Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

15 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

This was something I was wondering as well. Surely if the current funders of competitions in England get on the side of the government, fans, UEFA etc and refuse to pay the clubs in the ESL any TV rights there won't be any financial loss to the other teams? It would just be the clubs in the ESL suffering from loss of fans, players, and competitions to compete in (if the threats UEFA are making do take place)

It would appear the government if absolutely necessary will change the law to in effect hamstring or force overseas the despicable 6. It will be a career ending professional foul. Boris will take the yellow card for the team.

However, I do believe the EPL / EFL / FA / UEFA have to push the nuclear button now for the sake of the game in Europe. 

Can the 14 left in due course wind up the EPL (Sky etc would I expect be happy to renegotiate a new contract with what emerges) - can the government ban live streaming!

I'm very sure the ESL lawyers have crawled over the legal position before the announcement but there is always a way to derail them.

At the end of the day I expect the lawyers will make millions and the six will go bust. Nobody will cry.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Professional foul
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

14 EPL clubs plus the EPL would be able to afford equally good lawyers. Thay may have found lawyers who have advised them they have an arguable case but there will not be a lawyer out there who will have advised them that they cannot be chucked out of the premier league. at best they will have been advised that there are legal arguments but that its also extremely unlikely for commercial reasons. 

Possibly you are right - we will see if the rebels are kicked out if they don't back down or whether a "compromise is found" which is likely to mean that they will have got a better deal than they have now! 😖

Like the look of the new PL without the "big" six, a much more competitive league and one that we could win 😊

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Like the look of the new PL without the "big" six, a much more competitive league and one that we could win 😊

But probably only  one and tuppence ha'penny each in Sky money.😀

pro-rata for League 1 of course, so they would have to re-issue the farthing.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

That's the ideal. Fans would have to likely accept a dip in quality in exchange forincreased potential excitement. Also you have to hope sensible heads would ensure equitable distribution of whatever monies there are instead of letting clubs like Newcastle, Leicester, Everton and Leeds claim to be bigger than the rest and become a new big 4.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

Possibly you are right - we will see if the rebels are kicked out if they don't back down or whether a "compromise is found" which is likely to mean that they will have got a better deal than they have now! 😖

The big six have already milked extras out of the PL money compared to the other 14. I think the rest now really have to draw a line in the sand now that they have the Government behind them. Boris didn't get an 80 seat majority by not being able to spot a vote winner.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Van wink said:

From The Racing Post

If The ESL clubs are ostracised

This is what should happen and it would be truly beautiful if it did. The rest of the football world is infinitely bigger than 12-15 individual clubs and if they all stood shoulder to shoulder and said they were going to carry on as normal and act like the ESL members no longer existed they would have the collective strength to enjoy a bright future.

Yes, it would seem strange for a while and revenues might be affected in the short term, but new giants and new champions would emerge. The Premier League would be fresh and fascinating, and the stars from the breakaway clubs would soon get sick of playing each other every week in their irrelevant little competition just for the benefit of a far-flung television audience and would rush back to the real world.

The old elite would choke to death on their own greed, and phoenix versions would emerge, run by the fans for the fans. They would enjoy thrilling ascents up the ladder, boosting lower-league crowds along the way and eventually assuming the prestige of their former incarnations if they were sufficiently committed and well funded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Not for me Dylan. I go to support Norwich. Not to watch football and prefer it if my team win. 

No Norwich and I'm done with it.

I do know I'm in the minority but that's me.

Pretty much the same Nutty. Maybe nip over to see Stevenage but I wouldn't have the passion for the team and football would wither away in my affections.

So, apparently, having signed legally binding contracts to the SL (its not the ESL) and already having left the ECA and hence no longer belonging to FIFA, UEFA etc, these 12  clubs will play their virtual closed shop Mickey Mouse league with money coming in mostly from Asia and America. A dream come true here at home to get rid of the big 6 who long ago forgot or could not care about the forming roots of most of these clubs a century or more ago...good riddance. Of course its a wrench for true fans  at home of these clubs, but honestly, theyve had countless years to see this coming.

Yes there is going to be a big mess coming as regards the playing staff of these clubs and likely much court proceedings, but end of the day the beautiful game will survive and hopefully become a better model than what has been this last decade or two. They have virtually expelled themselves from the EPL so, make West Ham the Prem winners and promote the top 6 Champs clubs.

So, Real Madrid alone have lost 400 million thru the global pandemic...my heart bleeds for them...not. The first and only good thing Covid has ever done...forced the hand of these egotistical money mad owners to upstakes and leave the real beautiful game behind...and  just maybe...maybe..force the governing organisations of the game to get back to a more practical level. Our club..always going against the surging tide of foreign owned mega rich oligarchs...thru the happenings of the past 3 or 4 years...are now better placed than ever to ride out this Covid / SL storm and show the rest of this land how it should really be run. Delia and Michael, never caving in, have been the true shining beacons these past 20 years or more..being a fan of our home  club feels even more special right now.

• Like 1

Fair play to these 12 clubs though. It takes something really special to make FIFA and UEFA look like organisations that are worried about football’s best interests 

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Haha 1

Claim to fame. I was on Radio 5 Live this morning at around 9.15 speaking on this subject warning Spurs and Arsenal fans that they will probably never win anything again. Ever.

• Like 1

If the English clubs have signed a 23 year deal, but are prevented by the Government  / legislation from taking part, could the other 6 take action against them for failing to compete in the Super League?

You would think any damages would hit the English clubs hard. 

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Claim to fame. I was on Radio 5 Live this morning at around 9.15 speaking on this subject warning Spurs and Arsenal fans that they will probably never win anything again. Ever.

Nice one......so you are Doris from Dorking😁

(how’s the rash btw?)

Edited by Van wink

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Nice one......so you are Doris from Dorking😁

(how’s the rash btw?)

I put the cream on you suggested and if anything it's worse. I'd swear it was something to do with that woman from Diss

• Haha 1

I'm going to embrace this Americanisation of our game, aka Socccer-ball.

"Tonight I’m hoping my plucky Yellow Fire Birds of Norfolkland can get an ahead point score with manyest goalshots against the Athletico Hertfordshiyre Hornets AFCCC and be crowned MVT victors of the Championship Eastern-side Divisional. We have a depleted offense tri-force but with our Germanian Coach Farke we are the greatest Chest-Kick Strikers and bounce-hitters of the seasonal and the team-play of my Dafabet Franchisers will surely pour boiling water on the Hornets teamers as they do bad soccer. TBF I feel a equalization is happening with even go-for-goals".

A fixture tonight: Accrington Stanley vs Doncaster Rovers. Heart-warming to know it is for the benefit of clubs such as these that Florentino Perez wants a closed-off super league, and not to bail him out for being a totally incompetent businessman.

Strong stories now doing the rounds that Chelsea have pulled out.

If true I'll say something I've never said before in my life - Well done Chelsea!!

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If true I'll say something I've never said before in my life - Well done Chelsea!!

That is the rumour. What a shame. I was looking forward to never seeing them here again

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They and Man City were always the likeliest to pull out.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

They and Man City were always the likeliest to pull out.

If City go as well imagine this is over.

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Boris had a word with his Russian mates😁

13 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

The only thing I'm clear on is that the last thing we need is interference by this or any other government.

I’m not sure. A football regulator, and legal changes to force fan representation at boardroom level have long been called for. If it took this ESL farce to force the government to introduce those changes then it’ll have a positive outcome.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’m not sure. A football regulator, and legal changes to force fan representation at boardroom level have long been called for. If it took this ESL farce to force the government to introduce those changes then it’ll have a positive outcome.

Wishful thinking I'm sorry to say.  The clubs belong to their owners, not to the fans and there's no point pretending otherwise.  Representation on the board, even for the clubs which already choose to have it, is no more than a PR exercise.  Fans do have the power to boycott but it very rarely happens.  

Edited by benchwarmer

15 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Man City and Chelsea pulling out 

It's being said that they were both "under pressure" to join, whatever that means.  What if they ended up as one of the five qualifiers for the ESL, eg. via another European competition?  Would they refuse to take part?  Seems a bit pointless unless enough other clubs follow to strangle it at birth.  Interesting.

ESL is the continuance of the money power grab since EPL and Sky came into being. This needs to be an opportunity to reduce this greed. Everyone is at the trought.

Earlier in this thread there was some huge misinformation and lack of knowledge of German football displayed.

Bayern, Dortmund and even Leipzig were very quick in coming out to say they wouldn't even contemplate such an idea. And there is very good reason for this, with at least 2 of the 3 clubs.

Germany has the 50+1 rule for fan ownership of their clubs. Even if the "owners" wanted to, the fans hold the 51% and they would all be against it. 

Leipzig are slightly different as they have bent the 50+1 rules to suit their desire, eg; making it very difficult to be one of the 51% of fans meaning they can manipulate it a bit. However, because they already have such a hideous reputation, even with their own fans, as well as not having the international standing yet to risk it.