Thirsty Lizard

Six Potential Loan Options for Next Season

With our ability to pay Premier League level transfer fees severely limited I'm sure we'll be looking to make good use of the loan market next season -  especially after our failure to make good loan signings last time in the Premier League.

Here are six (hopefully realistic) possible options. I've not included Skippy in the list because his situation has already been extensively discussed on here already. 

1. Marc Guehi (Chelsea - currently on loan at Swansea).  Central defender who we have been linked with before. Has played for England at every age level from U16 to U21 and spent the second half of last season and all of this season on loan at Swansea where he has been a regular in a defence which has been almost as miserly as ours. 

2. Harvey Elliott (Liverpool - currently on loan at Blackburn). Winger/attacking midfielder who has shone against us this season, scoring a brilliant solo goal in the game at Ewood Park and setting up the equaliser with a perfectly directed free-kick at our place. Second (only behind Emi) in the Championship assist table this season and has also scored 5 goals. 

3. Connor Gallacher (Chelsea - currently on loan at West Brom). Central midfielder who we reportedly tried to sign from Chelsea when he was on loan at Charlton. Seen as a box to box midfielder with a great work rate he has been one of the standout players at West Brom this season. 

4. James Garner (Manchester United - currently on loan at Nottingham Forest). A primarily defensive midfielder who we have recently been linked with in press reports. Known as a tough tackling central midfielder who likes to get stuck in he has gone down really well the Forest fans since he moved there half way through this season. Spent the first half of this season on loan at Watford where he made 20 appearances.

5. Billy Gilmour (Chelsea). Attacking midfielder touted as one of the brightest young talents in the game Gilmour has a reputation as being a livewire attacker with great dribbling ability and passing vision. Has found his path to the first team at Chelsea blocked by the mega money forward players that the Blues have stockpiled over recent seasons. 

6. Joe Willock (Arsenal - currently on loan at Newcastle). Midfielder. Another whose name has been mentioned in connection with us in the past, possibly as part of a player plus cash deal if Arsenal do move for Emi. Has impressed in his recent loan spell at Newcastle, who may be interested in taking him again if they stay up, but the possibility of more game time with us might mean he and Arsenal see us as an option. 

I've stuck to British based players because I just don't have enough knowledge of players from Europe and beyond - although I'm sure our scouting team do. 🙂 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 2

Not too bad a list - we just have to hope we are more lucky than last season and avoid the misses (Roberts) in favour of the hits (Hucks).

I still think we have a fair chance of Skipp returning - I don’t think he’s ready for the Spurs first XI and they may prefer him to have decent game time elsewhere in the PL. If they do we’d have to be in the box seat.

41 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

With our ability to pay Premier League level transfer fees severely limited I'm sure we'll be looking to make good use of the loan market next season -  especially after our failure to make good loan signings last time in the Premier League.

Here are six (hopefully realistic) possible options. I've not included Skippy in the list because his situation has already been extensively discussed on here already. 

1. Marc Guehi (Chelsea - currently on loan at Swansea).  Central defender who we have been linked with before. Has played for England at every age level from U16 to U21 and spent the second half of last season and all of this season on loan at Swansea where he has been a regular in a defence which has been almost as miserly as ours. 

2. Harvey Elliott (Liverpool - currently on loan at Blackburn). Winger/attacking midfielder who has shone against us this season, scoring a brilliant solo goal in the game at Ewood Park and setting up the equaliser with a perfectly directed free-kick at our place. Second (only behind Emi) in the Championship assist table this season and has also scored 5 goals. 

3. Connor Gallacher (Chelsea - currently on loan at West Brom). Central midfielder who we reportedly tried to sign from Chelsea when he was on loan at Charlton. Seen as a box to box midfielder with a great work rate he has been one of the standout players at West Brom this season. 

4. James Garner (Manchester United - currently on loan at Nottingham Forest). A primarily defensive midfielder who we have recently been linked with in press reports. Known as a tough tackling central midfielder who likes to get stuck in he has gone down really well the Forest fans since he moved there half way through this season. Spent the first half of this season on loan at Watford where he made 20 appearances.

5. Billy Gilmour (Chelsea). Attacking midfielder touted as one of the brightest young talents in the game Gilmour has a reputation as being a livewire attacker with great dribbling ability and passing vision. Has found his path to the first team at Chelsea blocked by the mega money forward players that the Blues have stockpiled over recent seasons. 

6. Joe Willock (Arsenal - currently on loan at Newcastle). Midfielder. Another whose name has been mentioned in connection with us in the past, possibly as part of a player plus cash deal if Arsenal do move for Emi. Has impressed in his recent loan spell at Newcastle, who may be interested in taking him again if they stay up, but the possibility of more game time with us might mean he and Arsenal see us as an option. 

I've stuck to British based players because I just don't have enough knowledge of players from Europe and beyond - although I'm sure our scouting team do. 🙂 

Erm what's this. These seem like realistic options. Also bear in mind Farke has a good relationship with Tuchel. 

Garner has gotten rave reviews this season but unlike Skipp probably won't be being included in Man U's squad.

Elliot looks a real talent and could be an option if Buendia or Cantwell leave.

There may be a couple who want to get off the eternal loan cycle like Matt Miazga at Chelsea or Marko Grujic at Liverpool who may not cost a bomb.

24 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Erm what's this. These seem like realistic options. Also bear in mind Farke has a good relationship with Tuchel. 

Apologies. Ridiculous I know. 😉 

Not a bad list, to be fair. All of those would be realistic options on loan, but obviously we'd have competition and in some cases their parent clubs may look to cash in and sell permanently which could take them out of our price range.

I think central and/or attacking midfield would be the areas where loans are the most likely. Would a team be prepared to loan us a winger if Buendia and Cantwell both stay? And personally speaking, I'd prefer an experienced player at centre back if possible, but wouldn't say no to someone like Guehi on loan if we could get him as it saves paying out a big transfer fee.

Another name who could be an option is Ampadu. We were linked with him last summer before he signed for Sheffield United and we signed Skipp, so it wouldn't surprise me if we get linked again. Saying that though, he has never really impressed me when I've seen him despite being highly rated.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not a bad list, to be fair. All of those would be realistic options on loan, but obviously we'd have competition and in some cases their parent clubs may look to cash in and sell permanently which could take them out of our price range.

I think central and/or attacking midfield would be the areas where loans are the most likely. Would a team be prepared to loan us a winger if Buendia and Cantwell both stay? And personally speaking, I'd prefer an experienced player at centre back if possible, but wouldn't say no to someone like Guehi on loan if we could get him as it saves paying out a big transfer fee.

Another name who could be an option is Ampadu. We were linked with him last summer before he signed for Sheffield United and we signed Skipp, so it wouldn't surprise me if we get linked again. Saying that though, he has never really impressed me when I've seen him despite being highly rated.

And has got a huge amount of criticism from sheff u fans for his performances but they have played him CB which I dont really think he is.

To me, what's almost as important as Skipp's superb performance on this pitch is that we've now demonstrated to "big" clubs that we make an excellent possible destination for their young talent! Previously, all we had on our CV in that regard was the flop loan of Roberts from City.

I'm hoping we'll have much better recruitment this summer than we did in 2019. We'll need it!

I have been hoping Spurs win every game with outstanding performances by their holding midfielders.

Unfortunately they are woeful so I have resigned myself to seeing us trying to persuade a player such as Gilmour to come on loan.

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have been hoping Spurs win every game with outstanding performances by their holding midfielders.

Unfortunately they are woeful

This could work in our favour. If Spurs deem it a priority, they might spend £40m on someone which would see them have little use for Skipp.

Here's hoping!

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

40 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Unfortunately they are woeful so I have resigned myself to seeing us trying to persuade a player such as Gilmour to come on loan.

Don’t give up on getting Skipp back if Mourinho is still at Spurs next season.  Despite his protestations, he is awful when it comes to blooding young players himself. He’ll use already established young players but he is somewhat risk averse to giving them their start himself. If Skipp was 28 we would never see him again but I’m hopeful we can get him back.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This could work in our favour. If Spurs deem it a priority, they might spend £40m on someone which would see them have little use for Skipp.

Here's hoping!

Personally can personally see them cashing in on Winks, Hjoberg and Skipp playing there and moving Ndombele further forward.

Thought Harwood-Bellis looked impressive for Blackburn against us a couple of weeks ago (on loan from Man City).  Could see us getting 1 or 2 from Pep.

Watford fans weren’t impressed with Garner and he lost his place after Xisco arrived as manager which is why Man Utd recalled him from there. And when he played against us the comments on the match thread were about how he was trying to kick our players at every opportunity. Also he is out of contract at the end of next month.

From what I have seen Watford fans said he started really well then fell away completely. I have also seen Forrest fans saying how good he was at the start but not so much now. Strange. 

6 hours ago, Move Klose said:

I think we still need a premier League quality no10. Isn't Messi out of contract this summer...?

4 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

Don’t give up on getting Skipp back if Mourinho is still at Spurs next season.  Despite his protestations, he is awful when it comes to blooding young players himself. He’ll use already established young players but he is somewhat risk averse to giving them their start himself. If Skipp was 28 we would never see him again but I’m hopeful we can get him back.

He's got a great track record of selling youngsters and then regretting it. Salah, Lukaku, De Bruyne to name a few...

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I thought Gilmour was a fanciful idea, but now Tuchel is there he hasnt played as much. And Farke may be able to tap up Tuchel as a contact to improve his first team squad with youth talent like he did at Dortmund 2. And we have two Scottish internationals in our side who could make him really welcome.

Here’s hoping!

I do wonder if the big prem teams will be less likely to loan and more likely to sell some of their young players to help make up the lost revenue and enable them to strengthen with first team players. Players who they'd previously rather keep than sell for 10m on the basis they  could reach the level they need them to could change to them wanting the money instead of the potential.

Lamina is on loan at Fulham from Southampton. He's played really well every time I've seen him. There was an option to buy but not sure what happens to that if Fulham go down.

13 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

To me, what's almost as important as Skipp's superb performance on this pitch is that we've now demonstrated to "big" clubs that we make an excellent possible destination for their young talent! Previously, all we had on our CV in that regard was the flop loan of Roberts from City.

I'm hoping we'll have much better recruitment this summer than we did in 2019. We'll need it!

That's a very good point. In fact we as NCFC fans are often oblivious to the high regard with which many other clubs hold us (and that was true before the Farke / Webber era which has enhanced that reputation). If the 'contacts' and 'relationships' which these two have with some top managers and clubs is to be believed then I see no reason why we can't land a really good player (or two) from them.   

Let's not try to be too dependant on loan players. Oliver Skipp is a very good player who has been moulded into our team exceptionally well but now, we have little choice in the matter, we are going to lose him. 

Skipp has become an integral part of the team and his loss will take some replacing at a time when he would have been needed most.

Meanwhile, how much money have we made Tottenham by playing him, coaching him, giving him the exposure and experience of being part of a winning team. All Tottenham have done in the last season is reduce their wage bill.

I am beginning to think all loans should be accompanied by a 'right to buy' clause, at a price agreed at the outset of the loan. Then if a club enhances a player's value by their efforts they would not be penalised should they try to make the transfer permanent. Loans should benefit both parties, at the moment they greatly favour the bigger clubs.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Let's not try to be too dependant on loan players. Oliver Skipp is a very good player who has been moulded into our team exceptionally well but now, we have little choice in the matter, we are going to lose him. 

Skipp has become an integral part of the team and his loss will take some replacing at a time when he would have been needed most.

Meanwhile, how much money have we made Tottenham by playing him, coaching him, giving him the exposure and experience of being part of a winning team. All Tottenham have done in the last season is reduce their wage bill.

I am beginning to think all loans should be accompanied by a 'right to buy' clause, at a price agreed at the outset of the loan. Then if a club enhances a player's value by their efforts they would not be penalised should they try to make the transfer permanent. Loans should benefit both parties, at the moment they greatly favour the bigger clubs.

I get what you mean but can’t see how that would work in practice. There is a big issue of the bigger clubs buying up all the talent, sticking them in huge academies, loaning them out and then turning a profit (see: Chelsea). Reducing the number of players out on loan they’re able to have would naturally help I think.

12 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I get what you mean but can’t see how that would work in practice. There is a big issue of the bigger clubs buying up all the talent, sticking them in huge academies, loaning them out and then turning a profit (see: Chelsea). Reducing the number of players out on loan they’re able to have would naturally help I think.

As an example, we loaned Skipp with Spurs putting a value of say £20M at the end of the loan. We decide whether we want to go ahead or not with the loan and then at the end of the loan decide if we want to purchase at £20M. Similarly if Spurs really want the loan to go ahead they put the value at £5M. In that way if we enhance the players value we prosper by taking up the option to buy a £20M player for £5M which we have helped to produce. 

A new negotiating exercise and agreement for loans throughout!

2 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

As an example, we loaned Skipp with Spurs putting a value of say £20M at the end of the loan. We decide whether we want to go ahead or not with the loan and then at the end of the loan decide if we want to purchase at £20M. Similarly if Spurs really want the loan to go ahead they put the value at £5M. In that way if we enhance the players value we prosper by taking up the option to buy a £20M player for £5M which we have helped to produce. 

A new negotiating exercise and agreement for loans throughout!

Spurs would just say the value is £200m and Norwich would have still agreed to the deal as they wanted to get Skipp in for the season, fully knowing there is no way to make the loan permanent (not that Skipp would agree a permanent deal with Norwich anyway).

City, with nineteen players out on loan atm and most of them youngsters are currently embarking upon the Chelsea route as well surely?

Would we have wanted York City to have a right to buy clause for Ben Godfrey after his season (of development) at Shrewsbury? Maddison played in Scotland for a season.

The loan system has developed as an integral aspect of the transfer market these days.

I don't recall when loan fees actually evolved, but they really amount to a temporary purchase. Clubs like Chelsea turn it into a business. I wouldn't know how much City are gaining these days, suspecting the value to be mostly from development and a saving on some wages.

The original list was quite good and who wouldn't want Harvey Elliot in the yellow? But I should imagine just a season of that lot would cost a fortune.

Edited by BroadstairsR

And this highlights the problem. Loans were originally brought in as a temporary measure to help clubs in difficulty. It has turned into a way of getting the best value out of very large production lines of young players mainly helping the richer clubs become richer.

I accept this is the way of modern football but the way the top clubs now use it for their benefit is a long way away from the original intention.

I cannot recall when loan 'fees' became established but didn't think they were in place from the start of the loan system.

They have made it a semi-transfer in effect. Not an outright purchase but so far away from the original concept as to make it a separate business.

I suppose you could also say the same for development loans. It's a three tier system now.

If City loan out Idah for a spell, or even Placheta they surely would expect a fee?

For Barden and Omidabele would it just be wages?

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

And this highlights the problem. Loans were originally brought in as a temporary measure to help clubs in difficulty. It has turned into a way of getting the best value out of very large production lines of young players mainly helping the richer clubs become richer.

I accept this is the way of modern football but the way the top clubs now use it for their benefit is a long way away from the original intention.

You could argue at a lower level we're benefiting from it as well. Cantwell in particular is a fine case in point.