I'm genuinely surprised. It's definitely polarising but there doesn't seem to be much hope. I'll eat Paddy Ashdown's hat if it's overturned.

Could use Diallo's yellow card for Southampton yesterday in the semi final as a yardstick. Much the same but punished with only a yellow. And therein lies the problem, complete inconsistency when it comes to reffing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Could use Diallo's yellow card for Southampton yesterday in the semi final as a yardstick. Much the same but punished with only a yellow. And therein lies the problem, complete inconsistency when it comes to reffing 

As said before - Graham Scott has ref’d 10 championship games this year , and that’s his only red card . Therefore it’s the worst tackle he has seen in the division . 

No chance . The heat of the moment and the reaction from their 22 made the difference. 

Not at all surprised and fully expect the red to be overturned. Ref made an error and that can now be corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Ridiculous red card. As I see it Pearson put his leg under Dimi's foot.

If I remember right Pearson (Being the dirty **** he is well known for being) slid in first, with Dimi trying to get the ball and then attempting to move his legs away from Pearson

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Or possibly extended? Isn’t there a rule that if you lose an appeal it can be increased ? 

I know there used to be if the appeal was regarded as frivolous, but haven't heard that happen for many years.

There's no possibility of the suspension being reduced though. It's three games and that's fixed.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The three-match ban might get reduced.

That's the outcome I can see, it's a debatable decision but one of those that is a red because the ref deemed it as a red.  VAR etc wouldn't have overturned it.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know there used to be if the appeal was regarded as frivolous, but haven't heard that happen for many years.

There's no possibility of the suspension being reduced though. It's three games and that's fixed.

I'm fairly sure it can be reduced if they categorise it as a different offence.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Be good if they reversed it and decided instead to give it to Pearson for diving in......

Don't think that can happen sadly

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They can't. It's a one-game ban for second bookable offence or a professional foul, but a dangerous tackle is three.

It can get rescinded but he'll miss a game whilst the appeal is in limbo as the Watford game comes too soon

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

100% Never a red, but will never get overturned either. 

Exactly my thoughts, unfortunately they won't overturn the ref's on field decision as whatever way you look at it he stamped on his leg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

100% Never a red, but will never get overturned either. 

Yup - my thoughts entirely.  It won’t be overturned as it admits a crucial match-determining error by the ref, there is little doubt it affected the outcome of the game. 

26 minutes ago, AJ said:

Exactly my thoughts, unfortunately they won't overturn the ref's on field decision as whatever way you look at it he stamped on his leg

Nope, sorry.

It very clearly wasn't a stamp. The fact that Pearson actually makes contact with him first even backs that up.

One of the most bonkers red cards I have ever seen. I simply cannot recall a red card being given to a player who is upright when the player who is tackling him is horizontal, coming in at pace, recklessly, two footed and studs first and off the ground.

I know people say that Giannoulis jumped 'in', but he didn't. Sometimes to respond players reset their feet. Only one of his feet was involved in the tackle. I think he thought he was going to control the ball before Pearson had committed.

It's a strange sort of 50-50 where the full blooded dangerous tackle somehow got away without a card. If Giannoulis had that foot down before Pearson gets there he would be lucky to be playing football again this side of Christmas. You are looking at the full force of an athlete going through Giannoulis' lower leg. You are looking at a broken leg if not a broken ankle and ligament damage.

Giannoulis had nowhere to put his foot and didn't appear to even apply downward pressure as Pearson came in, and rather looked like he was trying to get his foot away, but still managed to catch him on the follow through. And the follow through appears to be what he was given the card for, as that is the point he made contact with Pearson.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yup - my thoughts entirely.  It won’t be overturned as it admits a crucial match-determining error by the ref, there is little doubt it affected the outcome of the game. 

This. Because Refs are too often seen as infallible. What's more, and I don't want to talk it up, but there is more than a match that could be determined by it yet.

41 minutes ago, chicken said:

Nope, sorry.

It very clearly wasn't a stamp. The fact that Pearson actually makes contact with him first even backs that up.

One of the most bonkers red cards I have ever seen. I simply cannot recall a red card being given to a player who is upright when the player who is tackling him is horizontal, coming in at pace, recklessly, two footed and studs first and off the ground.

I know people say that Giannoulis jumped 'in', but he didn't. Sometimes to respond players reset their feet. Only one of his feet was involved in the tackle. I think he thought he was going to control the ball before Pearson had committed.

It's a strange sort of 50-50 where the full blooded dangerous tackle somehow got away without a card. If Giannoulis had that foot down before Pearson gets there he would be lucky to be playing football again this side of Christmas. You are looking at the full force of an athlete going through Giannoulis' lower leg. You are looking at a broken leg if not a broken ankle and ligament damage.

Giannoulis had nowhere to put his foot and didn't appear to even apply downward pressure as Pearson came in, and rather looked like he was trying to get his foot away, but still managed to catch him on the follow through. And the follow through appears to be what he was given the card for, as that is the point he made contact with Pearson.

I'm not suggesting Dimi intended to do it, clearly he didn't, so I don't completely disagree with what you're saying. I'm just saying I highly doubt it will be overturned, purely because Dimi's studs make contact with Pearson's leg/knee/thigh, the lack of intent probably isn't enough to save Dimi in this scenario.

You're right though, it is a bonkers red card because the ref must have thought he saw something he didn't, but I think it unfortunately comes from Dimi's prancing leg prior to the tackle. There were a number of similar incidents this weekend, I think I saw 3 others. 2 of them neither player got punished, and 1 the player who made the lunge got booked (Brewster in Pearson's position). Sadly Dimi could possibly have got himself out of trouble had he also rolled around in 'agony' on the floor. The refs often seem to make decisions based on the reactions of players, and Pearson played it by the book. The oscars are calling... 

• Like 1

I would be shocked if this is over turned. Dimi was extremely unlucky and only made contact because Pearson lunged in out of control, but you can manipulate the footage from a certain point to show that after he flew into the tackle Dimi didn't dive out of the way in the literal quarter of a second he had to react instead of trying to jump over their player so because it could be argued he made the wrong choice they will stick by their high profile referee. It is however an absolute disgrace because the incident was initiated by Pearson and was sold on his play acting afterwards and is unfortunately just a small taste of things to come next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Can anyone remember which game it was when a player of ours was sent off for making a similar challenge to Pearson’s?

I can think of a number, including Drmic at the end of last season... 

"There were a number of similar incidents this weekend, I think I saw 3 others. 2 of them neither player got punished, and 1 the player who made the lunge got booked (Brewster in Pearson's position)."

Pogba with a careless, but uninteded, tackle yesterday. Went without card.

Who does he play for? Remind me. 

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I would be shocked if this is over turned. Dimi was extremely unlucky and only made contact because Pearson lunged in out of control, but you can manipulate the footage from a certain point to show that after he flew into the tackle Dimi didn't dive out of the way in the literal quarter of a second he had to react instead of trying to jump over their player so because it could be argued he made the wrong choice they will stick by their high profile referee. It is however an absolute disgrace because the incident was initiated by Pearson and was sold on his play acting afterwards and is unfortunately just a small taste of things to come next year.

Yup, honestly, in the replays I have seen, Pearson actually makes the initial contact on Giannoulis with his studs to the side of Dimi's left boot. But because his foot isn't planted, it gets knocked up and then back down.

Thanks guys, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. The club must have thought there is a sensible basis to argue it’s not a red based on the replays. Also I think it’s a good idea to lay down a marker for next season that we won’t just accept decisions like this without doing what we can to fight them.

• Like 2