chicken

Squad and Assessment End of Summer '21.

Current Squad:

GK: Krul(hg), Gunn(hg), McGovern,
CB: Hanley(hg), Gibson(hg), Zimmermann, Kabak(21)(on loan), Omobamidele(19)(hg).
FB: Aarons(hg)(21), Mumba(19)(hg), Byram(hg), Giannoulis, Williams(20)(hg)(on loan).
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Gilmour(20)(on loan), Lees-Melou, Normann(on loan).
AM/Wing: Rashica, Dowell(hg), Cantwell(hg), Tzolis(19), Placheta.
Str: Pukki, Sargent(21), Idah(20)(hg).

Totals:
Homegrown - 7 senior players over 21 by my count: Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Gibson, Byram, Dowell, Cantwell. 
Total players - 38  34 31 29 27 total.
No.U21 - 7 6  3-4(that I can work out) 9 I believe: Kabak, Omobamidele, Aarons (still!!!), Mumba, Williams, Gilmourm Dowell, Cantwell, Sargent, Idah. 
Bold - those players most likely to form part of the premier league squad.
Italics - those players most likely to be sold/released. 
Underscore - those players most likely to be loaned out.

Summer 2021
Out on Loan:
Martin - 21-22 season long, MK Dons.
Barden(20) - 21-22 season long, Livingston.
McCallum(20)(hg) - 21-22 season long loan, QPR.
Famewo(hg) - 21-22 season long with an option to buy, Charlton.
Soto - 21-22 season long loan to Porto in view of 1m Euro move.
Sinani - 21-22 season long loan to Huddersfield.
Hernandez - 21-22 season long loan to Middlesbrough.
Hugill - 21-22 season long loan to WBA.
Oxborough(hg) - 21-22 season long loan to Barnet

Ins: 
Rashica - £8m+ from Werder Bremen.
Gunn - £5.5m (£2.5m upfront) Southampton.
Giannoulis - £6m AEK Athens
Gibson - £8m Burnley
Gilmour - season long loan, Chelsea.
Lees-Melou - £3.75m
Tzolis - £9m+ from PAOK
Sargent - £8m from Werder Brement
Williams - season long loan, Man Utd.
Normann - Loan for the season in view of permanent if we stay up, from Rostov.
Kabak - Loan for the season in view of permanent if we stay up, from Shalke.
Total: £48.75m + loan fees for Williams, Normann and Kabak.

Outs:
Buendia - Villa(£33m+)
Heise - Karlsruher(free)
Tettey - Rosenborg(free)
Vrancic - (released)
Nyland (released)
Skipp - Spurs(end of loan)
Quintilla - Villarreal(end of loan)
Leitner - mutual consent.
Stiepermann - mutual consent.
Drmic - 21-22 season long (to the end of NCFC contract), Rijeka.
Thompson(hg) - released, mutual consent.
Trybull - released, mutual consent.
Sitti - released, mutual consent.
Klose - released, mutual consent.
Total: £33-34m

Window has now closed and it has been quite a journey. 14 players gone permanently from the end of last season including Skipp who's loan ended. A further 9 players out on loan that were potentially squad contenders due to age etc. When you look at those who have left in a way it's a bit of a sad farewell to the class of 18-19 and the first Farke-Webber revolution and what a debt of gratitude is owed to them for becoming the first wave of the philosophy and culture that we now build our success upon. Maybe not the best individuals but certainly some of the best team players we have seen in recent years.

11 players in, including Gibson and Giannoulis who's contracts were made permanent and payments paid out. Some really good business done and early signs on those we have seen play is very promising. They'll need a bit of time and patience but I think we are already seeing some signs of the team starting to gel and knit together better.

The interesting bit is about the squad numbers - we have 27 players, 8 are 21 and under. So in theory we only have to name 19 players. Of those 19 players, 7 are homegrown, so all of the requirements are met in that regard so far as I can see. It might need balancing a bit next summer though, by which time some like Aarons and Sargent will be too old to be included in the U21 bracket, though they will balance each other out. That's one for the future though, and the focus is very much this season.

How balanced is our squad?
GK:3
CB:5
FB:5
CM:6
AM: 5
STR: 3

If you consider Farke said that he wanted two players in every position (then a couple of extras), it does distinctly suggest the CM is likely to remain as a two or a three in either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. The experience is nicely mixed. Krul is now the senior statesman of the regular starters at 33, then you have a group of players 28-30 in Rupp(30, 31 in Jan), Pukki (31, March), Hanley(29, 30 in Nov), Gibson(28, 29 in Jan), Zimmermann (28, 29 in Jan), McLean(29, 30 in Jan), Lees-Melou(28, May), Byram(27, 28 this month) and then the rest all being 25 or younger I believe with Rashica, Giannoulis both 25, and Cantwell, Sorensen and Dowell being 23.

Hopefully, all of this balance and positivity can lead to much progress on the pitch and a fruitful season. One thing is for certain though - one of the best windows we will have seen in a long, long time as NCFC fans. Anyone that tries to deny the promise or potential of the players we have signed really aught to ask themselves what is going on in their lives at the moment, as it surely isn't Norwich that is making them feel this negative.

Edited by chicken
Udate on info: 04/05/21, 11/06/21, 23/06/2021, 29/06/2021, 30/06/2021, 01/07/2021, 02/07/2021, 06/07/2021, 01/09/21
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Certainly in for an interesting summer. I'm thinking it might be a little more aggresive than some might expect.

Yup. I could see Placheta loaned out as well if the situation suits, just so he can go and get more regular first team football for a season. I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's a possibility.

We certainly have the space in the squad based on a loose assessment. Last time we had to fill that with youngsters to hit the homegrown criteria. That may yet be a limiting factor in terms of loans.

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Certainly in for an interesting summer. I'm thinking it might be a little more aggresive than some might expect.

Indeed, Michael Bailey said the other day the club was a bit too loyal last time and the club realises this.

Of the old guard, I'd personally allow Klose, Tettey, Vrancic and Stiepermann to move on for sure as I can't see any of them contributing to the required level next season and they'll all be the wrong side of 30. I'd possibly even move on Zimmermann if the coaching staff feel Omobamidele is capable of being fourth choice at Premier League level, and one of Hernandez or Placheta (loan) probably need to go too.

• Like 2

My key areas would be...

Central defender- I know he's had an excellent season but I think we need to try and upgrade on Hanley.

Defensive midfield- If Skipp stays great. If he doesn't this position is key

Central midfield/number 10- I'm not convince we'll be using a classic number 10 but more of a McLean/Rupp type who can support the striker while dropping back to form a solid midfield 3 when we don't have the ball. In that case I think we'd need to add another option here.

Striker- this needs to be real competition for Pukki, not a Drmic/Hugill benchwarmer type. Probably the most difficult position to get right.

Just now, king canary said:

My key areas would be...

Central defender- I know he's had an excellent season but I think we need to try and upgrade on Hanley.

Defensive midfield- If Skipp stays great. If he doesn't this position is key

Central midfield/number 10- I'm not convince we'll be using a classic number 10 but more of a McLean/Rupp type who can support the striker while dropping back to form a solid midfield 3 when we don't have the ball. In that case I think we'd need to add another option here.

Striker- this needs to be real competition for Pukki, not a Drmic/Hugill benchwarmer type. Probably the most difficult position to get right.

Somebody that could do what Hernandez did for us in 18/19 but at a Premier League level would be nice too.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, Michael Bailey said the other day the club was a bit too loyal last time and the club realises this.

Of the old guard, I'd personally allow Klose, Tettey, Vrancic and Stiepermann to move on for sure as I can't see any of them contributing to the required level next season and they'll all be the wrong side of 30. I'd possibly even move on Zimmermann if the coaching staff feel Omobamidele is capable of being fourth choice at Premier League level, and one of Hernandez or Placheta (loan) probably need to go too.

Zimmermann is a tough one. He's certainly capable at Championship level and did ok when returning from injury the last time in the Premier League. I think what it will come down to is the next CB they bring in. It might be Zimmermann asks to move, but from what I know of him, he's not on a huge contract and he isn't motivated purely by money and I suspect is quite loyal to Farke. Remember he was ready to throw the towel in and become a teacher before Farke brought him over. If he's content to be 4th choice then I think we'd prefer to send Omobamidele on loan, and don't forget Famewo - who until recently was being praised as the next player likely to step up into the first team squad. 

Of the two, Famewo at 22 would have to be named in the squad, Omobamidele at 18 would not have to be.

In a squad of 25, you'd probably look at something like
GKs - 3
CBs - 5
FBs - 4
CM - 5
AM - 5
STR - 3 (for our system)
With the idea that some can be flexible, eg; Gibson can play LB, Byram can play CB, Rupp/McLean can play in the middle of the three AM, Idah has been deployed as one of the wider AM as well as a striker.

15 minutes ago, chicken said:

Zimmermann is a tough one. He's certainly capable at Championship level and did ok when returning from injury the last time in the Premier League. I think what it will come down to is the next CB they bring in. It might be Zimmermann asks to move, but from what I know of him, he's not on a huge contract and he isn't motivated purely by money and I suspect is quite loyal to Farke. Remember he was ready to throw the towel in and become a teacher before Farke brought him over. If he's content to be 4th choice then I think we'd prefer to send Omobamidele on loan, and don't forget Famewo - who until recently was being praised as the next player likely to step up into the first team squad. 

Of the two, Famewo at 22 would have to be named in the squad, Omobamidele at 18 would not have to be.

GKs - 3
CBs - 5
FBs - 4
CM - 5
AM - 5
STR - 3 (for our system)
With the idea that some can be flexible, eg; Gibson can play LB, Byram can play CB, Rupp/McLean can play in the middle of the three AM, Idah has been deployed as one of the wider AM as well as a striker.

The Famewo/Omobamidele discussion will be interesting- we may see Omobamidele as the brighter prospect which conversely might mean he's more likely to go out on loan. If we think Famewo can do a job at this level but may not improve that much longer term then we may decide he's more useful to us as 4th choice central defender than spending a season in the Championship on loan.

19 minutes ago, chicken said:

GKs - 3
CBs - 5
FBs - 4
CM - 5
AM - 5
STR - 3 (for our system)

Yeah, I agree about Zimmermann. He's also a leader in the dressing room so if he's happy to stay as emergency backup then that's fine, but he may want to go elsewhere and play.

As for the 25-man squad thing, it's quite rare that a club will have a full quota of over-21 players. I'd personally go with two players for every position, and an extra centre forward (Hugill) and goalkeeper (McGovern).

I can see the following going out:

Placheta (loan out), Quintilla, Trybull, Vrancic, Tettey, Skipp (end of loan), Big Andy (loan out)

I'm not at all convinced that Onel is good enough at prem level but he's probably useful to have on the bench as he can make things happen. Ditto Stiepermann.

I think we will sign Nyland as Krul's back up.

I think we need another first team level CB. If Zimm is happy to stay as a squad player then keep him as CB number 4. If not then we probably need two CBs.

I think we also need:

Two DCMs (one being Skipp if we can get him back).

One wide player with pace.

One striker with pace.

A replacement for Max if he's sold. 

Maybe a back up left back.

Squad:

GK: Krul, Nyland, Barden

RB: Aarons/New signing, Mumba, Byram, 

LB: Dimi, McCullum (Sorensen emergency cover)

CB: Hanley, Gibson, New Signing, Zimmerman

DCM: McClean, Rupp, New Signing, New Signing, Sorensen

AM: Dowell, Stiepermann, Buendia, Cantwell

Wingers: Onel, New Signing

Strikers: Pukki, Hugill, New Signing, Idah

• Like 1

I wouldn’t want Zimbo leaving.  

Model pro, not at his best as hasn’t been able to forge a partnership this season.  Always gives everything, and the shirt matters to him.  In an end of season battle, he is someone the club could rely on to be thinking of the team, and not his agent to keep him up elsewhere. 

• Like 3

I think you will need to add replacements for Aarons,  Buendia, Cantwell! I just get the impression that they were given this season with the promise if the right offer came in they could go, I think both Buendia & Aarons will be gone.

To stay up we need at least two strikers who will push each other, Gibson has been a little prone to injuries this year, when he’s in and fit, definitely good enough at this level but another CB is definitely needed.

The reality is we need possibly five or six decent additions, some on loan others not, but could be an exciting summer. 

I expect an aggressive summer window of ins and outs (some forced). Two thoughts. If we want an out and out winger who is PL quality Hernandez is not that, sadly. Placheta might be but seemingly not yet.

Yes, definitely a third striker, but what kind? A better Hugill? A younger Pukki? I don't know if there is such a player out there but I would be looking for what I suppose might be called a wing-striker. Someone  with the drive and goalscoring aptitude to replace Pukki as a lone striker, but also with the ability to play wide/play off Pukki or indeed Hugill.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, definitely a third striker, but what kind? A better Hugill? A younger Pukki?

I would say a pacier movement based player like Pukki as that seems to be the way we prefer to play. If they could be 6' then they would also have the height. So I guess I am saying a bit of A and a bit of B but with added pace. Probably asking for a bit much. An up and coming Callum Wilson is what I'm thinking...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Placheta (loan out), Quintilla, Trybull, Vrancic, Tettey, Skipp (end of loan), Big Andy (loan out)

I'm not at all convinced that Onel is good enough at prem level but he's probably useful to have on the bench as he can make things happen. Ditto Stiepermann.

I think we need another first team level CB. If Zimm is happy to stay as a squad player then keep him as CB number 4. If not then we probably need two CBs.

I think we also need:

One striker with pace.

Squad:

This is almost identical to what I'd go for. The only changes I'd make are replacing Stiepermann with a new signing and loaning out Idah and Barden (McGovern can hang around as a number three if he fancies it).

I think we will have to try and make a couple of statement signings who are better than the current team and then find some players who lift them overall squad quality and compete with the incumbents.

the obvious areas we look short are:

centre back - defo need one more after last time. Ideally this would be someone better than Hanley and Gibson but I would imagine we will look for an older head (someone like a Ryan Bennett or Kyle Bartley). Ideally the guy at Fulham from Man City would be great. Or maybe Basham from Sheff Utd?

centre midfield. We look really short here, even if skipp was somehow to extend his loan for another season. We were out muscled here last time and whilst I think Sorensen looks a real prospect, just him, skipp and kenny is Atleast 2 players short. I’ve said before Grimes from Swansea would be a good fit but badly need a real strong quality midfielder too.

centre forward - pukki needs both competition and some real support off the bench. I have no obvious names 

winger/10 - this will be the other key role to fill, someone with the required quality to make a difference in games and compete with Dowell, Buendia and Cantwell. 

that is quite a shopping list really so I expect quite a lot to go out either perm (Vrancic, Tettey, leitner etc) and on loan (Idah, placheta,). Big summer ahead, I hope Webber acts really quickly 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I would say a pacier movement based player like Pukki as that seems to be the way we prefer to play. If they could be 6' then they would also have the height. So I guess I am saying a bit of A and a bit of B but with added pace. Probably asking for a bit much. An up and coming Callum Wilson is what I'm thinking...

I'd agree. Someone mentioned Nketiah from Arsenal earlier who could be an interesting option if available. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

The Famewo/Omobamidele discussion will be interesting- we may see Omobamidele as the brighter prospect which conversely might mean he's more likely to go out on loan. If we think Famewo can do a job at this level but may not improve that much longer term then we may decide he's more useful to us as 4th choice central defender than spending a season in the Championship on loan.

Keep them both, not having a repeat of two seasons ago 

Be nice to have the option of going 3 at the back occasionally which, unfortunately due the injuries the last time we we there, we couldn’t. 

2 hours ago, City fan said:

Isn't the Greek left back loan deal a permanent on promotion, like Ben Gibson. 

Yup. Sorry, missed that bit in me first post.

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I think we also need:

One striker with pace.

Squad:

I agree with pretty much all you've said there

Here's my views on the positions

GK: Think Nyland will probably be kept as he has some PL experience and I don't think decent GKs come cheap, McGovern out of contract and 37 this summer but may be given one more year as 3rd choice, because I think Barden might go out on loan

RB: Sounds like Aarons is going this summer, need a decent replacement, as he can play LB I reckon Sorensen can also play there

LB: Byram can play there, Mumba's also played there, Gibson can as well, possibly a new signing, 

CB: Defo new signing, possibly two - although great this season, Hanley's career has been plagued with injuries, Gibson's had some problems in the past, Omobamidele probably out on loan, Zimbo not brilliant and IP,  Famewo had injury problems this season, Klose probably sold as out of contract next summer

DM: Don't think we need we need two new signings, just one

AM/Wing: Dowell, Todd and Emi can all play wide and central. Stiepermann may be sold as although great in last promotion season, didn't cut it last time in the PL, hasn't cut it this season in the Championship, and out of contract next summer. Hope we don't lose Emi or Todd, Placheta and Sinani might go out on loan

ST: New signing to keep Teemu on his toes, can't see Hugill cutting it, Idah might go out for a Championship loan

Edited by HazzaJet

19 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Farke certainly has changed his tune in recent weeks, usually batting off questions with the standard 'we can't spend outside our means' response, but recently he's been saying he expects we will be able to invest in the squad this time around. It certainly makes me hopeful we can get some decent deals on board. We can't fault Webber's superb efforts this season, 3 loan to buy deals with 2 proving incredibly successful. If we can do another couple next season it removes the risk financially if we go down, but if we stay up means we can grab a bargain or two. I think this, couples with the fact Webber seems to like to conduct his business fairly early makes for an exciting few months ahead of us!

In terms of signings, agree with most of the feedback up. 1 x CB, 1 x LB if McCallum isn't up to it, RB is fine if we keep Aarons, DM we need to replace Tettey/Skipp, LW we can't rely on Placheta to back up Cantwell, CAM x 1 for me, Dowell coming on well but not enough depth quality there, and 1xCF to compete with Pukki.

So in short I'd say we definitely need;
1 x CB (assuming Klose leaves)
1 x LB (assuming we don't sign Quintilla, who hasn't looked good enough defensively for the Prem for me)
1 x CF (To compete with Pukki, Idah out on loan?)
1 x DM (poss 2 if we can't keep Skipp and Tettey becomes a coach)
1 x CAM

and possibly if finances allow; 1 x LW/RW 

Whilst Farke has tightened our defence and much of that is down to the defensive covering, energy and awareness of our Tottenham loanee, there is no doubt in my mind that the top priority has to be a striker to genuinely compete with / rotate with Pukki.

We all admire Pukki's wonderful two Championship seasons (and half a Premiership season) but for all his intelligence, movement, and work rate, he has significant limitations. He cannot (or will not) head the ball and cannot (or will not) drop deep and 'make something happen' by piling one into the top corner from 25 yards when 'nothing is on'. 

If the supply line of threaded, through balls is basically cut off and / or his finishing is a bit rusty then we are well and truly stuffed. This is where another striker (we all thought / hoped it may be Idah but this season has been a write off for him) is absolutely essential and such striker MUST play a really meaningful role instead of the 'bench warming' bit part favoured by Farke for the likes of Idah, Hugill, Drmic and Rhodes.  Get this right and I'm fairly confident we could survive. Failure to do so and we will come straight back down again struggling to reach 30 points.       

2 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

The initial poster ignores the prospect that beunda, cantwell, and Aarons might not be in the squad. 

The initial poster ignores nothing.

We are not in the summer yet and we will have to deal with those players moving on if they do move on. When we get closer to that I will comment on it, but at this point no one knows.

The point of this thread was to assess the current squad as we have it and who is contracted to the club and appears to be in favour etc and what plans might be for those out on loan, or possibly looking to be out on loan.

Which is exactly why some people have also pointed out that they feel we may see one or two more of the contracted players moved on than perhaps we think.

They are probably right. It doesn't mean I have "ignored" the concept. We just don't know. And it is perfectly fine to speculate. 🙂

43 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Harry Wilson looks like he'd be available... I'd take him for a not-too-much fee.

I know he's a bit of a **** but I would too.

However if we're taking someone from Liverpool in that position I'd go for Harvey Elliott, although that would only be a loan.

37 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Whilst Farke has tightened our defence and much of that is down to the defensive covering, energy and awareness of our Tottenham loanee, there is no doubt in my mind that the top priority has to be a striker to genuinely compete with / rotate with Pukki.

We all admire Pukki's wonderful two Championship seasons (and half a Premiership season) but for all his intelligence, movement, and work rate, he has significant limitations. He cannot (or will not) head the ball and cannot (or will not) drop deep and 'make something happen' by piling one into the top corner from 25 yards when 'nothing is on'. 

If the supply line of threaded, through balls is basically cut off and / or his finishing is a bit rusty then we are well and truly stuffed. This is where another striker (we all thought / hoped it may be Idah but this season has been a write off for him) is absolutely essential and such striker MUST play a really meaningful role instead of the 'bench warming' bit part favoured by Farke for the likes of Idah, Hugill, Drmic and Rhodes.  Get this right and I'm fairly confident we could survive. Failure to do so and we will come straight back down again struggling to reach 30 points.       

Agreed- we saw last time the gap between Pukki and Drmic was so big that Farke stuck with an injured and out of form Pukki over him. We need a player who can really push Teemu for a starting place. 

Wilson and Elliot are players I could imagine Farke would like working with but I think we need more of a powerhouse winger, or at least somebody that's fast and direct. If we could just find somebody like Sarr but for quarter of the price.