Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Nice Grauniad article

“I read a lot of literature and biographies. I’ve just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude by the Colombian author Gabriel García Marquez. I find them inspirational.”

Blimey,Daniel!!

Top reads lads, thanks.👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

“I read a lot of literature and biographies. I’ve just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude by the Colombian author Gabriel García Marquez. I find them inspirational.”

Blimey,Daniel!!

Top reads lads, thanks.👍

One Hundred Years of Solitude is a great read.

The first line of the book reads thus:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Well why wouldn't Daniel read a book about Emi's Grandad?  😉 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Blimey,Daniel!!

Top reads lads, thanks.👍

Do you think that he believes it is a multi-generational biography of the Emi's family?

• Like 1

My mate was talking about it just the other day and he put it down as one of the most complex novels he's read. I struggle with Lee Child at the moment so I'll put it on the "classics I'm not likely to read" list.😀

I wonder what language Daniel read it in?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Do you think that he believes it is a multi-generational biography of the Emi's family?

Maybe hoping to use it for scouting purposes...😉

31 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

One Hundred Years of Solitude is a great read.

The first line of the book reads thus:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Well why wouldn't Daniel read a book about Emi's Grandad?  😉 

Read it years ago. Can't say it left a lasting impression, but I seem to remember quite enjoying it. 'Magic realism' isn't it?Something like that.

For a really weird read Borges takes some beating.

11 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Read it years ago. Can't say it left a lasting impression, but I seem to remember quite enjoying it. 'Magic realism' isn't it?Something like that.

For a really weird read Borges takes some beating.

I am not a fan of magic realism generally (strikes me as a lazy way to achieve startling effects) but I enjoyed One Hundred... without wanting to read any others.

At least with most journalists now our cunning long-term plan, and the need for it, have become understood and accepted. There was - and this is quite true - a very good piece in the Mail (possibly Adam Shergold) several weeks ago. And Henry Winter has always had a soft spot for the club.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am not a fan of magic realism generally (strikes me as a lazy way to achieve startling effects) but I enjoyed One Hundred... without wanting to read any others.

At least with most journalists now our cunning long-term plan, and the need for it, have become understood and accepted. There was - and this is quite true - a very good piece in the Mail (possibly Adam Shergold) several weeks ago. And Henry Winter has always had a soft spot for the club.

Funnily enough there hasn't been that much criticism, from our fans, of "the project" this season. Maybe they have now finally figured out what it was and is achieving.

For a fantastic read, and not too taxing on the brain, give 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn a rattle. He somehow elicits some positivity out of the Gulag system - a story of life's small victories. A brilliant book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paddycanary said:

For a fantastic read, and not too taxing on the brain, give 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn a rattle. He somehow elicits some positivity out of the Gulag system - a story of life's small victories. A brilliant book.

Absolutely and totally agree with this paddycanary. And if you want to read something even better than 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' then read 'Cancer Ward' also by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Absolutely and totally agree with this paddycanary. And if you want to read something even better than 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' then read 'Cancer Ward' also by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. 

O if you've got the odd month to spare 'The Gulag Archipelago'

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 21:27, Thirsty Lizard said:

That's been on my "to read" list for about 10 years! Still haven't gotten round to it. Just finished "The Body" by Bill Bryson, fantastic book, particularly if you enjoyed "A Short History of Nearly Everything." And I'm almost finished "Word Perfect" by Susie Dent, another peach of a book, full of little nuggets! Love Susie Dent. Both books were requested & delivered in December, and two winners!

On 18/04/2021 at 22:27, ron obvious said:

O if you've got the odd month to spare 'The Gulag Archipelago'

I've held it in my hand, but I'm not sure if I'll ever tackle it. Sounds as heavy as it feels! You never know.

23 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

I've held it in my hand, but I'm not sure if I'll ever tackle it. Sounds as heavy as it feels! You never know.

There is an abridged version available which is very manageable

• Thanks 1

I still think Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder, should be required reading at school. Basically, a primer on philosophical thought throughout the ages.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I still think Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder, should be required reading at school. Basically, a primer on philosophical thought throughout the ages.

That's a new one on me, you've really made me think there (pun fully intended!)