Hungover from being allowed a beer, and up against a team looking to seal promotion.

Plus a little bit of us not being physically equipped for the Premier League, but one would hope we are looking to do some business this summer and perhaps bring a few in - and you would hope that they are with a view to giving us a bit more physicality? 

Sorenson, Hugill, and Gibson all had that in mind. 

Tettey, Vrancic and Xavi off the wage bill, probably £30m for Aarons, might be some scope to make a few decent signings this time around? 

We couldn't rectify the problems we had last time in the Prem in one transfer window, not unless we wanted to end up having to have a transition season again and that is far too high risk. 

Webber and Farke both spoke about being bullied physically after relegation, they know the problem, i don't think we can expect us to sign diminutive players in the summer, and it is the reason why Vrancic won't be retained. 

• Like 2

We've absolutely outperformed expectations this season, thanks to the reinvested in the transfer windows we have much better depth, and have improved key areas at LB and CB, just DM to sort if we can't keep Skipp and possibly another CF but Hugill has done his job when called upon. We were missing key players last night, with 3 others playing with injuries a couple of days on from having a wild celebration.

The reality is, result aside from last night, if you'd have been told we'd be 5 points clear at the top of the table having just played Watford with 3 games to go, you'd be absolutely over the moon with that, wouldn't you? So let's back the boys and get the title sown up against QPR!

We were outfought in midfield but so many people are going on size rather than attitude. The attitude could be down to a little party and Watford having more to play for but I looked at their midfield and they are not the monsters some people think they are. Hughes 6 feet 1, Gosling 6 feet and Cleverly 5 feet 9. We were not playing against the land of the giants they just wanted it more on the day. 

• Like 1

I think df said no team will ever get 138 points so surprise surprise Norwich lost. I would guess mclean was asked to play a bit deeper as support for Omobamidele. Who talent that he is has obviously been asked to keep it simple so only Hanley brings the ball out from the back. Result lack of numbers in midfield. 

And if anyone thinks playing 72 hours after playing with 10 men against Bournemouth is easy. Especially with a deserved celebration in between think again. 

Clearly Norwich are a more physical and experienced team than 2 years ago and no doubt other players will be brought in. Probably  need just 1 win from 3 games to win the league. Stop whingeing and thank the club for giving us some much pleasure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

I think df said no team will ever get 138 points so surprise surprise Norwich lost. I would guess mclean was asked to play a bit deeper as support for Omobamidele. Who talent that he is has obviously been asked to keep it simple so only Hanley brings the ball out from the back. Result lack of numbers in midfield. 

And if anyone thinks playing 72 hours after playing with 10 men against Bournemouth is easy. Especially with a deserved celebration in between think again. 

Clearly Norwich are a more physical and experienced team than 2 years ago and no doubt other players will be brought in. Probably  need just 1 win from 3 games to win the league. Stop whingeing and thank the club for giving us some much pleasure.

I’m not whinging I’m just pointing out that we still have quite a way to go to get a decent PL midfield.

What we’ve achieved this season is outstanding and I am not knocking that. There's no harm in mentioning what needs to be done to make us more PL ready and for me Kenny is not PL material. 

4 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m not whinging I’m just pointing out that we still have quite a way to go to get a decent PL midfield.

What we’ve achieved this season is outstanding and I am not knocking that. There's no harm in mentioning what needs to be done to make us more PL ready and for me Kenny is not PL material. 

As I have said elsewhere, bar Giannoulis, there isn't anything about this side that we didn't know at the start of play last August.

We knew then that Vrancic and Tettey are out of contract in the summer. That Trybull, Leitner and Thomson would appear to be out of favour - Trybull at least having been tried in the Premier League. We also know that it would appear Sitti is considered one for the future at age 21. We also knew that Skipp was on loan and not with an agreement to purchase so we couldn't count on his future.

In theory, that leaves us with McLean who has been far, far, far better this season than the previous two. Rupp who was a much improved player after the summer and Sorenson as seemingly the main competition for two CDM/Holding midfield positions.

Same goes for CB. Klose's move is in view of a permanent I believe. Zimmermann, Hanley and Gibson the only experienced CB's we have. Zimmermann is good enough for back up but we really need another one in there - this was confirmed by Farke in January when he said that they were looking to strengthen the CB and LB positions if possible - then signed Giannoulis.

Add to that Webber and Farke have also identified the team needs more pace, again as far back as last years summer transfer window.

I think we are in a much better position than we were. Last time out we lacked depth in our squad. Unfortunate injuries to all bar our most inexperienced CB also hugely impacted. Our CM wasn't really at the races most of the time even though there were glimpses of ability. Farke has been a bit merciless in that regard. No sentiment.

Trybull gone, Vrancic often expressed as not having the legs to get up and down the pitch - and he doesn't, as good as he is on the ball and from dead ball situations. And they'll know more needs to be done there.

One player in each department down the spine IMHO. Possibly a pacier winger type as well.

If the Kristoffer Ajer links to us are true then that will sure help shore us up when it comes to strength and physicality, but the obvious question is.. Who's he replacing? He would not come to sit on the bench that's for sure. Do feel we need some players like him, big and imposting to really help us put a stop to our 'lightweight...ness'

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If the Kristoffer Ajer links to us are true then that will sure help shore us up when it comes to strength and physicality, but the obvious question is.. Who's he replacing? He would not come to sit on the bench that's for sure. Do feel we need some players like him, big and imposting to really help us put a stop to our 'lightweight...ness'

I don't think it's about replacing anyone. You need competition for places as well as depth. At 23 he'll know that the Premier League is a step up. He'll be competing with Hanley and Gibson, and replacing one of the CB births vacated by the likely departure of Klose.

As we have seen with Farke, he'll let someone retain their starting position if they have earned it. Minimum of 4 CB's needed for a PL campaign. Hanley is 30 this year.

On 20/04/2021 at 20:43, Capt. Pants said:

Hughes and Cleverley are a couple of physical ****s, happy to be unpopular and play on the edge. We are going to have to learn to play like that from time to time.

We are better side than Watford but it's no coincidence they always beat us. 

Hi folks

Watford fan here. 

First of all, congratulations on promotion. Clearly well deserved, you've been very consistent and very good this year.

Regards how physical Watford are, that's a strange one. We got totally bullied by Luton in the previous game.

Hughes and Cleverley work very hard but they aren't exactly monstrous in there, Hughes is over 6' but Clevs is only 5'9.

Our defence were big lads on the night, but Sarr, Pedro and Sema aren't particularly tall or good in the air.

On this occasion we were more up for it and also tried to mark your best players out of it; whereas Sarr seemed to have as much room as he wanted as you tried to play the same as you usually do.

Do you think Farke will be more flexible with his system against a team like us that pressed you when it comes to next season?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperTM said:

Hi folks

Watford fan here. 

First of all, congratulations on promotion. Clearly well deserved, you've been very consistent and very good this year.

Regards how physical Watford are, that's a strange one. We got totally bullied by Luton in the previous game.

Hughes and Cleverley work very hard but they aren't exactly monstrous in there, Hughes is over 6' but Clevs is only 5'9.

Our defence were big lads on the night, but Sarr, Pedro and Sema aren't particularly tall or good in the air.

On this occasion we were more up for it and also tried to mark your best players out of it; whereas Sarr seemed to have as much room as he wanted as you tried to play the same as you usually do.

Do you think Farke will be more flexible with his system against a team like us that pressed you when it comes to next season?

You played us well - bypassed Skipp, isolated Buendia and let Cantwell try his fancy tricks in non-dangerous areas. Dowell at 10 barely touched the ball. Don't think Pukki got the ball in the channels more than once when he usually gets 6 or 7 a game. 

Clearly we were a bit jaded (!) but you really wanted it and we didn't much and it was a comfortable win for you on the night.

I don't read too much into it. We had an 18 year old 4th choice centre back and a rusty 2nd choice left back  which restricted our ability to play out. We've been playing out of tighter presses all season without too much trouble.

In hindsight, Placheta and Hugill should have started to give you more to think about.

You've beaten us four times on the bounce now. We're due a win next season in the EPL when it really matters!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

You played us well - bypassed Skipp, isolated Buendia and let Cantwell try his fancy tricks in non-dangerous areas. Dowell at 10 barely touched the ball. Don't think Pukki got the ball in the channels more than once when he usually gets 6 or 7 a game. 

Clearly we were a bit jaded (!) but you really wanted it and we didn't much and it was a comfortable win for you on the night.

I don't read too much into it. We had an 18 year old 4th choice centre back and a rusty 2nd choice left back  which restricted our ability to play out. We've been playing out of tighter presses all season without too much trouble.

In hindsight, Placheta and Hugill should have started to give you more to think about.

You've beaten us four times on the bounce now. We're due a win next season in the EPL when it really matters!

Omibamidele looked OK from what I saw.

I'm rather counting on continuing our winning run against you next season, could be our only wins of the season!

I think it's worth noting that at the start of the season Omobamidele was probably more like 6th choice CB. It wasn't planned to lose Klose but a good offer for him and the club came in for him to go to Basel initially on loan for a season in view to a permanent deal, fee already agreed I believe.

Famewo needed game time and whilst seen as the more imminent to become a regular part of our first team set up, he did need to go on loan and has gained some really good praise from his time away. Omobamidele at that point was still part of our U18's I think as he is still only 18.

He has done really well in recent games with very focused players around him.

I think your (SuperTM) assessment of the game is correct. In response to your question about Farke being more flexible, I actually feel that over the course of the season we have seen that. We have been more more defensively capable and I think that shows. A couple of seasons ago that Watford performance would have put a good couple more goals past us. We are much more resilient as a result.

Do we have the quality in players to be able to do exactly what Farke wants us to be able to do yet? Not yet.

Our matchday squad could be bought for the money spent on Sarr alone. Will we do better in the PL next season? Lets assume Bournemouth are promoted with us and yourselves (Watford). Arguably that is probably the combined strongest three promoted teams in some time.

Fulham spent over £100mil but didn't have the experience of the PL in their squad that yourselves or Bournemouth have, even us now. Shef Utd did well their first season but again, not as strong a side I don't think.

I think it could be really tough next season. 

• Like 1