Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Daniel Farke to Frankfurt - and a break clause?!

You know things must be going well for us when it isn't just your players in demand. Frankfurt tipped to have put Farke on a four man shortlist to replace their manager who is off to Gladbach. Seems they also have a vacancy for their Director of Football, so maybe this will need filling first?

Of greater interest/concern is the suggestion Farke has a break clause in his contract? First I've heard of this.

I have to say - I saw the Gladbach vacancy come up and wondered if Farke might be linked. I know Farke's family reside in the Dortmund area, and Frankfurt is somewhat close. Could a move to be closer to family tempt him away?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well if its true then the board have to try and keep him with some assurances about spending etc.

Nah, they just have to tell him it's some amateur club in Frankfurt an der Oder...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Would Frankfurt, going into a European campaign, take a punt on someone so unproven? For us, the job Farke has done here has been remarkable, but a bigger club may have a concern that he has only one top flight season on his CV which went very badly. 

Obviously the people doing the hiring at any prospective 'big' club are not stupid and they would know full well that there were financial constraints and Josip Drmic, but there may be seeds of doubt.

Hopefully, anyway.

• Like 1

Cant see it myself, I think Farke will be hoping to have a good season next year to attract the attention of Dortmund or get himself a Premier League sized contract extension with us. One thing Im sure of, much like Buendia, this will be the last time that Daniel is a Championship manager, I cant see he sticking around if we were to go down and id say its 50/50 to if he extends if we stay up as Im sure he does have ambitions above and beyond us. I just hope when he leaves that we are in rude health and can have the pick of the next big thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Cant see it myself, I think Farke will be hoping to have a good season next year to attract the attention of Dortmund or get himself a Premier League sized contract extension with us. One thing Im sure of, much like Buendia, this will be the last time that Daniel is a Championship manager, I cant see he sticking around if we were to go down and id say its 50/50 to if he extends if we stay up as Im sure he does have ambitions above and beyond us. I just hope when he leaves that we are in rude health and can have the pick of the next big thing.

I was thinking along similar lines. My theory is that we have one season more with Daniel. If we do well he will leave at the end of the season to something bigger back home or if it goes pear he will go anyway (maybe not his own choice.)

Just a theory so don't hold me to it.😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I was thinking along similar lines. My theory is that we have one season more with Daniel. If we do well he will leave at the end of the season to something bigger back home or if it goes pear he will go anyway (maybe not his own choice.)

I think you're right, I woulld expect him to relish the challenge of the PL next season, unfinished business.

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I think you're right, I woulld expect him to relish the challenge of the PL next season, unfinished business.

Yes - Pep needs another masterclass !

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Agree. I think he was telling the truth, in that he never breaks a contract. Especially now that we're going up.

If this job came up this time next year, I think it would be the logical next step for him. 

If Ralf Rangnick is going to be the Sporting Direction then it won't be Farke as the head coach. Rangnick likes high pressing teams which Farke doesn't do. I'd be more worried if I was a Barnsley fan about them going for Ismael.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he does go, then I hope everyone on here will say a big thank you and wish him all the best for his future and not come out with nasty comments.

He has given us a football team to be proud of and we now have a base to build on, whether he is the ‘bricklayer’ or it is somebody else.

Having said that, I really hope he (and Webber) stays and helps us consolidate our Premier League status.

• Like 4

Farke has always said he would honour his contract, and has never broken one, so highly doubt that will change given he's just about to win another title and get another crack at the Premier League. Webber leaving could be a catalyst for change at the end of his current contract, but I can't see him doing anything other than staying. Management in football has turned into a short-term career in the modern era - in fact, Farke is amongst the top 10 EFL managers in terms of career longevity with his current tenure at Norwich. I can't see anything changing as everyone loves Farke through and through, and he's proven he can turn things around this season so there's no reason for the marriage not to continue if both parties are happy

Scenarios for after next season -

1) We do well in the PL which attracts a top club somewhere, be it uk or elsewhere, which he decides he wants.

2) We do badly and get relegated and he feels he has taken us as far as he can.

3) We do well and he decides he wants to take us on the next step up.

4) We do badly and get relegated and he wants to do it all again.

Of those scenarios, the most desireable is obviously number 3, least desireable number 2.  Most likely? Still number 3 imo.

One more scenario is that he sees a club where he feels he can do a job as a Director of Football - he's several times hinted he might want to do that in the future. Oh.....and that begs the question, if Webber decides to go at the end of next season, there would be a D of F vacancy at Norwich.......

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Maybe Farke replaces Webber for continuity?

It’s a neat idea, but the skill set is quite different. Webber has contacts and experience all through English football which must be hugely important when recruiting, whether players or staff. Farke will obviously have developed something of a network while with us, but nothing like the same scale. I’d have thought another ten years coaching at different clubs would be a much better base to start a career as an SD.

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Ralf Rangnick is going to be the Sporting Direction then it won't be Farke as the head coach. Rangnick likes high pressing teams which Farke doesn't do. I'd be more worried if I was a Barnsley fan about them going for Ismael.

To add to this, there is talk that Rangnick is going to be both head coach and sporting director, certainly in the first season. I believe that was the reason he never ended up at AC Milan, as they wanted to keep the head coach on and place him above but he turned that down.

I don't know much about German football, why would the Frankfurt manager abandon a team that looks certain to have a tilt at the Champions League next season for one that might not even be in Europe?

Are Frankfurt a small club compared to Borussia Monchangladbacjk;ljfpoeau

Wonder if it’s just a head coach anyone want Culverhouse? Should the worst happen and Farke leaves.

22 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't know much about German football, why would the Frankfurt manager abandon a team that looks certain to have a tilt at the Champions League next season for one that might not even be in Europe?

Are Frankfurt a small club compared to Borussia Monchangladbacjk;ljfpoeau

Adi Hutter is leaving largely because the Sporting Director Bobic is leaving. Max Eberl at Gladbach is considered one of the best Sporting Director's in the Bundesliga and Hutter probably wants to go and work with him and build something there. I'd say Gladbach are a bigger club than Frankfurt, although largely historically, so not really a huge pull factor.

If Hutter had heard that Rangnick was on the way in, it would have been a factor as they worked together at Salzburg and there is a bit of a personality clash apparently. (Which isn't uncommon with Rangnick as he is a little difficult to get on with apparently).

Gladbach were doing well this season and in 5th place until it was announced that their manager, Michael Rose, would be leaving at the end of the season to go to Dortmund. The Bundesliga has a habit of managers and players announcing they are off to other clubs towards the end of the season. Frankfurt's next game, the first after Hutter announced he is leaving is against Gladbach...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Adi Hutter is leaving largely because the Sporting Director Bobic is leaving. Max Eberl at Gladbach is considered one of the best Sporting Director's in the Bundesliga and Hutter probably wants to go and work with him and build something there. I'd say Gladbach are a bigger club than Frankfurt, although largely historically, so not really a huge pull factor.

If Hutter had heard that Rangnick was on the way in, it would have been a factor as they worked together at Salzburg and there is a bit of a personality clash apparently. (Which isn't uncommon with Rangnick as he is a little difficult to get on with apparently).

Gladbach were doing well this season and in 5th place until it was announced that their manager, Michael Rose, would be leaving at the end of the season to go to Dortmund. The Bundesliga has a habit of managers and players announcing they are off to other clubs towards the end of the season. Frankfurt's next game, the first after Hutter announced he is leaving is against Gladbach...

As a forces baby I was born near Mönchengladbach so I've always treated them as my second team.

The attitude to players and managers moving on is very different in the Bundesliga. Players announce in January they will leave at the end of the season and some even announce who they are going to, recently it was Thorgan Hazard to Dortmund and I remember it was the same when Der Stegen went to Barca, it's just treated like that's part of football, teams and fans make presentations to the players and they get nothing but good wishes for the future. I can't say that attitude happens in British football, it's rarity for a player to announce in January that they are definitely leaving and who they are going to.

After last season Gladbach were always going to find it hard to match their results but they've shown glimpses of what they're capable of. Looking forward to see what Hutter will do.

16 hours ago, Indy said:

Wonder if it’s just a head coach anyone want Culverhouse? Should the worst happen and Farke leaves.

NoThanks

16 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I assume that's not the Michael Rose who played for us in League 1...

Yes, the 'break' clause is true.  If anyone so much as looks at our Daniel in a covetous managerial fashion, we get to break their legs.

It's LEGally binding, too.