Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

This all smacks of America. Franchises that move from one town to another. Can you imagine a hardened Liverpool supporter never going to a Everton match ever again? Spurs and Arsenal thinking they are Top six let alone Euro Super League is a joke! If you are Top six prove it every season or win UCL, UEL or the FA Cup. The system ain’t broke!

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

This all smacks of America. Franchises that move from one town to another. Can you imagine a hardened Liverpool supporter never going to a Everton match ever again? Spurs and Arsenal thinking they are Top six let alone Euro Super League is a joke! If you are Top six prove it every season or win UCL, UEL or the FA Cup. The system ain’t broke!

Beijing Arsenal and the New York Red Devils

• Like 1

Just a little aside to all the fans who have been on this site decrying Delia's and Mike's "limited" ambitions for the club: this is what you get when you invite billionaires to take over and invest their cash. They have no genuine interest in the heritage and cultural significance of a football club, or its symbiotic relationship to its fans. For them it will always be a business just like any other, or a mere play thing to satisfy their bloated egos. I suspect this will turn out to be a thinly disguised attempt by the "top" clubs to pressure their domestic leagues to give them an even bigger share of the pie to gorge upon.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was posting that as a solution if the six are kicked out, rather than saying I was expecting the six to be expelled. But there is a PL rule (Rule 9) which the six are certainly in danger of breaking.

Yes, the Daily Mirror agrees about Rule 9.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-leagues-rulebook-leaves-only-23938362

55 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

yup, seen the existing local fan bases described as "legacy fans". It's frankly disgusting.

Pretty accurate description for most of us posters on here really.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

All this reminds of of the time when the Premier League proposal first came out. Never going to happen, death of football etc etc. In the end money talked and the big boys got their way. I'm not saying this will all happen as per the proposal but I suspect that despite the present furore there will be some movement in order to placate the Big Six.

The one thing this has taught me over the years is that the structure of English football is never fixed in stone. I don't  think that we will ever return to a time when clubs saw themselves as an integral part of their local communities and were run by local worthies. Sad, but such is life.

This is different though, when the PL was proposed English football was in the doldrums, and the 'brand' was almost irreversibly damaged after Heysel, hooliganism and then Hillsborough.  The Premier League was needed to revitalise English football, and at it's heart is still based on sporting merit.  This new proposal on the other hand is just a money grab to enrich a select few with no regard whatsoever for the rest of the pyramid.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Trouble is that its not 'us' they are making this product for, its the hundreds of millions of Indian, Thai,  Chinese.and Arab Nations etc.  'We' are a very small percentage of the Global Market.....effectively powerless.

But how many Asian players are good enough to play at a decent standard?

They are wasting their time. They won't be screening it for nothing and without being colonial, can the prospective viewers afford it?

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

My son, who has studied football as part of his Uni degree, says its rumoured its backed by an american TV company, DAZN

He says they call the current fans of these clubs 'legacy fans' and they have no interest in keeping them other than from the historical marketing  side.

They want to be charging £200+ a ticket to go to the match as a special entertainment event, like they do with some american sports.

DAZN are what was formally Perform, who run Opta etc.  They are a British company, but ultimately owned by an American PE group.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if DAZN were involved in this, it makes the conversations I've had with some sports brands recently make perfect sense.

If the Government wanted to, they could kill this dead.   

Tie foreign footballers work permits to playing in the Premier League/Championship.  

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

They are wasting their time. They won't be screening it for nothing and without being colonial, can the prospective viewers afford it?

China have more money than god

Will we need a VPN to watch? 

Seriously though, I have no desire to watch this. 

12 minutes ago, Haus said:

China have more money than god

How much is God worth these days? Perhaps he’s behind this. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a neat solution to kicking the six out of the PL. You scrap relegation, saving Sheffield United etc,  and just promote the top six from the Championship, and so on down the  pyramid...🤓

Nah, let the Glasgow clubs in. Helluva couple of away trips.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

DAZN are what was formally Perform, who run Opta etc.  They are a British company, but ultimately owned by an American PE group.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if DAZN were involved in this, it makes the conversations I've had with some sports brands recently make perfect sense.

DAZN have apparently distanced themselves, or so I've read anyway.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nah, let the Glasgow clubs in. Helluva couple of away trips.

then we do to the Scottish league what they are doing to us

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

More can the broadcasters from those nations and their bars? Which the answer would be yes.

Just now, Haus said:

then we do to the Scottish league what they are doing to us

Yes, but I think "what they are doing to us" is a good thing in the long run. Turn football back into a sport rather than a business.

I think it will also work out better for Scotland, a more competitive league that's not dominated by two teams so with resources so far in advanced of everyone else that you can't even dream of competing.

There will be less money involved in both the English (British?) and Scottish leagues, but which fan really rates the entertainment value of a league by how much money is in it? Once the wages start to reflect the reduced income, we have more competitive leagues, over a dozen teams with a genuine chance at winning the league, the change to introduce a salary cap to make football more sustainable and maybe even lower prices to get into stadiums.

5 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

I can’t agree. No one wants this. For this Super League to work, the clubs involved need to be making more money from it than they do now. They wouldn’t be allowed to compete in any domestic or UEFA competitions so that revenue is gone. Absolutely no one wants this but a few greedy owners, even the fans of those clubs don’t want it so how does it make money? TV revenue is the cash cow and if no one is prepared to pay to watch a competition then it’s dead before it begins. There is also the question of whether players are willing to give up playing internationals. I guess some will be for potentially even higher wages but many of them already have wealth beyond their wildest dreams as a kid.

I honestly think this is nothing more than those clubs flexing, trying to squeeze more money out of UEFA. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this announcement came two days after those clubs were sat in a meeting about revamping the Champions League

Unfortunately the business concept is simple, tried, tested and imported from USA: Think NHL, NFL etc.

It works by going to casuals' pockets. Imagine "El Clasico" tier game every week. Twice a week! Imagine Liverpool vs ManC/Juventus/Madrid/ etc etc. Imagine Messi vs Ronaldo, every other week. Think any of the permanent members would have anything other than world top 20 players in every single position for every game? They award 400M to participants and that's a down payment. It's going to be a lot more. AND they'd get monopsony over player wages and most of all - the deals. I am not averse to cutting players' wages significantly but what we'd most likely see is Messi getting 150M instead of 100M and anyone outside 1st ring farm tier it's semi-pro hobby time.

They would rack in profits in the billions. People would watch it. There would be 2-3 billion audience who don't know nor care anything about football at local level. It's like having Super Bowl every weekend. And nothing else. The sport as we know it would be dead.

26 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

More can the broadcasters from those nations and their bars? Which the answer would be yes.

But the games are mid week evenings European time. What time is that in Asia?

It is going to be very interesting to see how the fans of these 6 clubs react when push comes to shove. They need to hold their clubs to account by not going, not spending money with them and ultimately cutting ties or starting a new club if they insist of pushing forward. I'm doubtful it will happen though.

15 minutes ago, Upo said:

Unfortunately the business concept is simple, tried, tested and imported from USA: Think NHL, NFL etc.

It works by going to casuals' pockets. Imagine "El Clasico" tier game every week. Twice a week! Imagine Liverpool vs ManC/Juventus/Madrid/ etc etc. Imagine Messi vs Ronaldo, every other week. Think any of the permanent members would have anything other than world top 20 players in every single position for every game? They award 400M to participants and that's a down payment. It's going to be a lot more. AND they'd get monopsony over player wages and most of all - the deals. I am not averse to cutting players' wages significantly but what we'd most likely see is Messi getting 150M instead of 100M and anyone outside 1st ring farm tier it's semi-pro hobby time.

They would rack in profits in the billions. People would watch it. There would be 2-3 billion audience who don't know nor care anything about football at local level. It's like having Super Bowl every weekend. And nothing else. The sport as we know it would be dead.

I would bet my left nut that it doesn't happen and this is just a bargaining chip for the revised Champions League .  Proven model in the US or not, this move is going to require a lot to make to it happen and be viable. Beyond money, the whole thing will not be sanctioned by FIFA, UEFA or any FA's.  That means they will have to form a whole new governing body and all the things that go with that.  At a national level, they will need policing and medical staff at stadiums and considering noises coming from the respective governments, there is no guarantee they will get access to those services in order to actually play games.

36 minutes ago, Upo said:

£300 a ticket, people doing it as a package holiday, teams moving cities to chase the money, 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Amusing how they clearly only care about money/advertising. Neither Ajax, Celtic or Rangers were invited to this super league.. Yet red bull Leipzig have been

Says it all

A lot of mick being taken out of Spurs for similar reasons at the moment

But the question would really be why wouldn’t they be involved?

This ‘bottom line’ illustration from that Swiss rambler says it all (a few years old but still stands):

image.thumb.jpeg.edc77386fe61ef810ac52217e88e9520.jpeg

Norwich City have no chance of european football under the current model as that is reserved for London, Manchester and Liverpool only. Once they have departed for their sterile competition, UEFA may develop european competitions that once again involve small UK cities. Bring it on.