Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

This will go down as the biggest blunder in history.

ESL is the new yardstick to which every decisionmaking error in business/sports will be compared to for the next 1000 years.

Now strip these clubs of their points and relegate them to L1 or Champs depending on how quickly they recant.

And cap those damn wages and transfer fees while you're at it.

I'd like to know eventually where the idea for this came from.

My suspicion is that it was the spendthrift deep in debt clubs that saw this as a quick fix abetted or egged on by the get rich quick at the bank.

Heads should now roll.

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Or it's just the opening skirmishes.

I don't think so, nutty. This is too much of a farce to be carried on. Which is not to say the idea, or something like it, won't be resurrected after a decent interval. I also suspect those who hope this will lead to some clearing out of the money-men  from the temple of football are going to be disappointed. There will be promises of change but little real action.

I don't want any of them back. I was looking forward to a Premier League without any of the "Big 6" to be honest.

Bit disappointed now.

Edited by Paint Me Yellow
  • Like 4

Amazing how quickly it colapsed once the dam broke.

The fourteen need to rub it in with some sanctions now and refuse to budge any further when they start their money grabbing tricks again. They have shown their hand but we now know its an empty threat because they aren't going to walk away.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Amazing how quickly it colapsed once the dam broke.

The fourteen need to rub it in with some sanctions now and refuse to budge any further when they start their money grabbing tricks again. They have shown their hand but we now know its an empty threat because they aren't going to walk away.

Yes. I might suggest a transfer embargo for a season or two to help them with their finances

• Haha 1

I think the PL should come down hard on the 'big six'. 

I proposed a points deduction of 40 points for each of them at the start of the season. This will have two positive effects....

1. It will give us a decent chance of avoiding relegation
  2. It will teach their money-grabbing owners the joy of competing for reward

Anyone got the PL chairman's phone number? 😄

I think this table shows the real reason behind the ESL plans.

Presumably there were no accurate figures for Liverpool because they were still waiting for their Giro.

_118121615_thumbnail_football_debt-nc.thumb.png.0778205fbc3aa6d95e6a603b3ca9aa03.png

1 minute ago, Sooty57 said:

Presumably there were no accurate figures for Liverpool because they were still waiting for their Giro.

_118121615_thumbnail_football_debt-nc.thumb.png.0778205fbc3aa6d95e6a603b3ca9aa03.png

But strange that the two UK clubs with owners who could write off debt were the first to bottle it.

It was not necessarily the present debt that bothers them but being in the ESL guaranteed them a definite income.

3 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

And it also shows why Man City and Chelsea were the likeliest to find a conscience, ho ho, and pull out.

Can't we tell Man City and Chelsea they've already made their beds and may as well lay in them now?

Really don't want their back-tracking to be seen as some kind of victory for football.

Them leaving was a great chance for the rest of English football to make some changes.

Now it'll be back to the same old "top 6" $h!te in the Premier League once the rest of those other bastards return.

I was hugely in favour of the ESL as long as we weren't in it.

Edited by Paint Me Yellow

It’s dead in the water . 

Florentino Perez and Real’s €900m debt might have had something to do with the original idea. Why on earth Ibramovich or Sheikh Mansour felt the need to get involved is a mystery - it’s not as if either need the cash? 

11 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Can't we force Arsenal and Spurs to stay in? 😛

Even if they were the only two teams in the League they'd still both manage to come second. 

Sky are reading out the statements from Liverpool/Man United/Spurs/Arsenal and they all sound like they've been generated by a computer.

AC Milan are out. General googling say maybe Barcelona + Althetico

Edited by KiwiScot

What annoys me is this will all be brushed under the carpet - the "big 6" will be welcomed back with open arms (ok, they never actually left but all 6 were fully happy to go ahead with this new league) and it will all be forgotten! That's my concern. I feel there needs to be sanctions against all 6 of them, because they've shown their true colours here - and no financial punishment will work because they are all already minted. Transfer bans and/or points deductions should be handed out to the lot of them.

Another thing that winds me up is how everyone connected to football has condemned this, but why have these same people not been condemning the way the Premier League and football has been for the last 10-15 years, if not longer? The way things are isn't so different: It's already all about money as we know, and it's already like a closed shop as it is. Big clubs paying massive transfer fees and massive wages, leaving very little for the rest of us. The top 4 sewn up before every season has started for f**k knows how long (with few exceptions) and I've got to say from a personal viewpoint, as much as I love Norwich getting to the Prem, it always leaves me feeling a bit empty because I realise what the objective would be, and that's pretty much the same for those other 14 outside the "big 6"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Honestly, they were probably expecting the FIFA/UEFA backlash and probably a bit of fan backlash. I honestly don't think they were expecting governments to weigh in so strongly, I think they totally underestimated the affront to our merit-based sporting history that they'd caused.

Agree with this. In the normal course of events it's unlikely that the Government would have got involved. But the sleeze allegations over the last couple of weeks have left the Government looking for a diversion. That really couldn't have been anticipated.

Anyone who thinks that the Government could really care less about football is living in a dream world. They like the PAYE and VAT it brings in but that's about it.

Should do a rangers to all 6 of them and chuck them down to the lowest league in the pyramid and make them all work their way back up abiding by ffp rules too.

5 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

What annoys me is this will all be brushed under the carpet - the "big 6" will be welcomed back with open arms (ok, they never actually left but all 6 were fully happy to go ahead with this new league) and it will all be forgotten! That's my concern. I feel there needs to be sanctions against all 6 of them, because they've shown their true colours here - and no financial punishment will work because they are all already minted. Transfer bans and/or points deductions should be handed out to the lot of them.

Another thing that winds me up is how everyone connected to football has condemned this, but why have these same people not been condemning the way the Premier League and football has been for the last 10-15 years, if not longer? The way things are isn't so different: It's already all about money as we know, and it's already like a closed shop as it is. Big clubs paying massive transfer fees and massive wages, leaving very little for the rest of us. The top 4 sewn up before every season has started for f**k knows how long (with few exceptions) and I've got to say from a personal viewpoint, as much as I love Norwich getting to the Prem, it always leaves me feeling a bit empty because I realise what the objective would be, and that's pretty much the same for those other 14 outside the "big 6"

Exactly this. I actually posted something similar on my Facebook. Listening to talk sport the other day was sickening. The same people who condemn clubs like ours for being self funded and not jumping into debt to spend hundreds of millions just to play along side their media darlings, are now condemning those same darlings for having the billionaire owners, when these so called experts haven't ever looked twice at the money before now. 

Having their cake and eating it springs to mind when it comes to the way they are viewing what's happened.  And very frustrating. 

One last thing the line that really got me (can't remember who said it, whoever does drive on TS)  was "if the big 6 get to go to this league and stay in the Premier league, it will just make it a league of haves and have nots" 

Sorry to break it to you matey its already that sort of league. What are they on about! 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

But strange that the two UK clubs with owners who could write off debt were the first to bottle it.

It was not necessarily the present debt that bothers them but being in the ESL guaranteed them a definite income.

I think it is because they could easily afford to. The wealth of the Man City owner and Aronovitch is such that they don't need to make a profit from their ownership. Other owners, are essentially investor owners, who own the clubs to make a profit.

I'm still amazed at how quickly this collapsed.

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In the normal course of events it's unlikely that the Government would have got involved. But the sleeze allegations over the last couple of weeks have left the Government looking for a diversion. That really couldn't have been anticipated.

Exactly. Let's see if they if they intervene in other businesses - my guess is that they will say that it is not their role.

• Thanks 1

All that we have found out, is that 12 of the wealthiest clubs in the World are in debt / skint. Poorly run, by very wealthy owners and very greedy for more money.

They have no loyalty whatsoever with their Fans. This is not the end. 

Probably a smokescreen for the extra 2 places into the Champions League through invite and history

The Greed started years ago with The Prem. unfortunately, we await the next Bury scenario.

Juventus owner has just come out and said the Super League will 100% still go ahead, OK fella enjoy your 38 games v Real Madrid a season 😂