Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

This strikes me as a massive gamble by the top Prem clubs given how much the currently earn from TV. Will the SL achieve the same level of payment? I don’t think the Champions league earns nearly as much at the moment.

if the big 6 leave, that will hugely reduce the PL’s income.

But I think they’ve already opened Pandora’s box by letting the government step in to review how the game works overall. I suspect the big 6 won’t like the outcome.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is a fast-moving world, and the implications are far from clear, but it seems there are various possible outcomes.

One, that this SL falls flat, or that it was a bargaining ploy to get a better Champions League deal. In either case nothing much changes.

Two, that the SL clubs are allowed to stay in their domestic leagues. Then they will also play in the SL,  and other clubs in the PL will qualify for the Champions League and the Europa League, or their modified successors.

Three, that the SL clubs are kicked out, necessitating a reordering of the domestic pyramids, and in the PL again the clubs will aim to qualify for ther Champions league and the Europa Cup.

Unless I am missing something in none of these scenarios does the PL become a closed shop. There will still be European prizes for the teams that do well and relegation for those that do badly.

EFL will have huge pressure from their paymasters , particularly Sky.  If EFL booted out the 6 , Sky may consider the product they bought is not the same and review the contract . Less money for each of the remaining members .I can’t see EFL binning off the 6. 

41 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This would almost be rewarding the big 6 who don’t want their players to compete in international tournaments over the summer. 

While a long term ban from all international competitions for players might make it harder to recruit and retain players I think it would be best if the players currently at the teams are allowed to compete in the Euros. 

Only if fans boo them though 😏

The BBC News just now..., showing an Inter Milan ‘fan’ in Asia welcoming the news (... it didn’t say how many times he’s been to the San Siro) and another reporter describing football as a ‘product’. So depressing ☹️

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I had exactly the same thought.

Indeed - I'm tempted now to force them out - No Champions League for them this summer, no EPL next season, no FA or League cup.  Just their meaningless exhibition games against each other chasing a plastic trophy. Yes follow the money leave them!

I do fell sorry for the true fans of these clubs who expressed to a person outrage at what is happening.

No sympathy from me most of them bragged about how much money their owners were worth.

1 minute ago, Beetley Yellow said:

The BBC News just now..., showing an Inter Milan ‘fan’ in Asia welcoming the news (... it didn’t say how many times he’s been to the San Siro) and another reporter describing football as a ‘product’. So depressing ☹️

I saw him, Mark Wang.... More like Mark Wanger 😏

Anyone else annoyed that they threw in the token 'Womens Super League' in their statement to try to garner praise and come across as progressive and that they care about people. This type of thing makes me sick, it shows just how little they think of the intelligence of ordinary people that they think throwing in this token gesture because gender equality is such a hot button issue right now that they actually thought we'd be dumb enough to buy that sentiment. Also, who's to say the ladies teams even want to be a part of this despicable mess?  That also shows such disrespect that they automatically assumed without even consulting them that Womens football would be okay with this, it just shows a complete lack of respect for people. 

Everyone knows that billionaires consider themselves to be a class above ordinary people and this type of thing just really rubs salt in the wounds. I really wish there were fans in stadiums right now so we could let these parasitic, soulless lizard people know what we think of them

12 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

EFL will have huge pressure from their paymasters , particularly Sky.  If EFL booted out the 6 , Sky may consider the product they bought is not the same and review the contract . Less money for each of the remaining members .I can’t see EFL binning off the 6. 

That may well be true, GPB. I was just going through what at the moment seem the possible scenarios. As more info emerges there may be others. If the Six stay then there should be a happy knock-on effect for other clubs, assuming Uefa carry on with their Euro competitions.

If this had happened last season then Leicester, Wolves, Sheffield United and Burnley would have qualified for the Champions League, and Southampton, Everton and Newcastle for the Europa League...🤓

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

. If these top clubs get their way with a money-spinning closed-shop Euro-cup competition then there is less need for them to seal off the PL.

The only way they will get their closed shop will be by leaving the PL. What ever way you cut it the big boys know that only a closed league ensures their long term financial security and that has always been the ultimate aim. They've been bought off before but they look serious this time. If they do go it will certainly be a closed shop. What happens to the PL after that is pretty much an irrelevance.

16 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

There's  millions of them in Asia and thats where the demand will come from. Legacy fans do not come into the equation as far as the owners are concerned.

The owners think they can push this through and they will do so if not stopped.

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No sympathy from me most of them bragged about how much money their owners were worth.

I expect its going to come as a shock to some when they realise that the owners do actually own the club and are not some benevolent bunch of temporary custodians.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I expect its going to come as a shock to some when they realise that the owners do actually own the club and are not some benevolent bunch of temporary custodians.

Yes. Logically though the clubs will also go with an Asian rebranding in due course.  I doubt there will be two Manchester or three London based clubs eventually. US franchise model.

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That may well be true, GPB. I was just going through what at the moment seem the possible scenarios. As more info emerges there may be others. If the Six stay then there should be a happy knock-on effect for other clubs, assuming Uefa carry on with their Euro competitions.

If this had happened last season then Leicester, Wolves, Sheffield United and Burnley would have qualified for the Champions League, and Southampton, Everton and Newcastle for the Europa League...🤓

Sorry Purple - I didn’t mean to quote you - I suspect I had read your interesting post - then returned to my iPhone (without my glasses) and inadvertently replied to the last post I had read! 
hence the (largely ) unconnected reply!! 

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes. Logically though the clubs will also go with an Asian rebranding in due course.  I doubt there will be two Manchester or three London based clubs eventually. US franchise model.

The obvious next move if this comes to fruition.

49 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

If they don’t they’ll destroy the EPL trying to retain short term value.

If the SL happens the EPL will eventually be worth less, it’s a matter of when not if. Those  teams will concentrate on the SL ahead of EPL games. Eventually more clubs will be tempted to join.

The EPL loses value if it lets these clubs still play or if they breakaway. Only by standing firm and banning them though dues it have any chance long term.

Apologies if his has been posted already (haven't had time to read all the way through this thread) but apparently, we have spent more days at the top of the Prem than Spurs have 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to check that my passport is all up to date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to Garry Neville on Sky. He gets it as does Carregar. The owners are Scavengers, they think they are entitled. Neville really laying into the Glazers

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The obvious next move if this comes to fruition.

Only if the natives (sorry - make that 'legacy fans') just shrug their shoulders and sit on their backsides. If 'we' (football supporters generally) get seriously organised and take meaningful action, none of these  appalling scenarios need happen. The J W Henry's and Glazers of this world will soon sell up if the 'customers' don't turn up and demonstrate outside these grounds in their thousands when the 'special events' (matches to you and me) take place.  

It CAN be done and MUST be done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/liverpool-back-down-ticket-prices-77

Just now, ricardo said:

Listening to Garry Neville on Sky. He gets it as does Carregar. The owners are Scavengers, they think they are entitled. Neville really laying into the Glazers

He is slightly perturbed, isn't he?

• Haha 1

Certainly taking no prisoners.

Great to hear. They both understand what these proposals can do to us the fans.

10 hours ago, ricardo said:

All this reminds of of the time when the Premier League proposal first came out. Never going to happen, death of football etc etc. In the end money talked and the big boys got their way. I'm not saying this will all happen as per the proposal but I suspect that despite the present furore there will be some movement in order to placate the Big Six.

The one thing this has taught me over the years is that the structure of English football is never fixed in stone. I don't  think that we will ever return to a time when clubs saw themselves as an integral part of their local communities and were run by local worthies. Sad, but such is life.

Agreed, we are becoming a more selfish and inward looking world.

46 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Exactly. How many times have we heard pundits and fans talk about the need for "investment!" Investors invest to make a profit and at the moment the owners of many of the biggest club are not getting what they consider to be a satisfactory return on capital employed - indeed most make a loss.

The idea that investors ever did it for the good of fans and teams was always deluded - they do it to make money.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Exactly. How many times have we heard pundits and fans talk about the need for "investment!" Investors invest to make a profit and at the moment the owners of many of the biggest club are not getting what they consider to be a satisfactory return on capital employed - indeed most make a loss.

The idea that investors ever did it for the good of fans and teams was always deluded - they do it to make money.

Neville really laid into the Glazers on Sky. Reckons the state of Old Trafford environs is a disgrace, called them scavengers.

What is really sad is that I've not heard a word from a current English International footballer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Draw your own conclusions

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What is really sad is that I've not heard a word from a current English International footballer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Draw your own conclusions

I'd love to hear about a current England international's views on it, or even any player currently at one of the clubs. All I can say at the moment is if Kane intends to beat Rooney's record for England, he'll be going to Bayern Munich or PSG this summer

Saturday ncfc in the premier league. Monday I want Leeds yes Leeds to win a football match. I will wake up soon

Lets celebrate the best football team to grace the championship. Self funded. English owned.

Could Along come nodge start talking to their counterparts in the big 6 about a fan led revolt? Remember FC United of Manchester and AFC Wimbledon.

Players are their contracts not breached if they cant play internationals.

On the other hand the Premiership would be a sort of Super Championship and we are very good at winning that. NO do not sell our birthright for a mess of postage.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Surely only the simple minded thought they were.