8 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

How can Norwich budget for next season if we don’t know if Sky will ask for a partial refund on the TV money if the SL goes through? 

I can't imagine they'll get a refund, the deal for the season is already agreed and the SL has nothing to do with what Sky are paying to cover

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

I can't imagine they'll get a refund, the deal for the season is already agreed and the SL has nothing to do with what Sky are paying to cover

If the big 6 leave next season Sky will definitely  want a refund. 

This actually puts us at a massive advantage over many of the other clubs. We have a significantly lower level of committed spending so we're far better placed to adapt than those who have enormous wage bills. It makes our approach seem even more sensible.

• Like 3

At least we don't have a big rebuild to do and our best players are on long deals. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to go with what we have into a weakened prem.

The Super League won’t happen. With nearly everyone across sport and politics united in their condemnation, and world and European regulatory bodies against it – it won’t happen. The other interesting thing is banning any player or coach from international involvement should they be involved. The regulatory bodies also ratify contracts, so should these clubs be expelled from the league, it will effectively give players an options of being made free agents (as part of employment law). Not to mention the issue with coaching licenses being revoked. 

On the other topic... I think the board learnt the lesson last time of zero spend problems. I think we’ll be more daring this time around, without putting ourselves at high risk.

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Any refund sought by SKY will be against the Big 6, not the league itself. I doubt it will get to that, but the whole ESL will have made planning for next season much harder.

The remaining clubs will be less attractive so Sky would want a refund to compensate.

4 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

If the big 6 leave next season Sky will definitely  want a refund. 

Then it should be the big 6 that they seek a refund from for breaking their contractual obligations.

They won't, because sky will likely want to be in on the TV rights.

As for the budget, I believe it has been said that we will have more money available than any previous window. Now I am not sure if that means both summer AND January windows or just summer windows.

Either way, I think I am right in saying that Hughton had the biggest spend in a summer window and Neil had the biggest spend in a January.

Hughton summer window before 2013-14:
RVW - £8.5mil (I think it was less than this in reality though as I think this was in total including add-ons).
Hooper - £5mil
Fer - £4.4mil
Garrido - Rumoured £2mil
Redmond - £2.5mil-ish
Olsson - £2.5mil-ish
Prices can be hard to establish in some cases. Either way, you are looking at around £20mil.

Neil January window 2016 during 2015-16 season:
Klose - £7.5mil
Naismith - £7.5mil
Jarvis - £2.5mil
Pinto - £2.2mil
Godfrey - £2.3mil
Maddison - £3mil-ish
As with the above, hard to be 100% certain and we're not looking at net spend either. A rough total of around £25mil. Grabban was sold for £8million this window as well.

Net spend wise, Hughton sold Vaughan, Holt, Barnett, Butterfield and Steer. I think we got around £1mil per player apart from Steer who was £450k. So conservatively £4mil for a rough net spend of that season of around £16mil.

Alex Neil sold Grabban for £8mil and Johnson for £7mil and then E.Bennett £1mil and Hooper £3mil. However, in the summer he also signed Brady for £7mil and Dorrans for £3mil. A net spend of around £15mil.

So my bet is it'll be around £20mil before any sales occur at a rough guess. Personally, I think we may see one of our top players sold to help provide funds to improve the squad as a whole. Sad as though it may be. Selling a player for around £30mil or more would provide funds, if spent as well as we have seen for the majority of our signings under Webber, is quite a war chest to go out and sign some players to improve us across the side.

Edited by chicken