Pearson instigated what followed. He slid in with a rash challenge, which basically meant that Giannoulis had no where to go other than stand on him. There was no intent, and that is what used to be a measure of how good a Ref was, the ability to recognise intent. Experience, being in a good position to see things and ability to read the game should have led to both players getting a yellow, and in all honesty he could have given the free kick either way, depending on his interpretation.

2 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Ridiculous red card. As I see it Pearson put his leg under Dimi's foot.

Absolutely, he was off his feet and out of control.  If he had gone in head first, you would not send off the player using his feet, as his head should not have been there, totally different if it was vindictive kick.  It would a great example if the review did reverse the decision.  I am not bothered about the suspension, it is the principle.  If you get someone sent off by recklessly diving in what is the message, essentially every player should throw themselves to the floor dangerously and roll around.

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks guys, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. The club must have thought there is a sensible basis to argue it’s not a red based on the replays. Also I think it’s a good idea to lay down a marker for next season that we won’t just accept decisions like this without doing what we can to fight them.

I agree - these decisions must be contested otherwise things are never going to change and we’ll always be viewed as a soft touch by referees. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ said:

It can get rescinded but he'll miss a game whilst the appeal is in limbo as the Watford game comes too soon

If we were a big name premiership team it could have been reviewed in 24 hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

If we were a big name premiership team it could have been reviewed in 24 hours.

If we were a big name premiership team, it wouldn’t need to be reviewed as the ref wouldn’t have sent him off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1