Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

Brilliantly put from Gary Neville. It’s long gone time that the game stood up to these clubs

EPL EGM tomorrow . 1 item on the agenda. Points deduction for the 6 teams that have signalled  intent to alter the pyramid system - apparently this is fundamental to EPL . 

Voted on by the current Prem Members .

70 point deduction. Relegate three of them. Currently that would be Arsenal , Spurs and Liverpool ! 

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny how the Premier League, who started all this, are now panicking because their earner is drifting off into five or six clubs.

Indeed. The irony of greed and money ruining football seems lost on them and Sky. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny how the Premier League, who started all this, are now panicking because their earner is drifting off into five or six clubs.

Funny what letting a bunch of Yanks take over English clubs does to your "sovereignty" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

EPL EGM tomorrow . 1 item on the agenda. Points deduction for the 6 teams that have signalled  intent to alter the pyramid system - apparently this is fundamental to EPL . 

Voted on by the current Prem Members .

70 point deduction. Relegate three of them. Currently that would be Arsenal , Spurs and Liverpool ! 

Has to be approved by 14 members. Which one will the big six buy out to stop the vote? Sheffield United?

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Indeed. The irony of greed and money ruining football seems lost on them and Sky. 

Likewise agreed. PL squealing that it will destroy domestic football forever, when it was their acceptance of Sky’s filthy lucre back in 92 that has created the structure to facilitate the ‘big 6’. You couldn’t make up such blatent hypocrisy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Likewise agreed. PL squealing that it will destroy domestic football forever, when it was their acceptance of Sky’s filthy lucre back in 92 that has created the structure to facilitate the ‘big 6’. You couldn’t make up such blatent hypocrisy.

Karma sure is a strange one!

22 minutes ago, JF said:

Banning players who play for these clubs wouldn’t need to be legal. A national manager can merely overlook them for contention. Also how many of the players would be keen to play in a closed shop league knowing they can no longer represent their countries?

Pretty much all of them, at least if they are any good. If this flew as an idea it would be the pinacle of football quality and financial reward. Are suggesting the elite players would turn this down and take massive pay cuts just to play international football?

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I would imagine that for these big clubs at least 100x more fans pay to watch on tv than ever pay to get in the stadiums.(maybe thousands times more). Those that pay a premium rate for going to games are really just tv extras and should probably be paid accordingly.

I've often thought that footy shirts  bearing the name of the sponsor should be cheaper  than ones without.....if you can get them.

• Like 1

Quite a few fans of these clubs posting on Facebook that they would be done with their clubs if they follow through with this.  Not sure how much of that is talk, but I know if this was Norwich I couldn't support us going forward.

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Pretty much all of them, at least if they are any good. If this flew as an idea it would be the pinacle of football quality and financial reward. Are suggesting the elite players would turn this down and take massive pay cuts just to play international football?

I think you under estimate players ambitions to represent their countries in World cups. That is the pinnacle of football. Can you see players like Harry Kane and Sterling taking the news that they will no longer be able to represent their countries kindly? 

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I've often thought that footy shirts  bearing the name of the sponsor should be cheaper  than ones without.....if you can get them.

Especially for TV extras.

Already bored rigid with never ending meaningless Eurocrap . This plan should be chapter 1 in the Bumper Book Of **** Ideas .

1 minute ago, JF said:

I think you under estimate players ambitions to represent their countries in World cups. That is the pinnacle of football. Can you see players like Harry Kane and Sterling taking the news that they will no longer be able to represent their countries kindly? 

Yes, if it would cost them millions to play you wouldn't see them for dust.

Plus, what would a WorldCup in Qatar in Winter without the worlds best players actually be worth?

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Plus, what would a WorldCup in Qatar in Winter without the worlds best players actually be worth?

The German and french clubs haven’t signed up for this so there will still be plenty of star players on show. 

Just now, JF said:

The German and french clubs haven’t signed up for this so there will still be plenty of star players on show. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing in favour rather only critiqueing some of the response. PSG and Bayern may not have signed up yet, but they probably will do. If FiFA went for a ban, the new league would be playing at then same time. Financially, the World Cup will be dead in the water.

Strangely excited for the fireworks tonight... Feels like the whole thing is a poker game with 100's of billions being piled on the table.

Even though Gary Neville is on the sky payroll, I respect his very strong response on the TV this evening. It's nothing but a massive power grab by a self dubbed "big six".

10 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I disagree, I still think playing for your countries in major tournaments is a big pull.  Imagine if the big teams all signed up for this, all major players turned their backs on them and the so called "super" league went bust within a few seasons.

I do think though if players can't play for their countries, it kills this idea stone dead, and why I think it won't happen.

Does the UK Government have an opinion on this - sounds like a hostile takeover of our national sport by a major US bank.... Boris? Anyone?

25 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Whilst I certainly see that point of view, there's a big difference between bankrolling the big clubs to make them the dominant force and basically buying them off to leave completely.

16 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I disagree, I still think playing for your countries in major tournaments is a big pull.  Imagine if the big teams all signed up for this, all major players turned their backs on them and the so called "super" league went bust within a few seasons.

I do think though if players can't play for their countries, it kills this idea stone dead, and why I think it won't happen.

I’m wondering if there would be a breach of contract between the players and the clubs if they went ahead with this knowing that the players will be banned from international competition. Harry Kane on a free anyone?

"As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams."

From joint statement of UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A.

I think that it would be fantastic if this were to happen. We would be left with a properly competitive domestic league with fans all around the country being able to envisage their team being competitive in the Top division, which (Leicester aside) has been an impossible dream for anyone outside the "Big 6" for over 20 years.

I also think that by reducing the TV deal for the Premier league, which I  presume would happen, we would get away  from this craziness of nearly every team outside the big  6 being on a financial precipice.  The game would be stronger for it.

• Like 3