Given the reasonable possibility of our not having Skipp next season, I've been wondering for a while whether Aarons has the skill set to play this role. 

I get it's perhaps a little out there, so do feel free to have a Pinkun pile on, but I think his mobility, pace, ability with both feet, stamina and defensive awareness could see him thrive in the role. 

And it would be cheaper to get a serviceable right back to replace his position than buy a player of Skipp's (and potentially Max's) ability in midfield. 

I get he's not the brick outhouse many think we need in this position, but neither was Makele or, more recently, Kante. 

👍

Not to the idea itself, one, because I think Max will leave this summer and secondly, he's played on the right for at least four seasons now, it would be a big mindset change even without the need to learn new physical skills.

But 👍 because it had become a PinkUn meme to have frequent posts saying that Farke should redeploy Ben G as a CDM, and I miss them. When Max goes perhaps we could suggest moving Hugill there?

• Haha 1

Or maybe we should redeploy that promising left back we have... that Sorensen guy to play as CDM? 😉

• Like 4

Olly Skipp has, of course, been excellent with knobs on, but he is not irreplaceable. No footballer is. Maddison being our latest example. Even Ben Godfrey if you like.

We need not jump through hoops to cover for him. Trust our recruitment to compensate and teams also adapt. The better the head coach the better the adaption. Farke is better (much) than most.

The idea of Max as a CDM is not a bad one OP, but I feel it might be rather late in the day. Not only is he fully established as one of the best wing-backs in the game, I also think that he is likely to be the first to go. I have sensed it, it seems others have as well.

It may even be the case that we are more likely to lose Aarons than Skipp for next season.

We have to hope upon hope that the exit door is not as utilised as some fear over the next few months. 

We may even have to face the prospect of supporting a very different looking team next season though; but I trust Farke/Webber etc.100% (well nearly, but at least I didn't say 110%.) to come up with the answers.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

It could work, but you lose the best of Aarons that way, which is those surging runs from deep. I'd agree that he could probably do a good job of playing that role, but I think you'd cut off what sets him apart.

Aarons best attributes are...

Pace

Ability to take players on

Swift give and go passing

Solid tackling

Only one of those is what you want to see in a defensive midfielder really. By playing him there I think you neuter his strongest elements (you really don't want your defensive midfielder charging up the pitch taking on players) while potentially highlighting his lack of height and physicality.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Imagine the central midfield pairing of Aarons and Godfrey, we'd have been unstoppable.

Godfrey as CDM? Interesting idea... 🤔🤣

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Aarons best attributes are...

Pace

Ability to take players on

Swift give and go passing

Solid tackling

This with ice cream sauce and a cherry on top. Why move a player to a position that doesn't utilise his best attributes? Daft.

36 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I could see mumba playing there. 

Indeed! I believe that's where he began playing for Sunderland's youth teams. However I suspect he is highly unlikely to be considered an option there for next season. Our defence is going to need an awful lot of protection next season, and I suspect it will require someon with a bit more physical heft. Time will tell.

• Like 1

He won’t be here next year so you haven’t got to worry about what position he will play

I'm sure the last suggestion on this forum is that he should play upfront. 

Personally i'd like to see Aarons managing the team. 

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Olly Skipp has, of course, been excellent with knobs on, but he is not irreplaceable. No footballer is. Maddison being our latest example. Even Ben Godfrey if you like.

We need not jump through hoops to cover for him. Trust our recruitment to compensate and teams also adapt. The better the head coach the better the adaption. Farke is better (much) than most.

The idea of Max as a CDM is not a bad one OP, but I feel it might be rather late in the day. Not only is he fully established as one of the best wing-backs in the game, I also think that he is likely to be the first to go. I have sensed it, it seems others have as well.

It may even be the case that we are more likely to lose Aarons than Skipp for next season.

We have to hope upon hope that the exit door is not as utilised as some fear over the next few months. 

We may even have to face the prospect of supporting a very different looking team next season though; but I trust Farke/Webber etc.100% (well nearly, but at least I didn't say 110%.) to come up with the answers.

Spot on.

Our recruitment will already have people lined up to replace certain players. Its not like we will lose Aarons and think "oh we need to go out and find a right back now".

Same with Skipp, they probably already have 1 or 2 who they would like if Skipp doesn't return.

Heard the odd bit saying Rupp can play right-back if required. That wouldn't surprise me either. He definitely looks like someone who's got that skillset.

Just remember Rupp on the right during Project Restart, wasn't very memorable.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Heard the odd bit saying Rupp can play right-back if required. That wouldn't surprise me either. He definitely looks like someone who's got that skillset.

He's likely a solid 3rd choice 'do a job' type for that position.