Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

Anyone in need of an emetic, just watch the following piece of hypocritical, lying, PR tosh:

32 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Juventus owner has just come out and said the Super League will 100% still go ahead, OK fella enjoy your 38 games v Real Madrid a season 😂

He's the guy who daughter has the UEFA president for a godfather right? He's thrown away more than just professional relationships on this project.

Anecdotally, Man City and Chelsea were only told of the plans at the last minute and advised "you're either in or you're out", and given the clubs already involved they jumped in more in fear of behind left on the platform while the money train pulled out. I don't believe they really understood what they were signing up to as fully as the others, and were the most vulnerable as a result to the backlash. That doesn't excuse them, not at all, as they've still thrown the other 14 EPL clubs under the bus for their own sakes, but I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs. Spurs should get a bigger punishment simply for pure cheek!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He's the guy who daughter has the UEFA president for a godfather right? He's thrown away more than just professional relationships on this project.

Anecdotally, Man City and Chelsea were only told of the plans at the last minute and advised "you're either in or you're out", and given the clubs already involved they jumped in more in fear of behind left on the platform while the money train pulled out. I don't believe they really understood what they were signing up to as fully as the others, and were the most vulnerable as a result to the backlash. That doesn't excuse them, not at all, as they've still thrown the other 14 EPL clubs under the bus for their own sakes, but I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs. Spurs should get a bigger punishment simply for pure cheek!

Arsenal and Spurs are also claiming this - I think it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt as they all signed a contract that was around 140 pages long. You don't do that on a whim.

Man City and Chelsea always had the littlest to gain from it though as they aren't clubs run with the intention of making a profit for their owners. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I see he's already changed his tune now 😂

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Arsenal and Spurs are also claiming this - I think it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt as they all signed a contract that was around 140 pages long. You don't do that on a whim.

Man City and Chelsea always had the littlest to gain from it though as they aren't clubs run with the intention of making a profit for their owners. 

Exactly.

Short notice, bounced ! Nonsense.

They must be even more badly run than I thought. Nobody in business signs such a contract without a lot of thought and if you need more time you just say so or refuse. An ESL without Man City or Chelsea - no.

All guilty as charged. They were to a club more interested in playing the stock market than playing football. Naughty step I'm afraid.

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Anyone in need of an emetic, just watch the following piece of hypocritical, lying, PR tosh:

Seems Liverpool fans are not in the market for crocodile tears. Pisspoor effort at an apology from a pisspoor apology for a man: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/liverpool-director-backed-trump-in-us-election-as-john-w-henry-s-fsg-signed-away-millions/ar-BB1fSNGa?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by horsefly

On 20/04/2021 at 10:02, nutty nigel said:

Well they could but do these owners really care where they play. Many don't live in this country. Some probably don't even understand the game. It beggars belief how people seemed to think they really cared about this country, their City or it's "legacy fans". I guess if folk are sooo keen to call other people's money their own they'll believe anything.

Obviously this is all a little moot now as the thing is dead in the water, but in fact the UK Government could easily have caused massive issues with the ESL. Whether refusal to grant licenses could be overturned in Court, the government could refuse european clubs entry into the UK. They could have introduced an enormous tax programme affecting the ESL. 

And even if it was ruled that players could not technically be banned from World Cups, countries to simply instruct their national team coaches not to select any ESL players. 

How would these owners fare on Dragons Den. explaining we have 12 football clubs. We know nothing about football, we have money in millions chucked at us. we owners are all billionaires, but our clubs are in debt by billions. we would like your millions to pay more players and agents. we'll pay ourselves more obviously. and your money would help us increase our debts. are you in or out ? 

I will now be interested if any punishment is dished out to these clubs. I heard pundits on Sky saying last night that it wouldn’t be fair to punish fans, players and staff for the owners discretion. I understand it to some degree but Wigan’s fans, players and staff got punished with a points deduction that ultimately relegated  them last season because of an owners failings.

1 hour ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Obviously this is all a little moot now as the thing is dead in the water, but in fact the UK Government could easily have caused massive issues with the ESL. Whether refusal to grant licenses could be overturned in Court, the government could refuse european clubs entry into the UK. They could have introduced an enormous tax programme affecting the ESL. 

And even if it was ruled that players could not technically be banned from World Cups, countries to simply instruct their national team coaches not to select any ESL players. 

I expect sooner or later we'll get the chance to find out.

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Exactly.

Short notice, bounced ! Nonsense.

They must be even more badly run than I thought. Nobody in business signs such a contract without a lot of thought and if you need more time you just say so or refuse. An ESL without Man City or Chelsea - no.

All guilty as charged. They were to a club more interested in playing the stock market than playing football. Naughty step I'm afraid.

Spot on buddy.

If what they now claim is true surely they'd fail any fit and proper owner test.

34 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I will now be interested if any punishment is dished out to these clubs. I heard pundits on Sky saying last night that it wouldn’t be fair to punish fans, players and staff for the owners discretion. I understand it to some degree but Wigan’s fans, players and staff got punished with a points deduction that ultimately relegated  them last season because of an owners failings.

I bet they get away with it. Next EPL meeting, they will still be throwing their weight about.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I bet they get away with it. Next EPL meeting, they will still be throwing their weight about.

Probably yeah. What I don’t get is that the 12 clubs involved already have the deck stacked in their favour financially and it’s still not enough. The 3 Spanish clubs in particular. Barca and the two Madrid clubs get 70% of all La Liga tv revenue and it’s still not enough. I would sooner leave a fox in charge of a chicken coup than let Perez control our clubs finances.

Although they get the lions share of the revenues, many are also heavily in debt.

Sounds like an expenditure cap is required to protect us from them and them from themselves, they are obviously working on the theory of "too big to fail"

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

In order to maximise the punishment against the owners but minimise the punishment towards the fans (who should rewarded to be honest, because the strength of the protests by the fans of these clubs in particular against their own club was arguably the driving force) the best punishment would be massive, massive fines. Hit these owners in their pockets as hard as possible because that is blatantly all they care about.

1 hour ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Also, now the UK is out of the EU, they could conceivably have denied work permits to any non-British players for ESL clubs, citing that the competition they play in is not officially recognised by any of the UK's sporting bodies.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agnelli is a **** and always has been. Just looking for excuses now.

It made me giggle. I expect any excuse will do in the circumstances.

So if they all signed the contract, where does that leave them? Surely to withdraw they would be in breach of the ESL agreements? 
Personally I hope that the governing bodies give all six a hefty points deduction in their own leagues and suspend them from Europe for three years as punishment.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Spot on buddy.

If what they now claim is true surely they'd fail any fit and proper owner test.

This is part of the problem, the fit and proper test isn’t really a test and is far too easy to be accepted 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

So if they all signed the contract, where does that leave them? Surely to withdraw they would be in breach of the ESL agreements? 
Personally I hope that the governing bodies give all six a hefty points deduction in their own leagues and suspend them from Europe for three years as punishment.

I think a European ban is a good idea. It isn't hurting the fans and may get the clubs to treat domestic tournaments more seriously.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Although they get the lions share of the revenues, many are also heavily in debt.

Sounds like an expenditure cap is required to protect us from them and them from themselves, they are obviously working on the theory of "too big to fail"

Yes - A transfer ban next season. Would help to reduce player inflation for all and of curse help the to reduce their own debts 😉

Live within their means!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think a European ban is a good idea. It isn't hurting the fans and may get the clubs to treat domestic tournaments more seriously.

Pigs might fly.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Saved by Boris😀

image.png.e76d2fccb494839094aae47ac4e7e0ce.png

An Italian football magnate complaining about political interference in sport is on a par with Capitaine Renault being shocked to discover there is gambling at Rick's...😎

• Like 1

So although the 6 have withdrawn  form the Super League, presumably they have to re apply again to join the ECA and hence Uefa, etc?...if so, begs the question...for  newly registered clubs again into the ECA etc, surely its crazy to  just allow them to waltz straight back into their EPL positions as if nothing at all had ever happened?

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

This is part of the problem, the fit and proper test isn’t really a test and is far too easy to be accepted 

Integrity of the people in charge of clubs doesn’t seem an issue when  the clubs are winning trophies . I have to smile at the Chelski supporters group calling for the head of Bruce Buck but not calling for Abramovich  to go. I wonder why that is ? 💰💵💷