Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Last nights game a reminder of the premier league

Mulling over last nights game this morning  (with a sore head!) it struck me that it was a reminder of our fate in the premier league.

At the start we looked really good and I have no doubt that we would’ve won comfortably if we’d kept 11 men on the pitch.

But just like last season in the premier league we then suffered as a result of a poor decision and then some bad luck ie ball ricocheting to Bournemouth player for 2nd goal, offside and then not offside decision and then 3rd goal definitely offside.

I don’t want to put a downer on things but my slight concern is how the team lost their heads for a bit and didn’t really readjust their game to deal with being down to 10 and in particular deal with Bournemouth’s gamesmanship. 
when we are winning and on top this team is a dream to watch but when faced with a more experienced and sneakier team, like those in Premier league, we can come a little unstuck and perhaps end up feeling sorry for ourselves and getting frustrated.

Im hoping it happened last night mainly due to the fact the team were just eager to win and properly celebrate promotion. But there is no doubt we will need to be a bit street smarter next year.

Yes, we will find it harder next season, but with a full team, we should be able to take some momentum from this season into next, with the improved defence, one or two additions and keeping most if not all of our star players. 

Think you're being a bit negative about last night OP. The fact is that Bournemouth had to smash in two great goals from 25 yards to win the game. It wasn't as though Krul was having to make a load of saves and that they were constantly creating chances. If we had VAR their equaliser might have been ruled out and their 3rd goal definitely would have been. 

I was having similar thoughts during the game too. Although it was a strange occasion in some ways, we did play deep and cede possession from the red card onwards. That "Premier League nous" got the better of us as the game wore on. Bmuff doubled us & Watford beat us on Stephen's Day. You could argue there have been extenuating circumstances for each of these losses, injuries, players on the naughty step etc., but we will surely be facing adversity and under the cosh against lots of teams significantly stronger than either of these. There will be injuries, red cards, dodgy decisions, controversial calls, VAR and all the rest next season. 

Hopefully the likes of Dimi, Omobamidele, Aarons and all the lads are on on upward learning curve and we can become a bit more streetwise moving forward. We certainly need to strengthen. Another big window coming up for SW.

Sadly, going down under contact, buying frees/penalties, play-acting to get cards awarded and these darker arts are ingrained in the game. We'll be further disadvantaged if we don't increasingly engage in them at a level akin to the other clubs. Would we be complaining if the likes of Ben Pearson's antics were being done by McLean, Cantwell or Buendia resulting in turning games in our favour? For me, these cheating activities are a cancer on the game but perhaps we need to smarten up a bit to be more competitive & consistent next year? It makes me sad when I watch underage games and see young lads diving and trying to win frees & decisions. It's a bit of a dilemma. 

Although the lads can certainly be forgiven for lacking a bit of 'fire in the belly' last night, it is a bit concerning how that second half went. If Watford get the win on Tuesday, that'll be both of the other relegated clubs after doubling us. And it's unlikely last night was the best preparation, although fully deserved of course! 

I'm sure we'll still claim the title, but for me there are still a few nagging concerns. Maybe I should just enjoy the moment! 🍾

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Think you're being a bit negative about last night OP. The fact is that Bournemouth had to smash in two great goals from 25 yards to win the game. It wasn't as though Krul was having to make a load of saves and that they were constantly creating chances. If we had VAR their equaliser might have been ruled out and their 3rd goal definitely would have been. 

Yup - spot on.  

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You’re right, I am being a bit negative...must be the hangover!

But this really emphasis my point...there were lots of games in the premier league where we played well, looked a decent team, only just lost etc. Those are the games where with a little more experience, knowledge and yes gamesmanship we could’ve won. We don’t need that in the championship because most teams don’t have players with the same level of skill as ours.