Sign in to follow this  
pete

Promotion ensured get the contracts out

Unlike after the last promotion when contracts were handed out.  This time we ought to incentivize stating in the PL with addenda to current contracts with survival bonuses as long as the players contracted until 2023.  If not get them signed to long contracts on current terms with the promise of PL football.

However we ought to give new contracts on improved terms specifically to EMi, Todd and Max.  Emi and Max for their loyalty and for providing the basis for this promotion as I don't see their suitors willing to pay our transfer fees.  Todd because he could move for nothing next Summer and the club will miss out on millions after a season of PL whether stay up or go down. 

19 minutes ago, pete said:

Unlike after the last promotion when contracts were handed out.  This time we ought to incentivize stating in the PL with addenda to current contracts with survival bonuses as long as the players contracted until 2023.  If not get them signed to long contracts on current terms with the promise of PL football.

However we ought to give new contracts on improved terms specifically to EMi, Todd and Max.  Emi and Max for their loyalty and for providing the basis for this promotion as I don't see their suitors willing to pay our transfer fees.  Todd because he could move for nothing next Summer and the club will miss out on millions after a season of PL whether stay up or go down. 

Great stuff Pete. If only Webber had any idea , he could be doing that as we speak . Let’s hope he reads this forum. 

I don't think what remains of the crown jewels would be interested in extending contracts until they know if any clubs are interested in them over the summer.  Can't see Emi signing for example if it's true that clubs around Europe really want him.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

I don't think what remains of the crown jewels would be interested in extending contracts until they know if any clubs are interested in them over the summer.  Can't see Emi signing for example if it's true that clubs around Europe really want him.

Contracts do nothing to stop transfers happening, all it does is increase the amount a player is earning and means Norwich can ask for a higher fee. So it's a win/win as the player gets a better deal and the club gets a better deal. They'll sign new contracts if they are on the table, even if they do end up leaving next summer

Yes, I can’t see Todd extending his contract, he’ll be free to talk with a number of clubs next year, Buendia & Aarons will probably be gone by the time we kick off the new premiership. Both been head and shoulders the best in the championship in their positions.

Going to be a pivotal year as both Webber & Farke in their final year too, could be very interesting in grand scheme of Norwich City’s contracts across the board.

21 minutes ago, AJ said:

Contracts do nothing to stop transfers happening, all it does is increase the amount a player is earning and means Norwich can ask for a higher fee. So it's a win/win as the player gets a better deal and the club gets a better deal. They'll sign new contracts if they are on the table, even if they do end up leaving next summer

A longer contract is beneficial to the club because it increases the price somewhat but that makes it harder for the player to get the move they want sometimes although not impossible. Zaha was priced out of a deal because he'd recently signed a long term contract which meant Palace could hold out. You could be right but I'd be very surprised to see Emi, Todd and Max sign new deals before the window closes unless some sort minimum transfer fee is in it.

Edited by seanthecanary

2 hours ago, pete said:

There is an option in Norwich's favour to extend Todd's contract by a year so he effectively has two years remaining on his contract. 

I'm sure the club would love to give new contracts to Emi and Max, whether Emi and Max would sign anything is a very different issue. All the players will have bonuses based on league performances in their contracts - they will all be getting substantial pay rises from the 1st July automatically (as they all suffered substantial pay decreases after relegation).

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is an option in Norwich's favour to extend Todd's contract by a year so he effectively has two years remaining on his contract. 

I'm sure the club would love to give new contracts to Emi and Max, whether Emi and Max would sign anything is a very different issue. All the players will have bonuses based on league performances in their contracts - they will all be getting substantial pay rises from the 1st July automatically (as they all suffered substantial pay decreases after relegation).

Are you sure on that? I've not seen it reported elsewhere but it would explain the lack of coverage of a young English player reaching his final year. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Are you sure on that? I've not seen it reported elsewhere but it would explain the lack of coverage of a young English player reaching his final year. 

Michael Bailey has said it a number of times - he is usually very accurate.

It's mentioned in this Athletic article - https://theathletic.com/1895709/

That’s good to know, there has been talk about Todd’s contract on here but never been clear about the options on another year. Thanks Beth.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

It's not really a win/win though...

If a player is genuinely interested in getting a move to a club with, lets say, arguably greater ambitions and playing in the Champions League or threatening to do so, signing a contract makes them a much less attractive prospect.

Being in the last year of your contract means your value isn't so great and potentially a lot more suitors could be found. If you are in the first year of a 4 or 5 year contract, a lot of clubs will be put off by the asking price and potentially you could have to wait for two to three seasons for someone to meet the value you then demand on the market.

So it all very much depends upon a players mindset and the advice their agent is giving them.

of course, there could also be a release clause put in place. But that undermines the reason for handing out a long contract with the idea of increasing player value. It's a sort of compromise. You set the bar and then the player can go for that fee. Which is a risk, as whilst no takers may step forward at first, a successful season could see their value double but as the release clause is, say, £30mil, that's all you could land for them.

As it is, I very much doubt all of Buendia, Cantwell and Aarons will be with us come the start of next season... as things stand. I think we are most likely to lose Aarons - which may come as a surprise to some, but he was clearly capable last time out in the premier league. I also think if you were to ask Norwich fans which they feel they could deal with losing the most, and we could get £30mil in return for, it would probably be Aarons.

Not because he is not one of our best players, but because Buendia is almost irreplaceable at this point. Some might argue Cantwell is more disposable, but if he has a season like last time his goals will help keep us up.

We have a good understudy for Aarons in Mumba and a new right back is going to cost less than trying to find a like for like replacement for Buendia or Cantwell who can hit the ground running and provide what we need to stay up.