cambridgeshire canary

'It felt like a Premier League game'- Hanley

Words from our absolute rock at the back during his post match interview. Seen a lot of people across social media being all 'well that doesn't bode well for next season then does it?' In reaction to his words.

Always worth remembering however we were playing with our main left back out, an 18 year old youth academy player at centreback and that half our team were hungover- Nevermind quite a few of them also seemingly still having injury concerns and not being at full fitness..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

No disrespect to Watford or ourselves but it really wasn't. A couple of really good of Championship teams who will struggle to make their mark next season. That's how I thought more games would have been this season tbh.

It was a hard game but next season we will be up against the best in Europe if not the world.

It was like the games you get against the likes of Palace, Burnley, Southampton and to a lesser degree the likes of Everton. They out muscled us in midfield, forced a few errors and had a couple of quick and powerful players up front who looked threatening when they got the ball.

Is anyone else sort of glad we didn't win the title last night? With all that happened it would have received pretty much no coverage at all. 

We were below our best, Watford wanted it more than us and our players didn't have normal preparation for the game. And we only lost 1-0 in which one of our players was fouled in the build up to their goal. Yes we didn't play well or create much, but Cantwell had 2 decent chances to get something from the game and on another night we would have done. 

The lads have done a stupendous job and I'm sure they'll still bring home the title, our survival next season does not hinge on an "off" night against the second best team in the league who needed the win to secure promotion

Edited by AJ
  • Like 3

Furthermore, I have no doubt that for the final three games it will be business back to normal and we'll grab that title with ease .... especially as Watford, having virtually assured promotion themselves after last night's results, are likley to have the same dip in application that we have just had.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I felt the same as per Hanley's comments when I was watching the game.  Watford got a new manager in December and he's got them playing well with a really solid defence, and people need to remember they had at least one player who cost more than our entire squad.  While I agree the game was a useful measure of areas we need to improve on for next season, there are also lots over-reacting on here.

Reality is the bottom 12 of the Prem are not far apart, and who goes down in any given season tends to be some of the newly promoted sides who are not up to it, in their first or second seasons after promotion, plus whoever else has a bad season that year. People talk about being an "established Premier league side" but really there are plenty of teams mid-table in the Prem at the moment who could be viewed as "established" but all of them are at risk of the drop next season.

Sadly I don't think it's a coincidence that City got doubled up by both Watford and Bournemouth.  I think it's going to be another difficult season in the Prem.

49 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

You cannot read anything into last night, other than the problem every promoted team has around needing some better players. 

.....and I have no doubt that Webber will be making plans as we speak..!!!!!🔰

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MORDENCANARY said:

Sadly I don't think it's a coincidence that City got doubled up by both Watford and Bournemouth.  I think it's going to be another difficult season in the Prem.

It probably will be, survival in the Premier League is not easy. The reality is we started off alright last time but petered out with injuries and poor form. This time, we're better equipped, more experienced, better balanced with deeper quality in the squad - and we still have the summer transfer window to come. We just need to be able to compete, nobody is expecting more than that. We'll all take finishing one place above the relegation zone next season - we just don't have the spending power of other teams to realistically aim higher than that but that's okay, most of us accept that is the case. But surviving a season in the Prem could open doors, financially, to be able to continue to invest and improve the squad so it is important we give it our best go this time around.