Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Hung out to dry

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You called?

Hi, I'm sorry but I seem to have the wrong monitor.....No time to chit chat.....Byeeee!....

14 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Hi, I'm sorry but I seem to have the wrong monitor.....No time to chit chat.....Byeeee!....

I haven't worked out which monitor to use either, but Iguana learn some day..............

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Definitely not a red card, if anything Pearson should have had it

3rd goal, no question, offside.

Bournemouth persistant cheating

Ref & linesmen have give us nothing

11 v 11 and we would have p*ssed it

Can only be retribution for us getting promoted today

would love to be pissed off about it but honestly couldn't give a toss 😂 Dimi can go top off his tan and pick up his favourite Teddy ahead of his permenant move anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

We need to get smart before next season. If teams are as 'professional' as Bmuff we always seem to struggle, getting drawn into sendings off, losing our composure, etc.. Yes Bmuff are a grubby little bunch of cheats, but they know how to get under the oppositions' skins, as do most PL teams.

And here is the issue we need to prepare for next season. We need more experience. 

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Definitely not a red card, if anything Pearson should have had it

3rd goal, no question, offside.

Bournemouth persistant cheating

Ref & linesmen have give us nothing

11 v 11 and we would have p*ssed it

Can only be retribution for us getting promoted today

As I’ve just said on a similar thread - that’s the first red Scott has given this year in 10 championship games. So therefore that is the worst tackle he has seen in the division. 
The worst tackle in 10 games . Total and utter cobblers. 

2 hours ago, Robornio said:

Never a red card. But we do need to work out more of a plan should this happen again. In hindsight, we should have kept Kieran on and taken Todd off (as I’ve seen more intensity and desire in a dog on tranquillisers). And what on Earth did Placheta offer in this game? A sad result, ruined by the ref, but it should be used to plan out a better strategy in the future.

How would taking Todd off have worked out differently?    A man down, we needed to keep the ball better and slow the game, not up the intensity!   Not so easy for Todd and Rmi to strut their stuff from deeper positions.   
With their quality, Bournemouth were the last team we wanted to lose a player too.    Fair ply to them, they were on it and spread the play superbly which made it exceptionally difficult.    

4 hours ago, Robornio said:

Never a red card. But we do need to work out more of a plan should this happen again. In hindsight, we should have kept Kieran on and taken Todd off (as I’ve seen more intensity and desire in a dog on tranquillisers). And what on Earth did Placheta offer in this game? A sad result, ruined by the ref, but it should be used to plan out a better strategy in the future.

You have to be joking, on crack, or brain dead to think Todd had no intensity. 

Nurse? 

How the game went was irritating at the time but seeing the lads celebrating in the changing room on social media was all that mattered afterwards. We are going to win the title if not Tuesday then soon after and might even get 100 points so nothing to be down about this morning. 

That said I’m up for an #AnyoneButBournemouth hashtag during the play offs 👍

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

At full speed my first reaction was Pearson was going to be sent off.

While I think it’s a super harsh red card, in all honesty does any one actually think it would be overturned on appeal? 

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

While I think it’s a super harsh red card, in all honesty does any one actually think it would be overturned on appeal? 

No. There is enough there to make the case for the ref - and would have been if he had sent Their 22 off . 
poor ref - slipping down the list. He did 20 prem games last year . 11 this year and 10 chump. 

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’m with you - I thought Pearson was the perpetrator, if anyone at all. He slid in low with far more intent than Guannoulis, who, to my mind, was trying not to make a bad contact and who had nowhere to put his foot.

A booking for both players at a push, but it was very much 50/50.

Unlikely to be overturned.

I know it was actually the correct result in that replays showed their player was onside but I still don’t see how a ref can overrule a linesman who has flagged for offside when the ref has no replays of the incident. That for me sets off massive alarm bells. 

The sending off is a weird one for me.  I can see why in real time that the ref decided it was a red card, Giannoulis did catch him late and was high up on his leg.  That said, that's only half the story because I don't really see that he did anything really wrong.  It was a genuine attempt to win the ball, he wasn't reckless or out of control.  It's the Bournemouth player that went flying in and ended with his studs showing. It was Pearson that went in with unnecessary force.  It seems unfairly harsh on Giannoulis but I can also see why the ref sent him off.

At the end of the day, it's a loss that doesn't really hurt us, we're up and Bournemouth will have to go through the lottery of the play-offs.  Without the sending off I think we would have stuffed them because they barely had a kick and we looked dangerous.  No need to dwell on the result, we're promoted and Watford need to make up 8 points in 4 games to stop us winning the league.  I know we have some tricky fixtures but so do Watford.  They have to play us, Swansea and Brentford in their last 4 games.  They'll do well to make up the point gap.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I know it was actually the correct result in that replays showed their player was onside but I still don’t see how a ref can overrule a linesman who has flagged for offside when the ref has no replays of the incident. That for me sets off massive alarm bells. 

Yes it's very rare these days that a ref will overturn a linesman. He must have been incredibly sure it was onside which I'm not entirely sure how he would be given his positioning but there are go.

Also didn't consult the linesman for the red card despite the fact the linesman would have had a great view of it. Pearson played the officials and virtually dived into Dimi's foot. I think what did it for Dimi is that his leg being held in the air made it look like a stamp in real time, even though it wasn't. Where else was he meant to put his leg when being slid into? I'd love us you appeal but can't see them overturning the ref on this occasion as it's a 50/50 at best. Should have either been a yellow to both for excessive force, or nothing

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Perhaps the Ref realised that the ball had hit one of our players on the way through (but the Lino thought the **** player was on side when his team mate hit the shot but it had hit another **** player on the way through?) and was just clarifying if the Lino had realised that. No problem with it tbh.

• Like 1

On the plus side Watford lost so the result doesn't matter

Having now watched the highlights (I missed the first half) I'm not really sure we can have too many complaints over the sending off- but at the same time a yellow each wouldn't have been unreasonable as Pearson flew into that challenge.

As said above though, the ref overruling the linesman on the second goal is a little concerning, and the third goal is a clear and obvious offside. All in all a poor game for the officials on what should have been a postcard night, but now all eyes must turn to Watford.

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Perhaps the Ref realised that the ball had hit one of our players on the way through (but the Lino thought the **** player was on side when his team mate hit the shot but it had hit another **** player on the way through?) and was just clarifying if the Lino had realised that. No problem with it tbh.

The referral was who played the ball - it was Omi’s deflection - that was flagged. Lino / Ref would have discussed that 

It was a correct - although unusual- decision. The issue is that it clouded the Lino’s decision making who then doesn’t flag for the third goal that was 2 yards offside . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yes it's very rare these days that a ref will overturn a linesman. He must have been incredibly sure it was onside which I'm not entirely sure how he would be given his positioning but there are go.

Also didn't consult the linesman for the red card despite the fact the linesman would have had a great view of it. Pearson played the officials and virtually dived into Dimi's foot. I think what did it for Dimi is that his leg being held in the air made it look like a stamp in real time, even though it wasn't. Where else was he meant to put his leg when being slid into? I'd love us you appeal but can't see them overturning the ref on this occasion as it's a 50/50 at best. Should have either been a yellow to both for excessive force, or nothing

You can see from photos that Dimi genuinely goes to play the ball and is not out of control at all until that little cheat comes flying in and basically slides under his foot. There is minimal pressure contact as he has to balance so I agree it won’t be overturned but never a red. 

Was the end of a decent unbeaten run with wins that gives us promotion, we lost a player thru a red card, the opposition had at least one, maybe two, dubious goals when on another day they could have been flagged offside...these kinds of things happen to all teams  and happens both for and against us at times, City  are no different, we both benefit and suffer  such things to...its what makes football unpredictable and constantly changing.

Bournemouth are on a great run themselves, their team is stuffed with Premier league experience, i absolutely expected this result, but its one game in a season of 46...and that is the magic number...46. We have done better than Bournemouth, will end as Champions for a second successive season when playing this  division...stupendous and a wonderful feeling. OTBC.

24 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The referral was who played the ball - it was Omi’s deflection - that was flagged. Lino / Ref would have discussed that 

It was a correct - although unusual- decision. The issue is that it clouded the Lino’s decision making who then doesn’t flag for the third goal that was 2 yards offside . 

I would be amazed if the linesman even realised their was a deflection. He flagged as he thought their player was offside and I maintain it’s not right for the ref to overrule him without access to replays. There is no way that linesman said , “I thought he was off from the deflection (and thought it came off a Bournemouth player) but not the original cross.” It’s not like it’s one where there was a big ricochet and it’s not clear who the ball came off. 

They may have fluked the right outcome but it was dodgy as hell. 

I am still fuming. 

The downright cheating...

Screaming out loud, every time a City player brushed against them. 

The rolling around. 

Yanking our players back deliberately when we were through on goal and only getting bookings. 

Targeting Kenny for a second yellow.

The list is endless. 

Reminded me of Middlesbrough, when they won 1-0 at ours. 

2 minutes ago, Kit said:

This^^^  When it was clear how **** were going about things, I was looking out for trouble once Kenny was booked and sure enough they tried to get him sent off.  It is this kind of thing that shows the worst side of football and is one of the things VAR should help with next season.  It was on the left when Kenny went across to cover an attack and the player who was on the blind side of the ref went down as if poleaxed and it was clear on the replay Kenny had done absolutely nothing.  Credit to the ref for not falling for it because in real time, it might have looked more like a foul.  **** player should have been booked. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It was on the left when Kenny went across to cover an attack and the player who was on the blind side of the ref went down as if poleaxed and it was clear on the replay Kenny had done absolutely nothing.  Credit to the ref for not falling for it because in real time, it might have looked more like a foul.  **** player should have been booked. 

That was Pearson again wasn’t it? An absolute disgrace of a footballer, but Woodgate seemed proud. They’re all complicit and I’ll be keenly looking for their demise until each and everyone retires. 

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

That was Pearson again wasn’t it? An absolute disgrace of a footballer, but Woodgate seemed proud. They’re all complicit and I’ll be keenly looking for their demise until each and everyone retires. 

That was Pearson and he was only feet away from the referee, who had a clear view. The replay was even more damming. 

Edited by dj11
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I think it was Brooks? On their right wing, in front of the City Stand?

Edited by Crabbycanary3

9 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Woodgate was at Leeds for years.....says it all.  I used to like Bnmth, but after that show, I hope they stew in the Championship and we get Brentford and Barnsley going up with us and bring a breath of fresh air to the PL.   I just hope we as a club don't go too far down that cynical route, because it is ruining football. I remember Leeds in the 70s and they were masters at it - too many clubs are trying the same thing nowadays and it ain't good to watch nor good for the game.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kit said:

I am still fuming. 

The downright cheating...

Screaming out loud, every time a City player brushed against them. 

The rolling around. 

Yanking our players back deliberately when we were through on goal and only getting bookings. 

The list is endless. 

Reminded me of Middlesbrough, when they won 1-0 at ours. 

I'm with you on this. Often no cards either for niggly fouls. On three occasions players held their heads too when tackled and fell to ground. One was Pearson who feigned as if he had been punched in the face by Kenny off the ball. Objectionable tactics. All set up I'm sure by Woodgate. 

I think some teams try and bully us because they know they cannot play to our level. We have seen that a few times (Blackburn, Boro come to mind). Then the teams from the PL previously tend to engage in theatrics. Bournemouth are the latest. It's cynical and depressing all at once. Perhaps other teams think we are the same though.

Oh well, we ARE the outstanding team in this league, bar none. Least Bournemouth have to go through the play off system. Lots of Norwich fans will cheer whoever they play against. Meanwhile we have a title to win.

The inconsistency is amazing, first we get the red card, then Pearson puts in a performance worthy of any amateur dramatic show and fails to pick up any sort of card for his role.

But the one that staggered me was when Sorensen absolutely clattered one of their players on the touchline in the second half and he didn't even get spoken to. It was a bad, bad challenge.

7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I think it was Brooks? On their right wing, in front of the City Stand?

Yeah, it was him.  Interesting was that a bit later he got booked and Woodgate hauled him off the pitch straight away.