Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Barnsley are now being considered, and welcomed, as one of the top 20 teams in the Country.

I'll leave that here

I think there are all sorts of legal wheezes that could be employed to reform or indeed wind up the current EPL if needed. At a push teams could just forfeit all games against these 6 and make them meaningless

Personally I'd start thinking publicly on replacing these 6 with more from the EFL and possibly Celtic/Rangers too but in that case there must still be promotion/relegation to the Scottish league as well.

With some backbone these overspent bullies will have to reapply in a few years, broken and JPMORGAN will have lost its shirt.

• Like 1

Various people have quoted the Man Utd annual revenue of around £510 million. Made up by the way:

Commercial Rev     280

Broadcasting           140

Matchday                   90

Despite this they made a loss of £23m and their overall profit over the past 5 years has been quite small. This is typical American style financing, the whole set up is based on excessive borrowed money until the balloon goes up and some stupid Bank foots the bill. Meanwhile a lot of hangers on get rich. A bit like the UK property market !!!

47 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Barnsley are now being considered, and welcomed, as one of the top 20 teams in the Country.

I'll leave that here

and? they've been there before as well. If they earn promotion then they deserve to be recognised as a top 20 club in the country.

59 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I'd love to hear about a current England international's views on it, or even any player currently at one of the clubs. All I can say at the moment is if Kane intends to beat Rooney's record for England, he'll be going to Bayern Munich or PSG this summer

What can the players with a vested interest realistically say, though? They have to either criticise their employers or alienate the fans so I'm guessing their advisors have told them all to stay out of it as much as possible. The only players really having their say are ones who don't play for any of those 12 and know they never will, plus are not likely to get international call-ups any time soon.

19 hours ago, Monty13 said:

If they don’t they’ll destroy the EPL trying to retain short term value.

If the SL happens the EPL will eventually be worth less, it’s a matter of when not if. Those  teams will concentrate on the SL ahead of EPL games. Eventually more clubs will be tempted to join.

The EPL loses value if it lets these clubs still play or if they breakaway. Only by standing firm and banning them though dues it have any chance long term.

Yep, pretty ironic really to see the EPL reaping what they have sown and now being shafted in the same way that they shafted the Football League as was.

The Premier League have done huge damage to football in this country and most of all they have laid the foundations for the European Super League - there have been plenty of warnings over the years of what would happen if the logic behind the Premier League were taken to the next stage but those warnings have not be heeded.

But I agree absolutely that the only way forward is to completely ban the revolting 'six' from any participation in the real football competions, and it could turn out to be the best thing ever to happen to the Premier League and actually turn it into an interesting competition (although realistically that would also require them to dispense with VAR).

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 2

Rooney didn't condemn it as greed. No surprise from the man who avoided paying tax when at the club formerly known as Manchester United.

Wonder if Lineker will keep quiet hoping for the TV job?

Edited by keelansgrandad
?

10 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

and? they've been there before as well. If they earn promotion then they deserve to be recognised as a top 20 club in the country.

It was highlighting that less than 9 months ago, they were within a whisker of relegation to League 1. How quickly the World can change.

Absolutely they should be praised if they reach the Prem, but they have had one hell of a season already

What I find funny about it is that the 12 are desperately trying to manipulate other clubs to join. From the statement, 15 “founding” clubs will be guaranteed a place every year. Seems very much like a bribe for 3 other teams to get in on this quick to ensure their perpetual involvement and a slice of the pie.

My understanding is that the PL needs 14 members to pass a motion, and if those 14 decided to ban the other 6, surely it would pass? Can they do this in this?

If this is the case, this isn't so much about what the or PL can do, but the will of the other 14.

If those other 14 are against the super league then it may be bye bye time for the 6.

Edited by Dogbo Daggins

3 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

What I find funny about it is that the 12 are desperately trying to manipulate other clubs to join. From the statement, 15 “founding” clubs will be guaranteed a place every year. Seems very much like a bribe for 3 other teams to get in on this quick to ensure their perpetual involvement and a slice of the pie.

Lots of rumours that the other three are Bayern, Dortmund and PSG (makes sense as it’s hard to come up with another three equally high profile clubs). Noises coming from those three, particularly the two German clubs are certainly not positive. Cold feet maybe?

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Lots of rumours that the other three are Bayern, Dortmund and PSG (makes sense as it’s hard to come up with another three equally high profile clubs). Noises coming from those three, particularly the two German clubs are certainly not positive. Cold feet maybe?

The governments haven’t had enough time to react yet either, if they deem that this super league threatens the domestic pyramid it’s an easy voter sell to make this extremely difficult. I don’t think that the big six owners necessarily understand the storm that they may have brought down on themselves.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The governments haven’t had enough time to react yet either, if they deem that this super league threatens the domestic pyramid it’s an easy voter sell to make this extremely difficult. I don’t think that the big six owners necessarily understand the storm that they may have brought down on themselves.

I'm sure they fully understand and doubt they care about british politics. They own their clubs, not the government, the fans or the british public.

It's oft repeated but be careful what you wish for...

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I think it's clear those three spaces were reserved for PSG, Bayern and Dortmund. The Germans though have no interest, thank god, and PSG just aren't keen, which surprised me as I thought they'd be one of the main protagonists in something like this.

It turns out that the ones with multi-billion owners were less keen as they don't need the money and haven't been affected by the pandemic. Apparently Man City and Chelsea weren't overly sold on the idea, but just didn't want to risk being left behind.

James Milner

"I don't like it, I hope it doesn't happen" 

Liverpool captain on the night, that's a massive two fingers up at his owners. 

28 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rooney didn't condemn it as greed. No surprise from the man who avoided paying tax when at the club formerly known as Manchester United.

Wonder if Lineker will keep quiet hoping for the TV job?

Lineker is on the people's side.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Lineker is on the people's side.

Apart from the 6 owners I think there is only 1 side to be on.

• Like 1

The more I think about this the more I think it's going to happen to matter the restrictions. Man Utd EPL + Seperate team manager for ESL. Only the brand/Name matters to the billions of people outside Europe

Just think that if the Big 6 leave and every club then move 6 places up the football pyramid The Scum would still be in League One. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It was highlighting that less than 9 months ago, they were within a whisker of relegation to League 1. How quickly the World can change.

Absolutely they should be praised if they reach the Prem, but they have had one hell of a season already

got you. Yeah that's the crux of it. That minute hope that maybe 1 day Norwich might reach the champions league and have some big European nights. Boro have, Fulham have so why not?

The big 6 are running scared that they'll be swallowed up by more competition since they can't bully the other 14 as much as they used to. Arsenal could be looking at years without getting back in the champions league the way they are going. Leicester and Everton look consistently better sides than them and the likes of West Ham look better than them this season. Clearly they're looking to protect number 1 with this hijack of the champions league.

If the big 6 were clearly ahead of the rest in the league then I'd agree that something needs to be done but how dare they have the arrogance to pull such a stunt when they can't even get out of mid table in the prem at the moment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Saturday ncfc in the premier league. Monday I want Leeds yes Leeds to win a football match. I will wake up soon

Lets celebrate the best football team to grace the championship. Self funded. English owned.

Could Along come nodge start talking to their counterparts in the big 6 about a fan led revolt? Remember FC United of Manchester and AFC Wimbledon.

Players are their contracts not breached if they cant play internationals.

On the other hand the Premiership would be a sort of Super Championship and we are very good at winning that. NO do not sell our birthright for a mess of postage.

Yes, let's stamp it out.

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm sure they fully understand and doubt they care about british politics. They own their clubs, not the government, the fans or the british public.

It's oft repeated but be careful what you wish for...

UK Government could refuse clubs licenses to host games at their stadiums. 

These big 6 have a massive fight on their hands. 

7 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Porto announced that they've also turned down ESL invitation

Another interesting development. They can’t get this thing off the ground with just 12 clubs. If the overwhelming opposition puts off the next layer of clubs, exactly like Porto, from pinning their colours to the mast they they are in real trouble.

9 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Money men at Bayern and Dortmund may very well be interested but German ownership models means that all clubs must have a 51% voting power for fans. It will be hard to convince the fans on this.

Overall though, I find the arrogance of this amazing, especially the English clubs. Man Utd have struggled to qualify often for the CL since Ferguson. I can’t remember the last time Arsenal qualified for the CL and Tottenham’s history of involvement since it’s inception is spotty at best. Yet they are all determining they deserve a seat at the top table and they don’t feel they need to earn it, ahead of a club like say Ajax. I saw that Perez said last night that these clubs need to make up lost income due to Covid. This wouldn’t be a problem if clubs kept their spending in check but they don’t. Their budgets are stretched, based on being in the CL and getting to the latter stages while having full stadia. If any part of that falls down they are over extended. They need to cut their cloth accordingly, stop paying ridiculous transfer fees and handing out huge contracts. I repeat what I said yesterday, to announce they basically want more money during a pandemic that is financially crippling many people is unbelievably tone deaf.

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Money men at Bayern and Dortmund may very well be interested but German ownership models means that all clubs must have a 51% voting power for fans. It will be hard to convince the fans on this.

Overall though, I find the arrogance of this amazing, especially the English clubs. Man Utd have struggled to qualify often for the CL since Ferguson. I can’t remember the last time Arsenal qualified for the CL and Tottenham’s history of involvement since it’s inception is spotty at best. Yet they are all determining they deserve a seat at the top table and they don’t feel they need to earn it, ahead of a club like say Ajax. I saw that Perez said last night that these clubs need to make up lost income due to Covid. This wouldn’t be a problem if clubs kept their spending in check but they don’t. Their budgets are stretched, based on being in the CL and getting to the latter stages while having full stadia. If any part of that falls down they are over extended. They need to cut their cloth accordingly, stop paying ridiculous transfer fees and handing out huge contracts. I repeat what I said yesterday, to announce they basically want more money during a pandemic that is financially crippling many people is unbelievably tone deaf.

Spot on. 

Lastly, the other thing that strikes me is how silent the 6 English Club owners have been. If I was Klopp I would be very unhappy because he was sent out for his media obligations to be asked about a decision he didn’t want and wasn’t consulted about. The players also if Milner’s comment was anything to go by. The owners quite happy to throw the manager and players under the bus while they cower and hide the other side of the Atlantic 

Edited by seanthecanary

This is clearly going to be a matter for the courts to decide. I've just heard a European football expert on 5 Live say that the best thing the other clubs and interested parties can do now is to refuse to talk to the 12 altogether. They think they have power but in reality they don't. The suggestion was that the remaining 14 clubs resign from the Premier League immediately and rejoin the Football League. That would result in short term losses and financial adjustments to wages but long term it would give the rest of us security and put the matter to rest.

I see it as the best thing ever to happen to domestic football. I wouldn't say I don't care about the fans of the big 6 but this is their problem not ours. If they don't like it we can give them some guidance as to how to get rid of an unwelcome owner.

Dock them all 40 points now, ban any player who takes part in a SL from the international team. 

Fans should storm the pitches in a non violent way and stop the games until this awful power grab is stopped.