. Of those six sections it is the last two which look the thinnest, even accounting for multi-purpose players, and bearing in mind as Bethnal says that strikers in particular cost the most.

I’m starting to get the feeling we may have barely started yet, looks like a complete overhaul of the squad.

Looking at it now I think we need at least 3-4 additions after Gilmour. 

That assumes no more exits from the first team, but there’s a number with question marks on stepping up and I remain unconvinced Aaron’s will still be here at the end of the summer.

Whatever happens I think it seems clear now it will be a much changed first team from last year.

Edited by Monty13

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A guess would at the moment be this, given that several players, such as Sorensen, McLean and Rashica can operate in more than one role:

Krul, Gunn, McGovern (3). That looks settled.

Aarons or a not that expensive AN Other, Byram, Mumba, Giannoulis (4) Pretty settled assuming Byram is fit, and unless Mumba is not thought up to it. His one real show was as a substitute left-sided left winger against a tiring Swansea (I think it was) side.

Hanley, Gibson, Zimmermann, a very expensive AN Other, Omobamidele (5). Pretty settled unless Omobamidele would do better loaned out.

Rupp, McLean, Sorensen, Gilmour, a very expensive purchase or expensive loaned in AN Other. (5) Pretty settled.

Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Placheta (Hernandez) (4/5). Hernandez in brackets because I don't think he is up to it, but Webber and Farke might think that about Placheta as well or instead.

Pukki, Idah, (Hugill) (2/3).Hugill in brackets for the reason Hernandez is..

I agree that something may be brewing above and beyond the stated targets in central defence and central midfield. Of those six sections it is the last two which look the thinnest, even accounting for multi-purpose players, and bearing in mind as Bethnal says that strikers in particular cost the most.

I would go with that mainly. I think Hernandez still has a lot to offer, his boundless enthusiasm will be much needed in the dressing room and you know he can bring a game from the bench. I also felt that in project restart, he was probably our best forward threat.

Also, I think if we keep the same formation, I think it'll be him and Placheta playing back up to Rashica, Dowell and Cantwell. Though we also remain to be linked with wide attackers so who knows. It'd be sad, I really like Hernandez, but it is starting to feel like they are really pushing the limits of our scouting network and transfer budget this time, perhaps encapsulating a bit more risk?

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’m starting to get the feeling we may have barely started yet, looks like a complete overhaul of the squad.

Looking at it now I think we need at least 3-4 additions after Gilmour. 

That assumes no more exits from the first team, but there’s a number with question marks on stepping up and I remain unconvinced Aaron’s will still be here at the end of the summer.

Whatever happens I think it seems clear now it will be a much changed first team from last year.

Yup. I can see that too. If they are being full on ruthless, I could see Zimmermann going if we brought in two CB's as Omobamidele is just short of experience really and Bushiri and Famewo likely need a season in the champs to see if they are up to it as well - though equally, they could be gone as well.

Interesting point no one seems to have picked up on is that in one of the recent pieces about our goalkeeping situation, Farke talks about Krul, Gunn (who we'd just signed), McGovern and Barden but nothing about Oxborough... 

I mean, I think we can say with certainty that Drmic, Klose, Thompson and Trybull will be gone. 

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yup. I can see that too. If they are being full on ruthless, I could see Zimmermann going if we brought in two CB's as Omobamidele is just short of experience really and Bushiri and Famewo likely need a season in the champs to see if they are up to it as well - though equally, they could be gone as well.

Interesting point no one seems to have picked up on is that in one of the recent pieces about our goalkeeping situation, Farke talks about Krul, Gunn (who we'd just signed), McGovern and Barden but nothing about Oxborough... 

I mean, I think we can say with certainty that Drmic, Klose, Thompson and Trybull will be gone. 

It seems pretty clear Zimmerman would be 4th choice if we bring another CB in, assuming he is seen as ahead of Omobamidele. 

Doesn’t seem worth replacing him given all the other areas that need attention unless he isn’t prepared to stay and fight for his spot. Given where we plucked him from, 4th choice CB in a PL team is still pretty good going.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

It seems pretty clear Zimmerman would be 4th choice if we bring another CB in, assuming he is seen as ahead of Omobamidele. 

Doesn’t seem worth replacing him given all the other areas that need attention unless he isn’t prepared to stay and fight for his spot. Given where we plucked him from, 4th choice CB in a PL team is still pretty good going.

Oh for sure, and I like Zimmermann, but with what's going on, I wouldn't be surprised. He, Hanley and Gibson are all 28/29, the new CB they are looking for is going to be younger. They might look for two, which has been rumoured in some places, which might mean Zimmermann leaves. Not sure it would be overly shocking at this point.

A bit of loan trimming in Barden and Martin going out on loan. Makes sense in both cases IMHO. Martin is 19 and has time on his side. A season in L1 with MK Dons will give him games. From what I have seen of him he should be able to hold down a regular starting position there you would hope. Then he'll be 20 with a good amount of experience ready for a loan to the Championship perhaps?

On 30/06/2021 at 19:33, chicken said:

Indeed, and that's going on the basis hat the £14m for Gibson and Giannoulis was all we had in transfer funds before selling Buendia. Another one to throw into the pot is Soto if we get a loan fee and potentially one million Euros, that could pay off the ending of the aforementioned contracts.

There are lots of little details that are quite clever when you look at them. Like Gunn being £2.5m upfront. If that's true then we are really boxing clever if you ask me.

Plus the bit from the PinkUn live stream where Paddy alluded to someone in the club telling him if Webber lands all of the targets he wants, then it's going to be quite a watch this season. That was after all the signings we have made bar Gunn I think. So there are deffo more and I think there are still more surprises to come.

There was talk early on, for example, about the club listening to loan offers for Hugill, possibly offers in general. With Pukki 31, they have to have one eye on that as well. Hugill is 28 and clearly not a 'prolific' striker. No better time to recruit than now, in the Premier League and in a better position than most leagues in Europe at the moment.

It’ll be interesting if we can use Hugill and Trybull as make weights towards getting Armstrong. The outlay cash wise might be an extra £10-15m but the wages saved on Trybull and Hugill will probably cover 90% of Armstrong’s wages. Armstrong is more saleable going forwards if he does well.  A calculated gamble I think.

I think, when fit, Hernandez can still do a job for us but the trouble is for him he’s been injured for a lot of the last 18 months which has upset his rhythm.  However being on international duty currently will mean he’ll be back at the beginning of the season it as a fiddle. Fingers crossed he gets back to the levels shown in the PL and the previous promotion campaign.

On 30/06/2021 at 19:10, chicken said:

Hey all,

Great post chicken!

Just posted about my thoughts and feasibility on a Ollie plus cash for Max deal. I also think Ajer and Billing are more than just rumours. My dream would be we can do business with all of these. I think Trybull, Klose, Thompson and Drmic will all be gone next couple of weeks, so chopped them. This would leave a squad like this (I've updated squad with existing business, and removed those who have gone out on loan, and added my dream deals):

GK: Krul, Gunn, McGovern, Oxborough,
CB: Hanley, Gibson, Ajer, Zimmermann, Omobamidele(19), Bushiri, Famewo.
FB: Mumba(19), Byram, Giannoulis, McCallum(20). 
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Gilmour, Skipp, Billing, Sitti,
AM/Wing: Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta, Sinani.
Str: Pukki, Hugill, Idah(20), 

As I have said in another post, I think this would leave SW with about £17.5 mil AND a prem loan slot to get another FB, and possibly another Striker (this is where I let myself down- think both need to be German. Feels weird having so few German's in the squad!). I think he'd do ok with those constraints! What a squad that is...

Edited by youngriles

GK: Krul(hg), Gunn(hg), McGovern, Oxborough(hg).
CB: Hanley(hg), Gibson(hg), Zimmermann, Omobamidele(19)(hg), Klose, Bushiri,
FB: Aarons(hg), Mumba(19)(hg), Byram(hg), Giannoulis,
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Gilmour (on loan), Sitti, Trybull, Thompson(hg).
AM/Wing: Rashica, Dowell(hg), Cantwell(hg)Lees-Melou, Hernandez, Placheta, Sinani.
Str: PukkiIdah(20), Hugill(hg).

I think I am up to date... just about. I have classed Lees-Melou as an attacking midfielder as that seems to be widely accepted as to what he is and that includes the club statements.

Along with the squad trimming in terms of loans out etc, it really is starting to shape up. There are still a number of fringe players who's futures are yet to be decided: Oxborough, Klose, Bushiri, Sitti, Trybull, Thompson and Sinani. On an outside note you could throw Placheta, Hugill and Hernandez into the possibly category depending upon signings - you could see Placheta being sent on loan for example, and Hugill may be sold if another striker is brought in.

Hugill is an interesting one. Sounds like the club would be willing to let him go if we bring in another striker. That was fairly obvious, to me, when we were heavily linked to Armstrong. 

With all the players that are certs and possible there are 24 players (inc Omobamidele). Of those, 12 qualify as home-grown, 13 if Idah counts. This means that there is no pressure to name Omobamidele, Mumba or Idah in the squad as all are under 21. So in theory, we have 1+3 slots available for the squad of 25.

In theory, if we continue playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and you go on the basis of needing two players for each position plus an extra keeper and an extra striker, we are more or less there. An out an out DM would give us an option we don't really have and a CB would mean that Omobamidele isn't put under the sort of pressure and expectation that Godfrey was placed under when we had those injuries.

GK: 3
CB: 4
FB: 4
CM: 4
AM: 6
STR: 3

GK: Krul(hg), Gunn(hg), McGovern, Oxborough(hg).
CB: Hanley(hg), Gibson(hg), Zimmermann, Omobamidele(19)(hg), Klose, Bushiri,
FB: Aarons(hg), Mumba(19)(hg), Byram(hg), Giannoulis,
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Gilmour(20) (on loan), Lees-Melou, Sitti, Trybull.
AM/Wing: Rashica, Dowell(hg), Cantwell(hg), Hernandez, Placheta.
Str: PukkiIdah(20), Hugill(hg).

This is where we're at from what I can see.

GK: 3
CB: 4
FB: 4
CM: 5
AM/W: 5
STR: 3

I don't expect some of those to change a lot. When Sargent lands it's expected that Hugill will move on. Goalkeeper is sorted and has been since Gunn was brought in.

I've not yet factored in Tzolis or Sargent... waiting for them to be confirmed first.

Under 21 rules - last season it was on or after January 1st 1999. Logical to think that this season would be on or after January 1st 2000 (just to make those of us who can remember living in the 1900's feel old!). That means that Gilmour, Tzolis and Sargent do not have to be named in theory. And neither do Aarons, Omobamidele, Mumba or Idah. That could, in theory, come into play if we lose another player and look to further strengthen.

As it stands right now, just in numbers we have 24 players that are likely to be involved. That could go up to 25 with Tzolis and Sargent if Hugill then leaves as well. It's likely we will be leaving some of those youngsters without being named in the 25. If people can remember last time out, we didn't even name a full 25 I believe.

It's also worth noting that this likely means we have committed to paying out more wages as well. 

Updated the first post with the finalised squad and who is in/out or shaking it all about on loan. And my views of the balance of the squad in terms of positions and ages.

• Like 1

I cannot fault the club for the business done. It's now up to Mr Farke to get them to gel, find a formation and a way of playing that suits the talent that we have and start picking up results.

• Like 1