Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Oliver Skip

7 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Unlikely if they need to take part in the super league and the premier league.

Well that seems very unlikely.

Now Mourinho's gone I actually think Skipp has a greater chance of playing for Spurs next season. I know he was the one who intended to keep Skipp but his "You don't win anything with kids" theory gave me big doubts on Skipp getting much game time for them next season. I only follow us and so don't know much about Spurs' needs to keep Skipp but from the threads I've read on here about signing him on loan again next season, I think Spurs do need him - unsure

Depends on the new coach.

Foreign coach brings in players from his home country even though they are no better than what is already there.

Its like England. Some really top class players, particularly in attack, but they are coached wrong.

But if they get another Pocchetino type, they could well see the brilliance of Ollie and take him back.

Of course, Spurs could sell him for big money to another EPL team.

We can hope. Would love for him to have at least one more year with us. 

But I would be very surprised if he's not at least regularly being used off the bench for spurs next season. 

You'd expect Jose being sacked probably helps his chances depending on who comes next.

What I think it certainly means is we're probably going to have to wait well until preseason before we know either way as the new manager will surely want a look at him. So we could wait and hope to get him but it may be a risk if we get told no in mid August and have to scramble for other targets.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

You'd expect Jose being sacked probably helps his chances depending on who comes next.

What I think it certainly means is we're probably going to have to wait well until preseason before we know either way as the new manager will surely want a look at him. So we could wait and hope to get him but it may be a risk if we get told no in mid August and have to scramble for other targets.

Agreed.  I think we stood more chance of getting Skipp back next season with Mourinho as Spurs manager.  He's not exactly well known for bringing through youngsters who are not yet established in their respective first teams.  He's judged three now world class players to not be worth keeping at Chelsea.  A new manager will want to at least have a good look at Skipp before deciding whether to give him another season on loan and as you said, it's a big risk to employ a wait and see policy.  We are in an enviable position that we've been promoted early which means we know what division we are "shopping" for.  These extra weeks shouldn't be wasted when we could be getting the squad settled early and players bedded in for next season.

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

If Spurs are to be broadly competitive in any Super League they will have to spend millions. I think it's more likely Skipp will be sold if offers come in. 

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Spurs are to be broadly competitive in any Super League they will have to spend millions. I think it's more likely Skipp will be sold if offers come in. 

Yes but they have less certainty than us about what's needed coming up - if they really do a runner they will likely need a smaller higher quality squad and will have to move other players on in a hurry or risk being saddled with an unwieldy unhappy bunch, maybes after possible transfer sanctions kick in, so they really can't hang around, they will simply have to do their deals quickly. So ridiculously there could be a few fire sales among The Big Sh*ts who will also have to fund their Super membership fees and crazily  we may actually be able to buy him if we play hardball. Circumstances lead to such weirdness in football, remember, at a lesser level, we picked up Bali Mumba on a free because of the Makem meltdown at the time. No way would Lee Johnson have allowed that possibility to arise if he'd been around before that situation arose, we may have still got him but a realistic fee would have been needed (btw can't wait for him to show what he can do).

1 minute ago, crispeduk said:

Yes but they have less certainty than us about what's needed coming up - if they really do a runner they will likely need a smaller higher quality squad and will have to move other players on in a hurry or risk being saddled with an unwieldy unhappy bunch, maybes after possible transfer sanctions kick in, so they really can't hang around, they will simply have to do their deals quickly. So ridiculously there could be a few fire sales among The Big Sh*ts who will also have to fund their Super membership fees and crazily  we may actually be able to buy him if we play hardball. Circumstances lead to such weirdness in football, remember, at a lesser level, we picked up Bali Mumba on a free because of the Makem meltdown at the time. No way would Lee Johnson have allowed that possibility to arise if he'd been around before that situation arose, we may have still got him but a realistic fee would have been needed (btw can't wait for him to show what he can do).

I don't think we should rule ouy buying him Crispy. Would be money very well spent in my view.

• Like 1

I think it might help us in keeping Skipp.

If Spurs get in a non-uk based manager are they really going to want a young player with no premier league experience to be one of their key midfielders?

We knew Mourinho liked Skipp and would've been monitoring him here. Even if others at the club 'big him up' to the new manager it would be a big risk for the new guy to use him in his first season in the job.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Well that seems very unlikely.

Early days and the ESL lawyers are ready to take legal action to ensure UEFA/FIFA cannot punish them and their players. It's their intention to play in their domestic leagues so with the Euros to happen, possible legal actions and a new manager needing that assesment period it's not unforgiven for thinking he might not be loaned out.

Interesting comments from Farke today regarding Skipp.. Not getting my hopes up but does it sound like Spurs want him to be tested in the Prem with us before they take him back?

'You have to prove in each and every league that you are ready. Just because you are a top championship player doesn’t mean you are a top Premier League player. He (Oliver Skipp) has proved he is an outstanding Championship player, he has to prove he is outstanding at a Premier League level. If you are talking about potential, I think he can be an outstanding Premier League player but he has to prove it. '

4 hours ago, crispeduk said:

Two p's. (Two ps)

Sorry, couldn't resist

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I wrote it. Somehow "Two ps" just looks a bit wrong. Probably because when I see 'ps' I think of what you write when you have an afterthought after writing a letter (or more likely an email these days). 

I have an ex work colleague and friend who lives in Waltham Abbey (Essex)

He plays golf with Skipps Grandfather.

Says that although Skipp has loved his time here he is expecting not to be here next season.

The whole family are life long Spurs supporters (although they might not be for much longer if the ESL comes to fruition)

I doubt Jose's leaving would have made a massive difference. if the intention is to loan him out again then we're in with a shout, if it's to integrate him into the playing squad then we aren't. 

Edited by AJ

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I wrote it. Somehow "Two ps" just looks a bit wrong. Probably because when I see 'ps' I think of what you write when you have an afterthought after writing a letter (or more likely an email these days). 

You mean p.s. (😁)