Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

Does this new competition just replace the Champions League or does it mean that the teams taking part would not participate in their domestic leagues?

Top European football clubs sign up to breakaway Super League

Up to 12 teams including Liverpool, Barcelona and Juventus set to join rival to Champions League 

Many of Europe’s wealthiest football clubs have agreed to join a breakaway “Super League” competition that would mark the biggest transformation of the game in decades. Up to 12 clubs have signed up to a plan, backed by $6bn in debt financing from JPMorgan, to launch a new tournament that would supersede the Champions League, currently the continent’s top annual club competition. According to people with knowledge of the discussions, those ready to join the breakaway contest include Spain’s Real Madrid and FC Barcelona; England’s Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea; and Italy’s Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan. These clubs either declined or did not respond to a request for comment. The new league, according to documents seen by the FT, would involve 20 clubs with 15 being “permanent members”, meaning they could not be relegated and would not need to qualify through strong performances in national league competitions. The founder members would be granted between €100m-€350 each and would continue to play in their national competitions, such as England’s Premier League and Spain’s La Liga. With expected revenues of €4bn for the competition through media and sponsorship sales, clubs would receive a fixed payment of €264m a year. JPMorgan declined to comment. The clubs not yet signed up include France’s Paris Saint-Germain and Germany’s Bayern Munich, among the richest in Europe, according to people close to the discussions. A declaration about the Super League is designed to head off an alternative plan for a radical transformation of the Champions League, which is run by Uefa, European football governing body. At Uefa’s annual conference on Monday it is set to approve a radical new format for its competition, which includes 100 more matches each season and more money-spinning ties between top teams. That move comes after the European Club Association, a body that represents the interests of more than 200 leading teams and led by Andrea Agnelli, Juventus chair, gathered last week to discuss the proposed reforms to the continent’s club tournaments.  The ECA agreed to allow Uefa to proceed with the proposed format changes, but there was widespread discontent with the plan, as leading clubs wanted to be given greater assurances over a new joint venture that would control all media and sponsorship rights for European club competitions. Uefa’s attempts to contact Agnelli this weekend to find out whether Juventus had agreed to join the Super League have failed, according to people close to discussions. However, other key power brokers have been informed, such as La Liga’s chief Javier Tebas, who is among the football officials seeking to block the breakaway plan. Leading clubs, which have faced steep revenue shortfalls in the pandemic, are keen on the new competition, which they believe will guarantee income from European matches every season. It could also include aspects of cost control, such as potential salary caps and spending limits. The competition would resemble the structure of “closed” North American sports leagues, where franchise owners enjoy reliable profits and with the valuation of teams steadily rising over time. But the plan breaks with the pyramid structure of the European game, where even the smallest teams, through strong performances on the pitch, can win the biggest trophies. Uefa declined to comment.

Edited by Van wink

Will say it's rather ironic that out of all the rich, billionaire ran clubs it's P$G that are against it. Good on them I guess, then again I take that 'Feel loyalty to our divison' is pretty much just beacause they always win it and going into a new divison full of top teams means they wont be winning it every season and thus less money.

EzQ_oINVUAUs9FL?format=png&name=large

Well this is huge from UEFA. You want your own divison? Have it, but you can never play it any other divisons, any other competitions and all your players will be banned from playing for their national team.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Have 1p5wich signed up for it?

Nope but Leeds will definitely be in it as they are the biggest club in the world with the best coach in the world 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this looks to replace the champions league but teams carry on domestically. Some teams are in the new league every time , but a few places “up for grabs”. 

Looks like the big clubs trying to ring fence their income . I can’t quite see whether PSG and Bayern have said no , or haven’t been asked? I suspect the former. 

Certainly blocks “The pyramid” system of qualification. 

Can't see how a club with a massive following, fantastic history and 13 billion quid behind it can possibly be left out.

Nothing on TWTD yet🤔

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Have 1p5wich signed up for it?

Almost certainly . And now their aspirational club is Brizzle City , they might insist that the Robins are allowed in too . Such is the power of ITFC. 

I can feel another statue coming on. 
(Although statues in Bristol have had a rough time of it lately) 

I actually think all the Super Rich clubs ****ing off and setting up their own league may make the PL more interesting again.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I actually think all the Super Rich clubs ****ing off and setting up their own league may make the PL more interesting again.

Yeah thats not the proposal though.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

You need to read it Monty . That’s not what is being proposed.

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You need to read it Monty . That’s not what is being proposed.

I did read it, I know what the proposal is but UEFA will never allow it.

That statement that was shown if real pretty much says it all. It’s go off and be greedy or stay, they can’t have both.

I’m merely suggesting if they did go I can see some benefit.

Reflecting on this further - teams wanting to break away and play this instead of Champions League - would need permission of the Premier League , which they wouldn’t get! 
So would have to leave the premier league ? 
UEFA have now condemned it. 
Maybe we have just qualified for a league without Man City , Man Utd , Spurs et al? 

OR 

This is part of the power play . Liverpool and Man U wanted to be ringfenced to some extent under the proposals that EFL liked (inc no parachute ) . Prem might have to back down on this to keep them in the league?

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

It's a league literally no one is interested in, I don't know a single fan of the big clubs who want a European League.   Uefa have condemned it too, I think this is a non starter.

Looking more likely this would go ahead at a cost of expulsion from all current competitions, domestic and continental. Would be a seismic shift in the game as we know it. The only way I can see if happening is if those involved are certain to get absolutely minted from it.

Sounds ridiculous. Teams would have to fly to loads of the away fixtures, and only really get any fan support at home games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looking more likely this would go ahead at a cost of expulsion from all current competitions, domestic and continental. Would be a seismic shift in the game as we know it. The only way I can see if happening is if those involved are certain to get absolutely minted from it.

There must be a media deal at the back of this ...otherwise where does the money come from? 

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's a league literally no one is interested in, I don't know a single fan of the big clubs who want a European League.   Uefa have condemned it too, I think this is a non starter.

You would be surprised what people will  do when big bags of money get thrown at them.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Sounds ridiculous. Teams would have to fly to loads of the away fixtures, and only really get any fan support at home games

The problem is Hazza, fans are the last thing on the minds of the people behind this. The income from then in terms of gates and in stadium spending is a drop in the ocean by comparison.

• Like 1