1 hour ago, horsefly said:

We'll almost certainly have to lash out a fair amount on a Pukki back-up especially as the post-brexit regulations rules out the possibility of bringing in an "undiscovered" talent from Europe (No more Buendia or Pukki style signings alas).

we just need to be careful what we do. Pointless getting another Drmic type punt in, might as well stick with Hugill if that's the case.

I'd maybe even look at the championship or league 1 like we did when we got Steve Morison in. He was ideal foil for Holty for a good season or so. I wonder how Tyrese Campbells recovery is going...

Siriki Dembele from Peterboro is another name being looked at by prem sides.

Soto and Idah need to be out on loan somewhere next season playing lots of games.

Higill won’t be going anywhere and will be third choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we just need to be careful what we do. Pointless getting another Drmic type punt in, might as well stick with Hugill if that's the case.

I'd maybe even look at the championship or league 1 like we did when we got Steve Morison in. He was ideal foil for Holty for a good season or so. I wonder how Tyrese Campbells recovery is going...

Siriki Dembele from Peterboro is another name being looked at by prem sides.

Good call Tettleys Jig - Steve Morrison type of player.

9 hours ago, Indy said:

Nope that was never bought up till Wacky did, mine was I’d rather keep and use either Idah or Soto as that third option as they suit our style and offer more. But that’s just opinions.

Regarding Soto, this simply isn't based on any evidence whatsoever.

The guy has played a handful of first team games, none of them for our first team, and he offers more than Hugill? Farke obviously doesn't think so.

People need to scale back the Soto hype until he actually does something and his best chance of that is going on loan somewhere.

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

I suppose the main thing about Hugill is that he offers that other option.

Think traditional bustling centre-forward, good in the air being an essential.

This type of player often seems to have a place even in today's Premier League abound with more sophisticated, skilled and pacy forwards.

I might be using the wrong example, but suspect that Glenn Murray should spring to mind having been employed by  all of Brighton, Bournemouth and Palace at Premier League level over the years.

There are others and, at the top end of the spectrum, Liverpool once paid a king's ransom for Andy Carroll and there's always this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/21/vardy-lewandowski-vintage-traditional-no-9s-thriving-again-topping-scoring-charts

No comparisons to be suggested here in terms of quality, but in playing that role Hugill has proved his effectiveness. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Certainly had the chance to show a bit more. I really can’t say as others he’s my third choice, we’d have more in Idah or Soto.... but we certainly need to spend big on a second striker and a big, athletic and mobile holding midfielder to shore up our team.

But each to their own opinions.

FFS, he did just about all he could - put himself about and won a decent number of headers but annoyingly there was no one there to receive the ball. One foul given against was utterly ridiculous, their guy jumped at him and injured himself - never in a million years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

FFS, he did just about all he could - put himself about and won a decent number of headers but annoyingly there was no one there to receive the ball. One foul given against was utterly ridiculous, their guy jumped at him and injured himself - never in a million years.

Spot on! He was actually the only player (other than Hanley) who showed that when a physical presence is needed he is more than capable of disrupting the opposition's plan to bully the side. We shouldn't need that presence too often next season, but when we do I'm happy that he is there to provide such an option. I certainly wouldn't want us to blow £20m plus on a similar "physical" centre forward who won't see many minutes and will sit on the bench disgruntled at not getting much game time.

Edited by horsefly

On 19/04/2021 at 15:33, Indy said:

Exactly.....great piece of salesmanship, as he’s not forced his way into our side nor got anywhere near enough goals to raise interest from other clubs, brilliant by Farke. Should get back some of what was paid 😉👍

Eh? He's not had a chance to get anywhere near enough goals simply as the chap who has his shirt has also been banging balls in like Wayne Rooney when confronted with grannies!

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Eh? He's not had a chance to get anywhere near enough goals simply as the chap who has his shirt has also been banging balls in like Wayne Rooney when confronted with grannies!

Did you not notice my wink! Some people do bite quick.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Did you not notice my wink! Some people do bite quick.

I actually thought the wink meant something else entirely - instinct was that you meant satisfaction with his salesmanship. Fair enough! 🙂

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I actually thought the wink meant something else entirely - instinct was that you meant satisfaction with his salesmanship. Fair enough! 🙂

I don’t rate Hugill as much as others, I haven’t seen anything in his game to say he’s worth keeping in the premiership. There’s a reason he’s had the career he’s had, for me I’d much rather develop our youngsters, others see it differently which is fair enough, be a boring world if we didn’t have different opinions 💛👍

I dont quite mirror the thinking of a lot of people herer who see it as a necessity to get in a high quality "second" striker. Norwich can't really afford to spend enough to get someone that is guaranteed to be better than Hugill. As far as plan B goes, Hugill seems pretty decent. He hasnt scored many late goals, partly cause Norwich very rarely has even had to be chasing leads. But he is clearly useful in protecting a lead or chasing one. He can wrestle in the box and hold up the ball. If Pukki is injured he can wrestle past defenders and score a few tap ins and annoy defenders enough to give our wingers space to score. Is he as good as Pukki? No. and thats why he is plan B. The obsession with finding a high level plan B seems a bit defeatist in that it assumes we will see a repeat of the same old pattern from 19/20 and plan A will fail.

Hugill's numbers are underwhelming sure, but so were Pukki's Celtic numbers. It may very well be that Farke sees enough in the Hugill/Idah combo to be relaxed with the striker role. I think the Pukki/Idah/Hugill trio are good enough and complement each other well. I wont protest if they for example get that exciting Greek in from the Eredivise though.

What Im thinking tho is that maybe its better to focus on improving plan A, then wondering what to do when it fails. Squad wise a quality reserve centre back is needed though, as well as someone of high standard who can replace Skipp and complement McLean/Rupp/Sörensen in midfield. My personal gripe is the hole at no 10. In that position there seems to be three serious alternatives, four if you count Rupp, none of whom are quite good enough. Vrancic is good for coming on and scoring free kicks and doing Hollywood passes while looking handsome, but he seems terminally unable to run around for 90 minutes, and when he runs he does so ever so slowly. Stiepermann was great 18/19, the best season in his career, even at his best he will not be able to influence matches positively in the Premier league consistently. Dowell has not been able to impose himself on games, he occassionally does something nice and then he goes missing, consequently Farke hasnt trusted him with 90 minutes barely ever this season, is Dowell suppossed to improve a bunch while moving up a league? I dont see it happening. With all the no 10. options available I'd rather see someone who isnt a no 10. in that role, like McLean or Rupp who at the very least put in a shift, press and defend competently and quickly.

So I suggest Farke and Webber take a pilgrimage to some mountains in the Balkans and try to find either a hungry 21 year old, or maybe into the italian midtable and find some disgruntled older player with a point to prove. I know I went totally off topic, hope that not illegal. Anyway basically I just want Webber to uncover the new Josip Ilicic and take us to the europa league, how hard can it be? Just spin the roulette wheel, its bound to land on red sooner or later

• Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 21:41, Branston Pickle said:

That foul was an unbelievable decision

1 hour ago, shruk4 said:

What Im thinking tho is that maybe its better to focus on improving plan A,

This^^^

The way we play, when at it's best, is good enough to beat anyone so surely we strive to play with plan A but do it better and more consistently.   Plan B should be nothing more than putting on extra attacking players for chasing a game.

Hugill as something about him which I like - bags of desire - and huge honest endeavour to go with it, which goes a long way in any kind of sport. He is also strong in the air and I can see him being a nuisance to the opposition in the PL. 

A front three of Idah/Pukki/Hugill is a strong physically and so if chasing a game, those three could be quite effective.

• Like 2

Keen to see how Idah "Summers." He could be a revelation.

He seemed to stagnate a bit last season (co-inciding with his International call up which was ok, but panned by Roy Keane,) and then there were the injuries/illnesses as well. Did he contract Covid?

Clean sheet for him this coming season and Farke will need decide whether a season on loan in the Chumps is needed.

We retain Hugill for 'nuisance' value and that so-called 'alternative option.' Seems a useful character to have around.

Getting in a.n. other top class striker is imperative ... and a couple of our youngsters could also come into contention?

It needn't be that bad, but that signing will be crucial and hopefully more use than Drmic.

I like Nketia at Arsenal as fitting the bill, but doubt his availability ..... even as a loan.

Edited by BroadstairsR

It won't be as easy to open up prem defences as we have in the Championship . Think for the additional minimal spend Hugill would be good to have on the bench . Cantwell and Buendia will be targeted by opposing teams - Emi in particular will be singled out and have to learn to count to 10 . Stop them and you will stop the team . Hugill would be valuable to add physical presence when needed . If the right ball is delivered in the air  has always shown he can be dangerous . Can cause trouble in defences with physical presence . Agreed not a number 1 but a valuable guy to have on the bench . Would not be intimidated and seems to have a positive affect on the changing room . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Keen to see how Idah "Summers." He could be a revelation.

He seemed to stagnate a bit last season (co-inciding with his International call up which was ok, but panned by Roy Keane,) and then there were the injuries/illnesses as well. Did he contract Covid?

Clean sheet for him this coming season and Farke will need decide whether a season on loan in the Chumps is needed.

We retain Hugill for 'nuisance' value and that so-called 'alternative option.' Seems a useful character to have around.

Getting in a.n. other top class striker is imperative ... and a couple of our youngsters could also come into contention?

It needn't be that bad, but that signing will be crucial and hopefully more use than Drmic.

I like Nketia at Arsenal as fitting the bill, but doubt his availability ..... even as a loan.

I think the risk with Idah, is that if he doesn't start to get regular playing time soon, he could almost be held back in his career progression. At 20 he still has time on his side yet, and a season on loan getting regular footy may better suit him than one as back up. Especially as if he is called upon regularly I am not convinced he could deliver at this level yet.

With Pukki being 31 I don't think it is unfair to look for a striker that's 26-28 and in form to add genuine competition and back up to Pukki. Ideally someone that can offer pace.

I love Pukki, but boy did we rely way too much on him last time in the premier league. And at the end of next season he'll be 32. You always need to have one eye on the future.